Can't touch the throttle

ba#97

Established Member
how long have you been autocrossing btw? because to be completely honest...if you are somewhat new to it especially with a big hp car...as much as we all hate to admit it...if a car slides around a ton...it's usually the drivers fault first...then you can blame the car...remember...the throttle is not an on and off switch! remember this...it makes a huge difference. trust me I'm not being a dick...I learned this too. lol.

96 cobra

Established Member
dunlop ZII's are supposedly going to be great as well (just pre-ordered a set :)

a few other brands are coming out w/ newer versions of their 'extreme' tires in the next few months...

KILRSVT

Established Member
Just one season and yes I found out quick that throttle is the reason why my car was pretty sideways but particularly on that course due to stiff suspension and really bad uneven pavement alot of the guys avoid that place tends to be a disappointing event ... Lol

ba#97

Established Member
where was it again? not marina was it? I hear marina is a great local. I love mather air field really...but we struggle to get events there now. yeah I would recommend the rs'3s if you don't want to go all the way to slicks for sure.

KILRSVT

Established Member
No it was Oakland coliseum the pavement there is awful I'll check out the rs3 but I think I might do r888 or nt01 or ra1 since there somewhat affordable ... I've heard Mather air field is pretty good I wanna say Maier told me it was cool are you guys having any events out there this year

ba#97

Established Member
oh ok...yeah I haven't gone down to any of the american autox events yet anyways because of how far they are....mather is awesome...there are two sites...the active side and the ex-b52/chp training side....we use the chp side which is good...but I did one event with the porsche club on the active side last year where we set up a nationals style gated course and man it was awesome. we do have two events out there this year...sadly I won't be there due to deployment.

they don't have a new schedule yet but it will be at this link when they do come up with it...
S.C.C.A. Sacramento Solo2 events

ba#97

Established Member
oh ok. well now I'm hearing some good things about these new dunlops as well. It all depends on if you want to be 100% competitive or not too. because if you get out of a street tire class, r888's, nt01's or ra1's won't cut it against these guys running a6's or the goodyears. lol. just from what I've seen on the time sheets.

KILRSVT

Established Member
This year I plan to buy a house I think I won't be doing any events any time soon but if I do get a chance I really want to get out to Infineon raceway or thunderhill for hpde so r888 or nt01 are ok with me but before I even think of any of that any need tires get my rear coil over and shocks going and I really want a roll bar and race seats ... Stupid expensive hobby lol I wish I was into sports I'm looking at 5k to get the car where I want. I already dumped 7k on it what's another 5k

Last edited:

ba#97

Established Member
This year I plan to buy a house I think I won't be doing any events any time soon but if I do get a chance I really want to get out to Infineon raceway or thunderhill for hpde so r888 or nt01 are ok with me but before I even think of any of that any need tires get my rear coil over and shocks going and I really want a roll bar and race seats ... Stupid expensive hobby lol I wish I was into sports I'm looking at 5k to get the car where I want. I already dumped 7k on it what's another 5k

lol...we all hear ya man. well if you want to move to open tracking then you and I are literally in the exact same spot with our cars, I'm actually about to move to some nt01's...just caged my car and put seats and harnesses in. I do have full mm coilovers already on the car but want to go with a tubular k and arms up front and want a little bit better setup in the rear. not sure what to go with yet. I'm still going to autox my car but not designing it for a particular class anymore. It seems it would cost me tons more money just to get this car anywhere close to competitive for esp anyways so I decided to go open track. I can't afford wide fenders etc and 315's on all 4 corners right now.

mgsullivan

The Red Brick
Established Member
For the last three events I have been tuning my rear suspension with newly added Koni DA's to allow me to apply throttle during any part of a turn on Hankook RS3's. This included three ride height changes, a spring rate change and multiple tuning of the nobs. Happy to say, I finally got it to grip and loose the snap oversteer. The biggest factor was the ride height change. Hope this can provide some help to thise of you still trying. Also, this is with a stock 90 5.0 and a full tank of gas.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I ran my '03 Cobra at autocross events for several years in "Mostly" stock form. I had the typical 4 mods which put me at 445rwhp. I never went with a proper autocross tire but I did find several middle ground tires that worked decent for the street and events.

I typically started my tire pressures around 37 in front and 34 in rear because I wanted a little more push in the car but don't worry, you're never going to remove all the oversteer. I would almost always stay in 2nd gear throughout the run, though some courses may require changes. Hell, sometimes I started in 2nd and didn't even bother with 1st, it all depends on the course layout.

Like you, I very rarely (if ever) went full throttle but with practice you can really make the car dance. It was always a LOT of fun. Keep at it! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread