Can I adjust Rack and Pinion for Steering Play?

mustang462002

Slow GT
Established Member
I just changed my rack and pinion for a rebuilt unit. Before I changed it the steering wheel had little play. I just aligned my car and with the new rack it has a lot of play. Around 1 inch or so. I had been reading that you can adjust the rack and pinion. Has anyone done this? How is it done.

Thanks

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I looked through my Haynes and it didn't mention anything about tightening up a rack & pinion. That's not to say it can't be done since Haynes does tend to leave out some critical info. I've never heard of adjusting it though -- wouldn't you have to either adjust the depth of engagement that the pinion has on the rack or fatten the teeth of the pinion? Is your rag joint in good condition? Tie rod ends good and tight?

mustang462002

Slow GT
Established Member
I also have the Haynes manual and it says nothing on the subject.

I've just bought the whole unit it includes the inner tie rods. So its a new rebuilt unit. I've inspected the outer and they seem fine.

I've searched all throughout the forum and I've found that someone tightened their rack and pinion on an older model mustang. They said you removed the big hex nut and tightened the threaded portion. I just wanted to see if this was even possible in case I tried it and broke it.

It's a rebuilt unit and it was a major pain in the ass to get it in. I'm hoping it can be adjusted.

Thanks

mustang462002

Slow GT
Established Member
I have and it seems that I get around 1/3 inch movement compared to the other 1.3 inch movement from the rack and pinion. Even before I changed it, it was much tighter. If this is so rare I'm going to have to change it out.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Here's recent thread talking about steering play that you should check out:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...play-steering-steering-shaft-suggestions.html

The sliding steering collar TAZ is referring to (Intermediate Shaft Collar in post #11, with a picture in post #18) can also loosen up. I've adjusted mine twice since 2002 after noticing a vague feeling in steer wheel (felt like my old C'70 yclone GT steering) and it tightening the collar made a noticeable difference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread