Can a valve stem cap hold air?

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
So I haven't driven my cobra in some time now (it's been sitting for winter) but I decided to start her up today and take her to get a wash and just get some miles on it.

The battery was dead - no big deal, jumped it and got it started.

But the driver's side rear tire was flat. I put air in it, but as soon as I took off the pump, it was shooting air right back out. Turns out that little round cylinder in there that you normally depress to release air was like stuck down. I tried fiddling with it for a while and it just wouldn't pop back out.

Now, if I put the valve stem cap on, it will not leak at all, and a quick spin around the parking lot shows that it seems to hold air just fine this way. I have a nice metal cap with a gasket inside that I put on it, and it seems OK, but I was wondering... would this last to drive the car to get this fixed? Where I would like to take it is about a 35 minute ~25 mile drive. I'm worried that the bumps may cause an issue, but at the same time I'm not sure, because it is a metal cap, with metal threads, plus the gasket in there. I don't think it would blow off. I do have a portable DC pump as well that I've been using to pump it up, so if it were to leak some, I could fill her up.

What do you guys think? A big no-no to drive on it like this? If so, there are a few places within a mile or two that I could go to, I would just prefer not to.

THE_STIG

Established Member
I would drive very slowly and be very careful over bumps, take it and get it fixed. but the best idea would to take the wheel off and get it fixed.

32vofFury

WHINE & DINE!
Established Member
just go to a local auto parst store and buy a valvestem and a tool. It's prolly pretty cheap. the tool is like the negative of a flatheaded screwdriver. stick the tool in the valvestem and turn it out (leftyloosey). all the air will rush out but put the other new part in and check tire pressure. the car will not hold air that's why the tire was flat in the first place.

xneric

RickyRacer
Established Member
Not a good idea to drive it that way. Go to a tire shop and see if they have a stem cap that has a valve removal tool on the end. They're pretty common. They probably have lots of extra valves and should give both of them to you. Unscrew the old one and screw the new one in. It's pretty easy.

Evan5469

Established Member
Just take the spare out and have the car sit on that while you take the other tire to get fixed. I wouldn't risk getting stranded on the side of the road in the cold when you don't have to.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Thanks for the tips guys. I don't know why the heck I didn't think of just replacing the valve myself! Doh!

If that doesn't work out, I also don't know why I didn't think to just pull the wheel and bring it in, lol.

For some silly reason my only course of thought was driving the car there.

Thanks again for all the tips.

"It'll Run"

Established Member
If you lived any closer bud, I would take care if it for you....its the schrader valve that needs to be replaced...tire shops usually do have them lying around. Just unscrew it and replace the old one with a new one and you should be good to go. Local autoparts stores should carry them also...GL

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Yeah I have no problem doing it myself, I just never even thought of it! I was so pissed that I finally got the car started and wanted to drive it and found this out.

I bought a valve removal tool and spare valves kit at advanced for like $2.50.

I'll probably do it tomorrow night. It's not a big deal from what I've see at the tire shops, just unscrew the old and screw the new one in :thumbsup:

Thanks again!

Last edited:

"It'll Run"

Established Member
Yeah I have no problem doing it myself, I just never even thought of it! I was so pissed that I finally got the car started and wanted to drive it and found this out.

I bought a valve removal tool and spare valves kit at advanced for like $2.50.

I'll probably do it tomorrow night. It's not a big deal from what I've see at the tire shops, just unscrew the old and screw the new one in :thumbsup:

Thanks again!

Cool......:beer:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Ha Ha, got tons of both of those in my garage.
When you're racing motorcycles, you're changing your own tires all the time.
Congrats on a cheap repair. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread