Cannot wait!

USV8PWR

Established Member
To see my 13 Shelby for the first time tomorrow!!! :banana: It arrived 21 weeks after I had ordered it on Tues. My dealer just had it unloaded from the truck and put away in their service dept., untouched per my request. Due to my crazy work schedule this week (as well as my Fiance who said no way in hell could I without her) I've not been able to go see it yet. BUT tomorrow we will be making the drive to see the car and I'm gonna watch the service guys do the PDI on it. Although I will finalize all of the paperwork tomorrow, it's staying behind at the dealer for one more day....

Then on Saturday I've got a once in a lifetime surprise set up for my Father, who owned a 67 Shelby GT500. My parents are coming down from KY tomorrow evening for what my 62 year old Dad believes is just a weekend visit to hang out with his son and future daughter in law as he has no idea that I've ordered this car. Saturday morning we are getting up and going to some "Shrine" (my mom's Catholic so we thought this would be a good cover) and along the way "there" I am going to whip into the Ford dealer where the car will be sitting out front. It will be very emotional as it is exactly 30 years since he had to let his Shelby go in 1982 in order to provide for his very young family. I've got a photographer and hopefully even a videographer who will be waiting for us to arrive at the dealer to document the whole thing from the moment we get there.

As soon as we pull in I'm going to look over at him and try to say WITHOUT crying (to much) "I've got our car back Dad". With his, what I expect to be, stunned expression on his face, I'm them going to say "I know the car looks quite a bit different than before...you know how crazy those restorations can get sometimes...LOL, but I think that just like you it has only gotten better with age."

The dealer will then hand him the key and say "Here's your key Sir, your name is on the title as well".

There will be a lot of emotional moments and some (I'm hoping) pretty awesome photos to share. We will be removing the plastic ourselves and going over the car with the salesman and dealer.

Finally, I'm going to tell him and those gathered around a little story about my very few memories of my Father's Shelby. It will go like this...

I was almost 4 when my Dad sold the car and by that time it had deteriorated as he did not have the money to keep it running so it just sat in the driveway and the tires eventually dry rotted. I only recall riding in it twice, and those are some of my fondest childhood memories. I recall one time Dad taking me to preschool and dropping me off in front of all my friends and I was so happy. I remember asking him all the time to take me for a ride in the Shelby, but I didn't understand that he couldn't. The car was not driveable in it's then current state and my father did not have the money to fix it up. Well then one day (I'm guessing right before he sold it) I was at the neighborhood pool swimming and I remember a car honking. I looked up and it was my Dad in the Shelby! I guess he got the engine running and put fix a flat in the tires, but whatever he did it was only enough to drive around the neighborhood a short time. Again I was so happy!

Even at that young age I knew my Father's car was special and those memories have always stayed with me. I believe that is where I got my love for cars. Anyway, with all of that said I'm going to tell my Dad that I've waited 30 years for another ride in the Shelby, and he's going to drive us home!

I'll keep you all posted as to how everything goes the next two days. I probably won't be back on here much until Sunday after my folks have to head back to KY. So wish me luck... :rockon:

Last edited:

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I was reading this while Carrie Underwood completely bombed at the CMAs...

I'm so much happier for you than her.

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Seriously this has to be one the of the most awesome stories I have read. I'm so excited for you, and honestly wish I could be there to watch.

Please share the pics and vids if you don't mind.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
We'll all be there with you in spirit tomorrow. Hope the weather is perfect for you and your family. Congrats and best wishes! :beer:

svt 500

Established Member
This is the kind of thing that you both will carry with you all your life. I was planning on saving my money for my kids college and my dad said he wanted a 500 but wasn't going to get one. I found out later that he has stage 4 cancer. I broke down and couldn't hardly accept it. A while later, I went and ordered a '13 500 in black, just like he wanted. Today is the build date for the car. I will be so happy to get it and take him for the ride!! I'm sorry, not to highjack your post, but just wanted to say I love my dad as you do yours. Best of luck and enjoy your time together!!

WAL

Established Member
I'll keep you all posted as to how everything goes the next two days. I probably won't be back on here much until Sunday after my folks have to head back to KY. So wish me luck... :rockon:

Good luck, and we're looking forward to the update and pics/videos!!!

91svtbird

Established Member
Great story thanks for sharing it with us...can't wait to see the pics and hear about your special day with your Dad and the Shelby.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I remember when you 1st talked about doing this.

I'm so happy it's coming true for you and your father.

Take a picture or get it on video or something!

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I can not wait for this, I know how tight and special the relationship between a father and son can be. In for the epic love fest :pop:

Users who are viewing this thread