Can Bad Alternator Cause Hesitation/Sputting Under Hard Acceleration??

03VNM

Established Member
Hey guys,

So I am still trying to pinpoint why my 2003 Cobra is sputtering/cutting out under hard acceleration. The car has a 2.9 upper and 6 lbs lower, 60 lbs injectors, Kenne Bell BAP, CAI, Midlength headers and catted X pipe. I was out driving it yesterday and the radio just turned off which lead me to believe I may have alternator issues, which may solve the mystery. Would a failing alternator not be able to run the BAP, therefore, not supply the 60 lbs injectors with needed fuel demands under hard acceleration?

rickrubin2

Established Member
Well if radio cuts off that is a sign that alternator is going bad as well as the flickering battery light. Which I think The radio cutting off is a sign of low voltage so if so then your fuel pumps are probably suffering some what. Try replacing plugs too that will make it spit under load.

On a side note I had a similar issue with radio cutting off and would eventually die when battery goes dead.

Last edited:

03VNM

Established Member
Well if radio cuts off that is a sign that alternator is going bad as well as the flickering battery light. Which I think The radio cutting off is a sign of low voltage so if so then your fuel pumps are probably suffering some what. Try replacing plugs too that will make it spit under load.

On a side note I had a similar issue with radio cutting off and would eventually die when battery goes dead.

Thanks for the info! I did notice the red battery light come on when I turned on the cooling fans. What alternator are you guys running with cars drawing a lot of power due to BAPs, Fans, Gauges ect? I'm thinking I need either a 160 or 200 amp alternator to support my modifications.

03VNM

Established Member
I run a 200 amp

Yea, that's what I was thinking... Apparently there is a 200 amp in there, but I have concerns if there really is. I'll take a picture tonight and post it up, maybe someone here can verify what I have. It may be externally regulated since I see little red box next to the fuse box that says "200 amp" with an enclosed wire going to alternator.

Thanks for your input, really appreciated!

03VNM

Established Member
Has anyone ever had a voltage regulator go bad? Anyway to check to make sure it is functioning?

speeddemon2000

Established Member
Yes if you are dropping voltage that will cause less fuel flow and a potential lean condition. Not good.

Radio going off is a sign.

What is your voltage under full throttle? You want to see between 13 and 14 volts. Anything below is a potential issue.

You can view it using your guage cluster:

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/dtcodes.htm

If you are not dropping voltage I bet you have an issue with one of your coil packs.

Ran into that one before. Only hit at full throttle. Replace all the coil packs and bingo problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread