Can wheel hop be caused by bad wheel bearing?

silvercoffin

Established Member
IM guess the answer is no and that it's more likely that I caused a wheel bearing to go bad because of the violent wheel hop I had the first couple of launch attempts with my wonderful Spec 3+ clutch....

but id figure id ask...

I never heard a sound, but noticed my wheel would wobble when I was torquing it down.

Ordered steeda diff bushings today since they are cheap and pretty easy to install... not doing anything else until I get back to the track on my MIckey Thompson DRS though.

orange_rush

Established Member
I've been wondering this as well, pretty sure it is the hop that kills the bearing. I've gone through two already at 18k, both the driver's side.

silvercoffin

Established Member

I went through my first after I had a stock half shaft replaced years ago. I think the shop I used torqued it incorrectly because it went bad right after and really bad...the whole wheel would wobble half an inch

This time it was just barely noticable and started after my new clutch and the wheel hop im now getting trying to launch.

silvercoffin

Established Member

First time was passenger side. This time was drivers side. Never heard any noises either time.. only reason I could tell was because I change to my street tires when I am not at the track and noticed the wheel wobble when I tightened the lugs.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I would think that wheelhop is pretty hard on all the suspension/driveline parts including bearings.

SlowSVT

Established Member
The rear wheel bearing hub design sucks in the IRS equipped Mustangs. Both wheel bearings are butted right up to one another without a spacer. That arrangement leaves very little support for the spindle in a cantilever load (wobble). Just a 1" space between the bearings would have made a world of difference. It may have something to do with the suspension geometry where they couldn't push the CV joint pivot point "in" 1" without affecting the wheel travel. I figure that's what it's got to be because the Ford engineers can't be that stupid.......... can't they?

silvercoffin

Established Member

I've come to the conclusion that the IRS really does suck. I was defending Ford until I put in the Spec 3+ clutch now I cant launch the car. SHould have stayed with a clutch that I could slip.

My first two runs of the season I bounced the back of the car around so much that IM sure thats how i messed up a bearing. There was no way of avoiding the hop and I wasnt expecting it which made it even worse....hell i didnt even know that it was hop on my first run. I thought my car was back firing or something it was so violent and sudden. Now I dont critisize people for trying to drive through wheel hop as much. If I didnt have the irs brace im sure my diff would be laying on the starting line...my rear view mirror was sideways after the run.

I'm really tempted to just sell my car because iM getting so frustrated and disgusted with it.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
silvercoffin, you spent the first couple years here bitching about Ford and your Cobra

now you're back again and it's the same thing all over

if it causes you so much grief, you probably should sell it :shrug:

but, be careful what you wish for...there's a lot of people here who are on their 2nd Terminator because they found they couldn't live without it!

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
a loose axle nut will kill the bearing in short order *cough*dss*cough* and when the bearing goes, it takes the hub with it.

you noticed the wheel was flopping around, and you decided the smartest course of action was dragstrip launches. good thinking. :loser:

SlowSVT

Established Member
It's kinda funny how prevalent the "drag race" mentality is in here. Too bad these cars are equipped with steering wheels. I'm sure that feature has a few people scratching their heads wondering what it's purpose is.

I've read a few post where some of the GT500 guys who actually owned a Terminator admitted they miss the IRS and where not thrilled with the stick axle road manners.

Despite the Mustangs IRS shortcomings it's still a way better suspension set-up then a straight axle.

Last edited:

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
SlowSVT said:
Despite the Mustangs IRS shortcomings it's still a way better suspension set-up then a straight axle.
WORD !!!!! :beer: i went from a 03-cobra coupe to a mach 1 back to a 03-cobra vert & i agree i love the irs even though i freaking hate wheel hop :cuss:

silvercoffin

Established Member

"you noticed the wheel was flopping around, and you decided the smartest course of action was dragstrip launches. good thinking. "

What the HELL are you talking about? I didnt notice it was flopping around before I raced it and i dont think it was bad enough to do anything anyway.

And to the other guy...yup still bitching....Thats why i come on here.

actually my main reason for this post was because I was hoping the violent wheel hop i have suddenly after putting in a spec 3+ might have been caused by a bad bearing but I dont think it was bad enough to cause anything. Last time I had one go I ran three 1 second passes on it before switching tires and realizing the wheel would wobble back and forth a half in inch or more!

I have thought about selling my car just because I dont want to keep sinking money into it. All the little things are bad enough...from alternators to wheel bearings. It all adds up. I almost did sell it the end of this winter. Its not the car that kept me from selling it. Its the thought of selling the car and then buying a house and having kids....then not being able to afford the new vette I want and ending up with a garage with no car in it!

Users who are viewing this thread