Cams pros and cons

blown86

FLPNOUT
Established Member
I'm possibly looking to do a cam swap I saw a video on here a comp orange vert and I love the sound but I don't know anyone who has swapped their cams so my question is are they still very streetable, any problems with them, are they worth the money. I don't want something that's not going to be fun to drive I've already had a car like that.

GodStang

Established Member
Pros:
-Neato sounds.
-If done CORRECTLY can see some gains and a more efficient setup.

Cons
-Expensive as hell if not done on your own to a tune of around $3000 when all said and done.
-Drivibilty could suffer
-no power gains if done incorrectly
-as with my buddy the shop should not of been working on a 4V and destroyed his brand new motor.

Adam27607

Established Member
If done right, cams are well worth the money. I haven't had any problems with cams. The drivability of my car is as good as a stock cobra. I had my cams changed out when my engine was being rebuilt. I didn't have to pay for the labor, just the cams and springs. If you're not going to do it yourself, make sure whoever does it knows what they're doing and get the right tune for it.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/603602-cams-priceless.html#post8306224

blown86

FLPNOUT
Established Member
If done right, cams are well worth the money. I haven't had any problems with cams. The drivability of my car is as good as a stock cobra. I had my cams changed out when my engine was being rebuilt. I didn't have to pay for the labor, just the cams and springs. If you're not going to do it yourself, make sure whoever does it knows what they're doing and get the right tune for it.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/603602-cams-priceless.html#post8306224

car sounds awesome, that's the sound I'm looking for. I don't need a rebuild I just want the cams.

blown86

FLPNOUT
Established Member
I have 40,000 on the engine any concerns with installing cams should I go for a rebuild if so then I won't do cams at the present time.

601Mystic04

Svt addiction
Established Member
I would love to do cams on my car cause I love the way my notchback sounds with its cam. Its just the price that keeps me from doing it. I gotta give it to the few who has done it its gotta a killer sound to it.

johnnybusa

Established Member

That car sounds sick...what size and what brand are they.:rockon:

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
Yeah, I've thought about this also. But like most, the cost is the downside. Your pushing 2k just for the cams and springs/retainers alone. Not to mention labor if you don't do it yourself. :(

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
It should not cost $2k in just parts. Get a custom set spec'd for you.. should be around $1k. Livernois sells springs good enough for aftermarket cams, and utilize the stock retainers/keepers. They are $350 I believe.

Adam27607

Established Member
How are those cams on the street, my car will see some track time but mainly a street car just looking for more attitude

The cams are very good on the street. My car drives like a stock cobra, but it sounds nothing like a stock cobra

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
i hear ford gt cams are worthless for our cars!

lots of people on here get custom cams, where do you get custom cams and what makes them so custom? also different cams make different power, will different cams lose torque?

if you dont do the labor your self how much does it cost?

this car sounds sick
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IiDLSfpiTY"]YouTube - 2004 Cobra - Comp Cams, Full Exhaust[/ame]

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
I think price verys a lot depending on shop:
Install $1000-$2500
Cams ~$1200
Springs and Retainers $500
Tune $300 and up...

So you can do the math to get an idea on cost. Now if your engine is out the install price is not there and if you do it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread