Can't touch the throttle

KILRSVT

Established Member
So I just came from my a local auto x . Top time of the day was 40.088 courtesy of a supercharged or turbo charged miata... Any way I found it hard to run anything below 49 anytime I tapped the throttle the rear end would come out hard... I kept it sideways all over the place. In this location there is a lot of bumbs potholes and uneven pavement I wonder if that had anything to do with it. I wonder if it's time for rear shocks?? Or maybe it's just my Goodyear eagle F1 tires . Hot tire pressure was 35 front and 30 rear .. Any Input would be appreciated.

mgsullivan

The Red Brick
Established Member
Sometimes when you lower the tire pressure to much on a tire that does not have a stiff side wall, what happened to you can occur. By running a higher pressure, it might not help with the over-steer much but it might make it more predictable. Of course better tires and shocks would help. Can you adjust rear toe with your IRS?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
LOL! Goodyear F1s are not a good autocross tire.

Try some Nitto NT-05 street radials.

Also remove your jack and spare when running.
Full tank of gas is not optimal, run about 1/2 tank and don't worry about the slosh effect, it's the over all weight that is your enemy.

For tire pressure mark your sidewalls with a stripe of white shoe polish and run your pressure as low as possible until you scrub off more than about 1/4-1/2" of the white on your sidewalls

KILRSVT

Established Member
Do you have these NT -05's I've OT as well and on those eagle F1's I managed a 2:06 at Infineon raceway( was hoping high 1:50's) they were good for around 3 laps then started getting really greasy. I think I cooked them lol. I've heard good things about the nt05 but all the feedback has been from street driven cars

ConeCrusher281

Established Member
LOL! Goodyear F1s are not a good autocross tire.

Try some Nitto NT-05 street radials.

Also remove your jack and spare when running.
Full tank of gas is not optimal, run about 1/2 tank and don't worry about the slosh effect, it's the over all weight that is your enemy.

For tire pressure mark your sidewalls with a stripe of white shoe polish and run your pressure as low as possible until you scrub off more than about 1/4-1/2" of the white on your sidewalls

Why remove spare tire and jack? I thought it was good to have more weight over the rear end

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Why remove spare tire and jack? I thought it was good to have more weight over the rear end

If we were talking about a medium to light weight sports car yes.

However any weight removed from a Terminator is a step in the right direction!
I moved my battery to the trunk on mine, no net weight loss but 40lbs off the nose, improved the balance a very slight amount.

probably just put it back where it was before the larger radiator,H/E and supercharger.

YES!!! You will love these Nitto NT05s. I have only used them on the street but I do have experience with tires.
I have also heard that they don't grease as bad as some tires during a track event.

I have not run the Cobra yet since my surgery, and have slicks for that when I do.

KILRSVT

Established Member
Well in that case Godspeed recovery on your surgery. I'll see if I can find any info on these tires out in OT sessions

mgsullivan

The Red Brick
Established Member
Just checking on the toe...toe in is a good thing. You don't happen to be coming down to SoCal for the Super Regional?

racebronco2

Established Member
The goodyears are not a good tire to autox with. The nt05's are better but not as good as the nt01's. The nto5's will heat cycle out before the tread depth is to the wear bars. Also when i was autoxing my cobra i noticed the stock 3.55's were not good for the courses in socal which were between 25-60mph, which was too high for first and not quite high enough for second. I installed 4.10 and most course i was able to run in second gear and i could actually be in my power band.

Hey mike, what's up. Long time no see. Call me, carlos

KILRSVT

Established Member
Well I don't know if 4:10 would be a good idea considering my car is whippled even with my toyo R888 the car would brake loose....but not as bad as my goodyears . Im thinking of doing a rear coil over kit to make the car turn a little more plus I think my rear shocks are done two birds one stone deal. Any suggestions on spring rates??

racebronco2

Established Member
Well I don't know if 4:10 would be a good idea considering my car is whippled even with my toyo R888 the car would brake loose....but not as bad as my goodyears . Im thinking of doing a rear coil over kit to make the car turn a little more plus I think my rear shocks are done two birds one stone deal. Any suggestions on spring rates??

I forgot you had a whipple. What tire is going to hold 500rwtq at the slow speeds anyways unless you get some hoosiers A6's. Coil-over don't make the car turn any better, they help to get the car balanced by getting the correct spring rate so the front and rear have close to equal traction. I started out with 600's but ended up with 700's in the rears.

Most people don't like the R888's. The biggest improvement you will get is with tires. Springs, swaybars, shocks all help a little.

KILRSVT

Established Member
Yeah the r888 are lousy now but when I first got them the grip was amazing. I think I'll do the NT05 or NT01 I have the mm k member and coil over kit # 400 springs MM shocks which are matched with the springs and an eibach 35mm front bar rear suspension is stock except for hr race springs would 700 springs work for me??

mgsullivan

The Red Brick
Established Member
If you are going to use a street tire like the NT05, the guys down here say the Kumho XS is a better tire. Remember when buying shocks and setting up the rear, there is a big difference between open track and autocross. If you PM me a contact number I would be more than happy to discuss it. To much to type!

Carlos, I will give you a call this weekend. You need to show up to the autocross again...it's been to long my friend.

96 cobra

Established Member
Try filling the tank the morning of the event, I found the extra weight over the back really helped traction & made slides more predictable.

ba#97

Established Member
I just ran a full season in the SCCA Sac chapter with Nt05's...loved them. If you want a good as hell street tire for autox though...screw the nto5 and go with hankook ventus rs-3's....by far the best street tire for autox but they will wear pretty quick I'm sure.

ba#97

Established Member
and definitely remove everything out of the car when you autox...even the spare and jack. don't need anything coming loose in that car anyways. and I actually agree with the above...my car felt better with a full tank of gas. I'm running a 95 cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread