Car Audio- and "Growing Up"

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Ahhh yes...the days of driving around with gigantic subwoofer enclosures filling the cargo area are long gone here as well, but not due to having kids. My ears have matured and I prefer SQ over sheer SPL nowadays.

Car audio is a pain in the ass these days compared to even the early 2000s with all the integration as previously mentioned. However, I spent about $1500 and 3 days upgrading my F150 last January; it was worth it. It's a company vehicle so "sneaky" was the key.

Focal PS165FX in the front doors
PC165F in the rear doors
2 Dayton Audio Classic 8" subs under the rear seat (Supercab so pretty limited on places to stash subs)
Infinity 7005A 5-channel amp that I got from Crutchfield's outlet
Plenty of Dynamat
Best of all, if you just peek in the windows, you can't tell anything's been changed as I retained the stock Sync/headunit and the subs tuck under the rear seat. Amp and front crossovers are mounted behind the rear seat.

Again, aimed more so at good, clean sound versus blow your eardrums out. Also wanted to keep it as basic as possible in case I need to rip it all out and turn the truck in on short notice.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yeah I’m thinking about moving mine to the sail panel. F150 has a horrible location for the tweeter.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
I never got into stereo/speaker upgrades. As long as the music exits the speakers without static I'm happy.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I never got into stereo/speaker upgrades. As long as the music exits the speakers without static I'm happy.
I think it's just like any other hobby. If it doesn't interest you then you just never develop a passion for it. On the plus side for you, audio can be pretty abusive to your wallet so if it's not your thing, you might be luckier than me. lol I was exposed to "good" audio at an early age and it stuck with me. As a younger man, I couldn't afford high end gear so I settled for the best I could muster which really only produced loud noises. Now, as I've aged, my ears prefer certain sound reproduction and accuracy. Example: Young me probably liked loud metal tweeters chirping in my face because "louder is better." Modern me much prefers larger fabric tweeters for their smoother characteristics. However, I do make exceptions if/when traditionally bright tweeters are well-blended into the midrange. I.E. Klipsch RF-7iii

More of a response than you probably wanted, but like I said, it's become a hobby/passion so any opportunity to blab about it makes me happy. lol

C2tuck

Established Member
I wish. My wife is an accountant by trade and anything over $50 triggers an audit. I bought them in two separate transactions as you can see, and it just shows up as "Amazon" on the statement.

You need to sneak into your wife’s purse while she’s asleep and steal your balls back.

I buy what I want.

Users who are viewing this thread