Can A CarFax be corrected?

CLASSIC MUSCLE

Car Collector
Established Member
Found a 91 LX 5.0 with 18K original miles that's the exact color and options I've been looking for. 1-owner car in Florida, no accidents, no mods, super clean car that has even been MCA judged at the car shows. That said, the CarFax shows the mileage at like 93,000 because, according to the seller, in 1997 they incorrectly entered the mileage as "90,000" when it was actually "9,000." He never caught the error until putting the car on the market today, but he swears the mileage is original. He claims he checked with the Florida DMV and there's nothing that can be done. Is this true? Is this super low mileage vehicle just ruined now? I'm hesitant to purchase it without the Carfax being corrected. Anyone ever got one corrected? How is it done?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes it can be corrected. Has to be done through Motor Vehicle office in your state.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Do the odometers read above 100k on the fox body, or is it capped at 99999.9? maybe it really has 118k miles.

CLASSIC MUSCLE

Car Collector
Established Member
Do the odometers read above 100k on the fox body, or is it capped at 99999.9? maybe it really has 118k miles.

Fox bodies have 5 digit odometers, hence the confusion and problems on vehicles like this. Yes, the odo currently shows "18,000" and that could be 118K miles. Without the CarFax, you can't prove one way or the other on the Foxbody cars. His Florida title also says "Exempt" for mileage and not "Actual."

DarkMach1

Established Member
Pay for the car according to the miles it shows instead of the miles some random guy promises it has.

CLASSIC MUSCLE

Car Collector
Established Member
Yes it can be corrected. Has to be done through Motor Vehicle office in your state.

Can you elaborate on the steps that would be involved with this? I just wonder how the State of Florida could be persuaded to change an error that occurred 20 years ago.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Can you elaborate on the steps that would be involved with this? I just wonder how the State of Florida could be persuaded to change an error that occurred 20 years ago.

They would need notarized proof. Which would be all but impossible to provide.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Does Florida have a state vehicle inspection program? If so, do those inspections document the vehicle's mileage at the time of inspection?

I had this issue on my wife's grandmother's vehicle after she passed. Somewhere along the line, VA DMV documented the mileage incorrectly when the registration was renewed, and I was able to prove the correct mileage through a series of inspection receipts that had been kept.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Does Florida have a state vehicle inspection program? If so, do those inspections document the vehicle's mileage at the time of inspection?

I had this issue on my wife's grandmother's vehicle after she passed. Somewhere along the line, VA DMV documented the mileage incorrectly when the registration was renewed, and I was able to prove the correct mileage through a series of inspection receipts that had been kept.

This would suffice as proof!

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
1997.. Was that when the smog testing was still around? Vaguely remember those.
Did he say who entered it incorrectly? Ford dealer, smog tester, independent shop?

CLASSIC MUSCLE

Car Collector
Established Member
1997.. Was that when the smog testing was still around? Vaguely remember those.
Did he say who entered it incorrectly? Ford dealer, smog tester, independent shop?
The CarFax says:
Date: 11/20/96
90,000 mi
Florida Motor Vehicle Dept
Melbourne, FL
Comments: Odometer Reading Reported

Very strange they reported it exactly as 90,000 miles though. What are the chances the car had EXACTLY 90,000 miles when they reported this to CarFax?

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
It happens often. Yes, it can be fixed. You have to do a data research request. It is pretty easy to do if it is a random repair shop. If the DMV did the error they will need documents to get it fixed. I have a large inventory and go thru this a couple times a week.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Can you post the CARFAX here for our review? Have there been any records since the alleged mistake that show the lower odometer reading? Here's the link for the data research request: https://support.carfax.com/c_datarequest

Another thought and you guys with more experience might know this; can the actual mileage of the vehicle be confirmed by reading the EEC? That is, does the EEC hard code mileage as a secondary method of recording in the event that the mechanical odometer has been tampered with?

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
The CarFax says:
Date: 11/20/96
90,000 mi
Florida Motor Vehicle Dept
Melbourne, FL
Comments: Odometer Reading Reported

Very strange they reported it exactly as 90,000 miles though. What are the chances the car had EXACTLY 90,000 miles when they reported this to CarFax?
Happens more than you think. Some people are lazy and don't get the exact mileage off the car when its being serviced/inspected.

Users who are viewing this thread