can our oil pan be removed w/o dropping the k-member?

YELOSNK

Established Member
I need to replace a leaking oil pan gasket on a stock pan. Can this be done without having to drop the k-member?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You can get it out with a mix of lowering the K member and raising the engine. I didn't completely remove the K member when I swapped pans. But I did have to lower it a bit.

shurur

Established Member
There is a video on youtube where all the kmember bolts were removed but the front two, which were maxed out.

I just removed the whole kmember myself.

shurur

Established Member
thanks. Brings up another good point: If I'm going to replace the pan gasket I might as well replace the motor mounts while I'm in there, yeah?
Yes.

Several of us have had problems with poly mounts melting...(ebay, prothane) and with rock auto OEM mounts melting as well.

I am reluctant to go solid mount as the reviews are mixed, but I like the idea of not doing the mounts again.

My poly mounts did not have heat shields and the original mount shields were missing, so I am looking at that idea as well.
Maybe I will flatten, bend and drill some tin cans or used some electrical gang box covers!
Time to visit the hotrod forums..I love those folks.

I don't know what more to say..except to say that we are each looking to see how it goes for each other and to report back to the forum.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread