Can you have two sets of interchangeable front seats that don’t trigger the airbag lights?

Mapster429

Established Member
I got a seat swap question not addressed elsewhere. I know at least one other member (sweetlou1182) is having the same problem.

I have a ‘13 GT. I picked up a set of Recaros out of a ‘14 GT but when I install them it triggers the dash & dome airbag lights. When I bolt in my stock passenger seat back in the lights go off.

I know the standard fix is to take the Occupant Sensor Control Module (OSCM) out of my stock passenger seat and install it in the Recaro passenger seat - BUT - I want to be able to swap back and forth between the stock seats and the Recaros for track season without tearing the seats down to swap OSCMs or live with the Airbag lights being triggered.

Some older threads said the OSCM’s must match the Restraint Control Module (RCM) year code (’13 is DR33) AND even then, an OSCM out of another same year Mustang may need be “Zero Initialized” by Ford. (https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/2014-5-0-recaros.1110145/ & https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/airbag-light-question.1184413/ )

So I picked up a passenger seat out of a salvage ‘13 Mustang (‘13 code - DR33) and installed it and I still got the airbag lights. So I know I need to get the OSCM Zero Initialized by Ford.

My question is if I get the ‘13 salvage seat OSCM Zero Initialized will the “initialization” process program my RCM to only work with the salvage seat OSCM thereby unmatching my stock seats and causing them to trigger the airbag lights? If yes, can I have a separate RCM to match each set of seats and swap RCMs when I swap seats or does the RCM have to match the main computer?

Has anyone been able to swap between two pairs of seats without the airbag lights being triggered? If so how?

Thanks!

hotcobra03

Established Member
I was reading another thread on this

This thread guy was getting 3 codes

Osc
side air bag
Seat belt

I went into Fords pinpoint tests on codes

Alot of footnotes where also shown on do and don't,,

Pinpoint test and code description shows what type of signal is read and why.

Might help with just reading ,,

How many plugs are under seat,
My first thought is seat is wired different

Do you have the ford manual
With wiring and connector pin out ?

Mapster429

Established Member
I was reading another thread on this

This thread guy was getting 3 codes

Osc
side air bag
Seat belt

I went into Fords pinpoint tests on codes

Alot of footnotes where also shown on do and don't,,

Pinpoint test and code description shows what type of signal is read and why.

Might help with just reading ,,

The removal of an integrated stock initialized OSCM sensor, or the whole passenger seat, does not trigger codes – at least my reader does not pick any up and the check engine light is not illuminated. It seems to only trigger the airbag lights in the dash and dome light console. Also, when I plug the stock seat back in the lights go out instantly so I don’t think it’s triggering any codes.

That said I suppose a pinpoint test may be an alternative test worth contemplating if I cant solve things.

How many plugs are under seat,
My first thought is seat is wired different

The wiring on the seats perfectly matches the car as they are all OEM 13/14 parts going in a 13/14 Mustang.

I think there must be a known answer to this dilemma as there are so many s197 owners who have swapped seats.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Did u disconnect the battery before installing and remove the airbag fuse? I would try that and resetting the factory air bag.

Mapster429

Established Member
Did u disconnect the battery before installing and remove the airbag fuse? I would try that and resetting the factory air bag.

Yes every time I swapped seats I disconnected the battery first for 10 mins. I dont think it's a fuse issue because the problem resolves itself immediately when I put the stock seat back in.

hotcobra03

Established Member
When swapping seat, how many plugs are you pulling?

This has a 6 pin connector shown on sensor and overhead light?

Does this open for you?

Mapster429

Established Member
Does this open for you?

Yes thanks.

When swapping seat, how many plugs are you pulling?

This has a 6 pin connector shown on sensor and overhead light?

There is a yellow airbag connector and a grey connector for the power, heating and OSCM connections.
Connections.png

It's not a connection compatibility issue or a wiring issue - it's a programing issue between the OSCM and the car, presumably the Restraints Control Module.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Yes thanks.

There is a yellow airbag connector and a grey connector for the power, heating and OSCM connections.View attachment 1707017

It's not a connection compatibility issue or a wiring issue - it's a programing issue between the OSCM and the car, presumably the Restraints Control Module.

Thanks for pic,
Looking in manual

Example c3043. In that pic,

Is in harness 14a575-???

In harness section this is different between 5.0 and 5.4. And 3.7.

3 pics of them show other connections

But different between them all also.

There is hours of reading in the manual on srs,

I will look in seat change section and see what ford has

Fords manual is online free if you don't have

hotcobra03

Established Member
This may be way off. But compared to other thread with codes.

I see that this seat sensor on bladder is the thought.

On seats it has this note
Seat Cushion — Passenger

NOTE
Production Occupant Classification System (OCS) system is shown. For OCS system service kit, refer to Occupant Classification Sensor procedure in Supplemental Restraint System.

When I went to this and read it leeds to another footnote.

Occupant Classification System (OCS)

The Occupant Classification System (OCS) is found only on the front passenger seat. The front passenger seat OCS is comprised of a silicone gel-filled bladder mounted between the seat cushion foam and pan. An integrated OCSM with pressure sensor is attached to the bladder by a flexible hose. The integrated OCSM with pressure sensor is mounted to the seat frame. Pressure is applied to the OCS bladder when weight of any occupant or object in the front passenger seat is present. The pressure is then transferred through a tube and is sensed by the OCS pressure sensor. The OCSM communicates front passenger classification information to the RCM via the HS-CAN . The RCM uses this information when determining if the passenger air bag module is to be deployed in the event of a deployable crash. The RCM also uses this information for Passenger Air Bag Deactivation (PAD) indicator illumination strategy.

The OCSM monitors the OCS for faults.

The OCS is also used for operation of the passenger Belt Minder®. For information on the passenger Belt Minder® feature, refer to Safety Belt System. To deactivate or reactivate the passenger Belt Minder® feature, refer to Instrumentation, Message Center, and Warning Chimes or the Owner's Literature.

Belt Tension Sensor (BTS)

The Belt Tension Sensor (BTS):

• is a 3-wire Hall-effect sensor located at the safety belt anchor point and is part of the front passenger safety belt and retractor assembly.

• is used in conjunction with the OCS .
The BTS is used by the OCS to identify the presence of a child safety seat on the front passenger seat. The BTS senses the tension on the safety belt assembly then provides an output to the OCSM , indicating that the safety belt assembly is cinched. After sensing the weight applied to the seat by the occupant and using the BTS input, the OCSM determines how the occupant should be classified and communicates the information to the RCM . If the occupant is classified as a child, the RCM then automatically deactivates the passenger air bag module and illuminates the PAD indicator.

Which lead me to seat belt reminder,

This may need to just be reset which you can do.

hotcobra03

Established Member
How to Reset an Airbag Light | DoItYourself.com

Reading more seen this when reading about scanner that does this ,
Along with many stories

Some say cost was around 110 for dealer to reset seat,

But also read you should have been able to swap seat if same yr as you did, seen footnote saying as long as vehicle seats were pulled wasn't crashed ,

Than seen pdf on installing Ricardo seats by ford ,,mentioned a ocs service kit?
And special depowering steps before swap ,
Assume you been there already

This would drive me nuts like service engine light on

Users who are viewing this thread