Can someone explain to me Ticket Scalping?

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift Ticket Scalpers Given Six-Plus Years in Prison | Billboard

So I just don't get this.

Two guys bought tickets and resold them at an inflated price.

This is called "ticket scalping".

However, Ticket Master, Stubub etc, all buy tickets directly, instantly and often exclusively and then attach insane premiums, fees and surcharges.

How is that any God damn different?

Great example, went to a concert last week. Paid $40/ticket from Tickets Master (early release price for GA, went up to $80/ticket). Of that $40, the actual ticket was only $24. $16 of "fees" with no other way to buy the tickets.

So why can Ticketmaster basically flip a ticket for double the price but I can't? I got overhead costs too.

GodStang

Established Member
Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift Ticket Scalpers Given Six-Plus Years in Prison | Billboard

So I just don't get this.

Two guys bought tickets and resold them at an inflated price.

This is called "ticket scalping".

However, Ticket Master, Stubub etc, all buy tickets directly, instantly and often exclusively and then attach insane premiums, fees and surcharges.

How is that any God damn different?

Great example, went to a concert last week. Paid $40/ticket from Tickets Master (early release price for GA, went up to $80/ticket). Of that $40, the actual ticket was only $24. $16 of "fees" with no other way to buy the tickets.

So why can Ticketmaster basically flip a ticket for double the price but I can't? I got overhead costs too.

Different country for one.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I believe Ticketmaster has been sued in court multiple times for scalping claims. Not really sure how it all ended.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
1.) I bet ticketmaster ends up paying some portion of its ridiculous prices to the government.
2.) IMO anyone who would pay to see the two above mentioned "artists" should be guilty of a felony.
3.) Going back to number one, it reminds me of prostitution as the premise(s) based on the illegality is flawed and insincere.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I'm not sure how it works, but I know the ticket system is BS.

Metallica came here last year. Tickets went on sale through Ticketmaster. Within an hour they were "sold out." Then stub hub and those other websites were selling the tickets for triple and quadruple the price.

I said "F" that! I didn't want to see them that bad. I'm not sure what is considered scalping. All I know is something needs to be done. People should not be able to buy tickets at face value from Ticketmaster and then turn around and go to another website and charge outrageous prices for those tickets. People who do that SHOULD be put in jail for years...….

It's BS. Problem is some people are dumb enough to pay for those tickets at outrageous prices. Not this guy!!!

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Problem is you almost have to get your tickets via Ticketmaster, StubHub, vivid seats etc...its bullshit

Difference is though on those sites the gov get thier tax money...unlike your street scalper who doesnt pay taxes

o2gt

Established Member
I dont know British law so I might be missing something but it seems to me its more about the fraud than the ticket prices. I suspect it the ID's and fake addresses they used. with that said seems they were not happy and found a way to shut them down.

coposrv

Established Member
I flipped tickets on eBay in my early years. Made a fortune until I was shut down. To be honest I’m surprised it lasted as long as it did. The only time I had to eat some was Rolling Stones in New York. Bought 6. Sold zero. Made boat loads and the best sellers were always billy Joel u2 jimmy buffet Rolling Stones.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

ToddW702

Established Member
It all a bunch of BS. It goes like this. Some big “Artist” is coming to town and sold out in 2 seconds meanwhile tickets are still available up until the start of the concert in most cases so that’s an over hyped lie. Sold out meaning some third party bought all the tickets to mark them up. But now the public thinks they are getting tickets to a sold out concert so paying a little more is okay. Remember who most of the people going to these concerts are. Now if you want to do that without paying taxes you will go to jail. Stub hub and the like probably “encourage” the police to crack down on scalpers for stepping on toes.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

_Satch_

Established Member
It's alot like Prostitution... you can give it away for FREE, but ya can't charge for it! It is utter BULLSHIT I tell ya... Lol!!!
-Satch

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
One thing i do like about nascar tickets is you can almost always get them right from the track itself

I called the glen back in December and got my tickets over the phone in like 5 mins

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
it's easier to fry the smaller fish. ticketmaster, stubhun all those companies just laugh when they get "sued"

SHOdown220

Established Member
I hate going to concerts in the first place so it didn't used to matter to me anyways but now that I'm married my wife loves going and I think its BS the fees that are tacked on. I get pissed off at hotels that list their rooms for say $120 but by the time you book it there is fee after fee after tax and other bs now the total cost is $225. WTF just list the total price and be done with it so I don't have to go through the whole process for each hotel I'm looking at. I've seen properties like condos list for something like a hundred bucks then a $300 a day cleaning fee.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
it's the same thing as dealers selling cars. they buy from the Manufacturer and sell to the consumer at inflated prices. Concert promoter sells to ticketmaste, ticket master sells to consumer at inflated prices

Users who are viewing this thread