can't separate trans from bellhousing?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
change the tob quickly, i said... will just be a couple hour job, i said...

i go to pull the t-56 from the bellhousing, like i have done countless times - but this time it won't separate from the engine/bellhousing more than just a little bit (1/2 inch). tried pulling at different angles and prying on it (not too hard) at the dowel pin locations. even pushed on the clutch fork to try to push it off

any thoughts? what the heck could be holding it up in there?

(yes all 8 bolts are out, and it does separate a little bit)

car was running fine as of this morning, except for squeaking tob

keith89

Established Member
hmm try raising the tail of the transmission while you pull backwards? Is your input shaft upgraded? i could see a twisted stock input shaft causing problems when removing the trans.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
It's 26 spline and yup, tried every different angle while pulling...

really weird because I have done this so many times before but never had this problem

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Yes, there's nothing that's visibly holding it in.
my 3650 has a connector at the very top that is not visible from underneath. not sure if the t56 is wired the same or not, but thought id mention it in case. gl

smashedheadcat

Established Member
Try to hook the clutch cable back up then get in the car and depress the clutch a few times. That should relieve any binding between the clutch disk and input shaft, plus it'll give the trans a tug/push.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Try to hook the clutch cable back up then get in the car and depress the clutch a few times. That should relieve any binding between the clutch disk and input shaft, plus it'll give the trans a tug/push.

good idea i will try that - i will also try to get more "aggressive" trying to pry it apart - but instead of prying against the aluminum bellhousing and transmission front cover (bad idea), i will try to pry it apart from inside the fork/pp area.

you are right, asking around i have heard that yes sometimes the input shaft will bind against the clutch discs like this.

will give it another shot this afternoon or tmw

smashedheadcat

Established Member
good idea i will try that - i will also try to get more "aggressive" trying to pry it apart - but instead of prying against the aluminum bellhousing and transmission front cover (bad idea), i will try to pry it apart from inside the fork/pp area.

you are right, asking around i have heard that yes sometimes the input shaft will bind against the clutch discs like this.

will give it another shot this afternoon or tmw

Best of luck to you. The clutch pedal thing should do the trick.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i was successful, thanks for the feedback guys -

all it needed was a little more "encouragement". i was about to hook up the cable to try using the pedal, but before i did that, i tried prying directly between the tob and center stamped area of the pp housing, and it sort of just pushed right off.

i guess i was hesitant about it because i've done this so many times in the past, and every time it always just slid right out real easily. so, i learned something new! thanks again :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread