Cams?

SVTyballz

Established Member
if you want cams, use these here: http://www.modmaxracing.com/cams.htm other places sell em too btw.

The SHM cams are regrinds. :xpl:

And if you are going to do cams, then you might as well P&P the heads. Cuz you are going to need new springs and everything is going to have to be taken apart. If you are comparing the cost of new cams to a t-body. The cams are definitely a pricey mod. Im not sure on the cams' HP improvement but compared to the work involved I would go with a nice BilletFlow T-body. I'm not even thinking about cams until it's engine rebuild time............then there are plenty of things I will change. Cams, head work, oil pump gears, oil pan, windage tray, on and on and on...............as the mod money pile gets smaller and smaller.................:coolman: :coolman:

gary

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Cams are going to be a total b*tch in this car I am 99% certain the engine will need to be pulled to do them. Also any notion of warranty will be completely lost. I would wait on specific cams for our cars to prove they are worth it first.

Last edited:

trey193

Established Member
God to hear an 03 with different cams loping through some longtubes, X and Flowmasters!!

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I ran some numbers with Dyno2000, testing different cams, both with and without proted heads. From what I can tell, the benefit will be minimal unless you jack the rev limiter to 8000 RPM. The cams we have are perfect for low and midrange. Remember, most times when you modify your cam profiles, you are simply making a tradeoff between low-mid-high RPM torque. There were cams that made more PEAK HP than the ones we had (especially if you P&P the heads and jack the limiter), but the low-mid TQ was drastically reduced. IN most cases, it appeared you had more of a chance of making your curve WORSE rather than making it better. Personally, if I ever do H/C in this car, it will be the last thing I do to it. There are easier ways to improve the sound and HP, IMHO.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Right on, Guru...

Changing the cams will change the whole equation. The stock cams are best suited to a blower setup like the Roots which makes good low and midrange.

Change cams and you're looking at a centrifugal, at least, to make it perform close to stock. Maybe even a turbo.

There are much cheaper ways to add power other than cams IMO...it's been demonstrated repeatedly that about $5000 max in bolt-ons will get you in the 500 RWHP range. WHEW! Thats PLENTY!

Until I get there of course. ;-) :dw: :-D

Last edited:

Blades

Established Member
hahah well im just about there.. I guess I have to accept the fact that if it aint broke then don't fix it.. I remember seeing a Saleen vs single turbo supra video where he had internal work and that thing sounded amazing and was a friggin monster..

I dont know too much about Cams and all that. Thanks for the info. Gotta explore my options. :D

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Blades...I have seen that video. I believe you're right...he had cams in that car. But it also had a centrifugal.

That car was an ANIMAL. Still is I'm sure.

I love repeatedly playing where he gets on it in the tunnel...and also where he pulls up alongside the Supra where he explains why he cut it at a "buck twenty". :beer:

nduction03

Established Member
Crack open a small block 350 on my old pick up? No problem.

Crack open the 4.6 in the Cobra? Ahh, No grasshopper.

Blades

Established Member
Yeah i get so jealous of my friend. 83 firebird with a crate engine.. so much more space, a lot more logical.. Like building legos..

:D heheh. We definately need to do something besides increase the boost on our cars.. Anyone have any ideas?

We have T/B, headers, CAI, catback, mid pipe, custom tune for rice gas.. but im eager to crack her open and start building up things besides the boost.. :D I'll be a guinea pig. anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
What about for us 99-01 guys? We can afford to give up some top end for some more low-end torque...

Cams couldnt be *that* tough, could they? All you have to do is take off the cam covers, and take all that stuff in there apart? :)

-Homer

Blades

Established Member
I cant speak from experience but If they weren't tough then you'd probably see them on a lot of mod lists for 99/01s..

Users who are viewing this thread