Car and Driver Article on 2001 Cobra

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member

david

If you notice the camaro is a 98 and not a 2001 like the cobra
every year the gm gives the ls1 a little more hp, so if there going to compare it at least compare it to the current year!!

no flames just telling you as it is

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
hmmm okay no flame taken, but I think what they meant by that was that was the fastest camaro of their last reviews of camaros in the past, including the 2000, but I dont know if they tested the 2001 yet. Why doesn't Chevrolet show the 2001 0-60 and 1/4 mile times? I can't seem to find any official times (ones I trust) on the net for them yet.

quick99snake

Established Member
isepic, thank you SO much for posting that link! now i can have documented evidence that the cobra will hand with an SS. none of my (gulp) chevy-loving compatriots would believe me. now i can show the bastards. and as for the 2001 camaro, it only has 5 more horse, so maybe now it will run a 4.8 0-60, same as the cobra?

david

Ok what a joke , gm under estimates there horsepower and ford over estimates, If you need proof just go to any dyno , or track for that info, best 01 cobra 13.5 maybe 13.4 best 01 ss 12.8
all stock . Ok next question :read:

2001LaserRed

Established Member
I really hate to get involved in this discussion, but MM&FF ran a 13.3 with a stock 2001 Cobra in 90*, high humidity, low barometer weather. I'm sure the 12.8 was run with good conditions? Anyway, the Sept issue has the article.

And I'm not saying that the Cobra would beat the SS at the same track with the same driver, but that it would certainly be competitive and do better than you've indicated.

Anyway, that's my 6 cents (inflation).

Jeff.

quick99snake

Established Member
i agree, and to be exact, the '01 cobra ran 13.34 @ 105. and as far as chevy underestimating, i agree. as for ford overestimating, that happened one time in '99, because parts were out of spec, and now that it's fixed, noone will let them live that down. all i was saying is that the cobra will now HANG with the SS, not beat it. but then again, driving on the street is totally different than on the track, and i have trouble keeping up with SS's on the street

david

Ok ford has sruck out twice with the horsepower claim once in 99 we all know the cobra problem , and 2001 with the built mustang
, but I do agree with you street and track would be differnt results, my opinon track would be ss and street would be cobra or even a gt mustang now this is light to light, but after second gear the FAT LADY is singing her ass of!! of course for the ss

cobra are sweet thou I wanted one back in 99 and put they stoped making them and told me to wait ti 2000 and i did , I waited over a year and a half for that dam car and finally got fed up with svt and went to slp because the rumors no 01 cobras:eek:

:dw:

quick99snake

Established Member
the bullitt mustang should have been sold as an appearance pkg. only. most people would never notice the extra 5-10 hp anyway, they should have just left it the same motor as the gt. i'll be happy when they come out with the mach I edition.

REDLYNE

Established Member
Originally posted by quick99snake
the bullitt mustang should have been sold as an appearance pkg. only. most people would never notice the extra 5-10 hp anyway,

Actually, a guy I know had a 99 GT and traded up to an 01 Bullitt and said that one thing he can feel FOR SURE is the Torque increase down low! Supposed to be close to that of our cobras! Unfrotuantely, they don't maintain it like our cobras... :r:

I even saw a DYNO graph (compared to that of a GT) and the peak rwhp difference was 8rwhp (GT was higher). However, the Bullitt curve had a much nicer curve. The Bullitt was stock and the GT had exhaust and K&N.

But you're right...it ain't worth $4K!!!!!:dw:

Users who are viewing this thread