Can 4.6L Tbird be Supercharged?

bigdspeed813

Banned
I have a 1996 Thunderbird LX with the 4.6L V8 in it...i also have the supercharger off of a 2004 ford svt cobra 4.6L V8 and the lower intake manifold....can i make this work has anybody tried it?...i kno there is alot of work if it was possible...

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
Don't do it. There is way too much involved in making it work. Get a Kenne Belle for a 2V NPI 4.6 Mustang or a centrifugal for the same and they should bolt up.

z90sc

Established Member
......you have a 2v motor.....the Cobra is a 4v motor,lower intake won't match......easier to go with a centrifigal for a 2v.......
z

smokymance

The Slower Modular Breed
Established Member
sep17_2007.jpg

my 97 with a vortech...

bad old pic tho!

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Allen makes a specific supercharger for that application.

95BOSS

Established Member
sep17_2007.jpg

my 97 with a vortech...

bad old pic tho!

Nice car man! Is that Vortech actually for a t-bird or is it a mustang application? Also, I see you had to cut away your fan shroud, was there any other modifications you had to do for that SC to work?

That thing would go nice on my 96' I have a full bolt 4.6 with forged pistons and PI heads.

smokymance

The Slower Modular Breed
Established Member
mustang application...u need a front new timing chain cover from the 94-95 tbirds to make the mustang bracket work...as they have a hole that u need...or u can just modify ur own..dont remember exactly...tccoa.com could tell u...pi heads with a npi shortblock is a bad combo with a blower as it raices the compresion ratio...but then again, that is true for the stock internals...not sure how that would be wit ur forged goodies...

of coarse ud need the maf, injectors, fuel pump and the supporting goodies to get it to work safely....

95BOSS

Established Member
mustang application...u need a front new timing chain cover from the 94-95 tbirds to make the mustang bracket work...as they have a hole that u need...or u can just modify ur own..dont remember exactly...tccoa.com could tell u...pi heads with a npi shortblock is a bad combo with a blower as it raices the compresion ratio...but then again, that is true for the stock internals...not sure how that would be wit ur forged goodies...

of coarse ud need the maf, injectors, fuel pump and the supporting goodies to get it to work safely....

As a matter of fact, i am using a cover from an older 94' t-bird i used to have along with a new Windsor block. I only have 11cc dish pistons with the PI heads so yes, my compression is up there close to 11:1. I originally built the engine with only N/A purposes in mind but now I'm getting the SC bug. I have seen a lot of guys run Centrifugal SC's on higher compression engines as long as they don't go wild with boost and have a good tune.

I'm also running the Cobra 80mm MAS with 24lb injectors but i know that would have to be upgraded with an SC

smokymance

The Slower Modular Breed
Established Member
im at 42lbs and a 90mm sct 2400 maf...runs pretty good and got plenty of fuel with the HO fuel pump from sc performance...not sure at what duty the 42s are running but im pretty sure its up there...as long as u know what ur getting urself into with the sc and high compression, everything should be good to go

95BOSS

Established Member
im at 42lbs and a 90mm sct 2400 maf...runs pretty good and got plenty of fuel with the HO fuel pump from sc performance...not sure at what duty the 42s are running but im pretty sure its up there...as long as u know what ur getting urself into with the sc and high compression, everything should be good to go

Well if I go that route I still have a ways to go. I need to upgrade my drive trane b4 anything. I'm still running stock 96 tranny and torque converter and it feels like its slippin a bit as is running all motor. And even with it doing that, my motor still dynoed at 235hp so I feel good about the engine. I know that number would go up with some new clutches in the tranny and a good converter.

DirtyBird813

hey smoky i originally started this thread a while ago under a different name..ne wayz im about to get my tbird back from the paint shop...mind me asking where u got ur wheels from?

Users who are viewing this thread