Can I drive a pullied cobra w/out a tune?

MotoXracer21

I Need Low 12s....
Established Member
Simply, I want to buy/install the pulley myself, but then I need to drive about 2.5 hours to get it tuned. I was curious as to whether it would be alright to drive it this distance, or should I just have them install it there? Im Getting a predator, so Maybe I should just back out all timing, THEN take it there? Opinions welcome

Juiced-03

Established Member
Which pulley? I drove my cobra with no tune with a 2.93 for almost 10,000 miles and never had a problem. If you are only driving 2.5 hours, you will be FINE. If you are worried about it just stay out of boost. the whole way. Or you could load the Predator tune and back off a little timing and add more fuel. Its not something to worry too much about really. Just put the 91 octane tune on your car for the time being. That tune is VERY conservative. So conservative that it actually makes the car feel slow lol.

4.6speed

Established Member
I've had a 2.93 pulley with a stock tune and no problems at all, no detonation at full boost or anything. Not saying it is the right thing to do but the car is running great. I took it in for the stall fix re-flash and have left the stock tune in because for the first time since I've owned the car I don't have to worry about the stall.

jguerrero

Established Member
Just stay out of boost on your way there, and you will have no reason to worry.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
A pulley'd car w/out a tune will be fine. Just don't go WOT and stay out of boost until it is tuned properly.

Dominick32

BANNED
Be safe.
If you do it throw on a 3.0 pulley until you have the money for a tune. Then, when you have the funds get that car professionally dyno tuned. I have witnessed the 3.0 pulley and an EFI Solutions dyno tune netting 470/470 to the rear wheels. And thats no BS.

However, I still chose the 2.80 for the TORQUE!!!

Dom
SVT Snake.com

Dominick32

BANNED
Oh shoot. I read that post wrong.. heheh

Slap on whatever pulley size you want if youre only driving 2 1/2 hours to a shop.
Just do like they said and stay out of the boost.

Dom

ghostrydyr

Established Member
Hey Moto whats up man!

If only 2.5 drive it will not hurt it but stay off boost. I can tell you from my experience that if you order a pulley and get a predator from James and tell him all your mods he will get it VERY close, just to make sure when you get your predator back the spark advance about 10 clicks. When you get it to the dyno you can add timing as you go. I wouldn't touch the A/F until I get ot the dyno as I said James will get it very close. It's real easy man. Best of luck to you.:coolman:

MotoXracer21

I Need Low 12s....
Established Member
Thanks guys.....every day I get closer and closer to just saying "f it" and ordering a press-on non-slip steel pulley from sfph. How easy is it to put on/take off with a pulley tool? I need to know this for trips to the dealer....

ghostrydyr

Established Member
Man it is SOOOOO easy to change the pulley. Just let me know man. Don't even buy the pulley. I'll take it with me to the track (on a Wednesday) and it'll be done in ten minutes.

orange2004cobra

Established Member
Bryn,
Have you ever checked your a/f?
just curious what it looks like.
Prob close to perfect up top, but a little high down low..?
Lin

Users who are viewing this thread