cammed cobra? how much approximately?

rick 03 cobra

Established Member
looking to do some cams on the 03. so far im hearing bad things, 30 to 40 hp?? is that all everones getting from stage 3 cams? and does anyone no how much they will cost to install?

GodStang

Established Member
On a built Twin screw 20+ psi than ya you can see 30+rwhp with a Crower/Comp Stage III. If a shop is doing it 100% then you are looking at ~$1500-$2500 for install depending on shop. This is NOT including parts. If you do it yourself you can save a good bit of that money.

The HP is not garanteed. Saw a 2.4L with 25 psi P&P heads make 23rwhp with stage III cams.

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
that's alot of $$$ just for labor alone... and from reading around, the power gain is not worth the $$$ unless you do all the work yourself (with a buddy).

rick 03 cobra

Established Member
thnx guys, im gonna do a bit more research, check a couple shops in the area. if anyone has done a cam mod let me what ur #s were. im only making 470hp

YoungJim

Established Member
You'd get far more spending that on suspension mods than the cams. 2000+ for 30HP? Not much of a bargain. For that kind of money you could get an Aluminator block and save 80 pounds.

Jim

oldmodman

Established Member
Those HP numbers are correct. A lot of the Turbo guys got even less.

But every install was all about the sound. Go to youtube and look for "cammed Cobra's". It seems that it's all about the sound. Not worth it in my opinion.

z28misfit

Established Member
I plan on doing cams this coming fall/winter along with having my heads ported.I think Im gonna have a custom ground set made up though cause I have other plans as well. I can do the work my self so Im not worried about the labor costs. It will sound dumb to alot of people on here but these are muscle cars and damnit I want it to sound like one!!!! I hope I can ateast make a good 40+ hp over stock. I know the hp/dollar ratio sucks but whatever. To the OP,,if its what you want than go for it. Lots of people will tell you not to and for good reason. It is deff alot of money to spend for so little gain.Stupid 4 cams:rollseyes

GodStang

Established Member
I plan on doing cams this coming fall/winter along with having my heads ported.I think Im gonna have a custom ground set made up though cause I have other plans as well. I can do the work my self so Im not worried about the labor costs. It will sound dumb to alot of people on here but these are muscle cars and damnit I want it to sound like one!!!! I hope I can ateast make a good 40+ hp over stock. I know the hp/dollar ratio sucks but whatever. To the OP,,if its what you want than go for it. Lots of people will tell you not to and for good reason. It is deff alot of money to spend for so little gain.Stupid 4 cams:rollseyes

That is a great reason. Cams and heads and think you can hit 40rwhp with the right setup.

jcveron

Established Member
custom bullitt cams from modular head shop...1200 dollars and are supposed to be the best cams money can buy

z28misfit

Established Member
That is a great reason. Cams and heads and think you can hit 40rwhp with the right setup.

Im guessing this is a sarcastic reply?? lol Like I said I can omit labor costs. I can do the work myself so while still expensive for the parts it makes it just a smidgen more worth while to install cams.

DevilSun

Established Member
custom bullitt cams from modular head shop...1200 dollars and are supposed to be the best cams money can buy
I have some of these from John in my new engine, but nothing to compare it to unfortunately. Only did them because I was having an engine built and heads being cleaned up and worked by MHS anyways...I honestly would not have had it done just to have it done because it's quite expensive of a mod even though it sounds really nice. I am looking forward to them though both sound and performance wise.

GodStang

Established Member
Im guessing this is a sarcastic reply?? lol Like I said I can omit labor costs. I can do the work myself so while still expensive for the parts it makes it just a smidgen more worth while to install cams.

No not sarcastic at all. Hey I am running cams. I did it because the engine was out. Taking labor costs out does help a lot on the costs side.

z28misfit

Established Member
No not sarcastic at all. Hey I am running cams. I did it because the engine was out. Taking labor costs out does help a lot on the costs side.

oh ok,,lol I wasnt sure how to take your reply. I know its not a very practical way of spending money but it is what it is. I could potentially make some extra hp with doing heads and cams or spend over 3,000 for a set ccw's and tires that just look cool.Either way,,eventually I will have both :rolling:

dlaude

Established Member
oh ok,,lol I wasnt sure how to take your reply. I know its not a very practical way of spending money but it is what it is. I could potentially make some extra hp with doing heads and cams or spend over 3,000 for a set ccw's and tires that just look cool.Either way,,eventually I will have both :rolling:

haha, good point on the wheels. Many people spend a TON on something that doesn't even add any hp! They do look absolutely amazing, don't get me wrong, maybe they just need a custom wheel :shrug: (EDIT: I do hope to own some CCWs some day...but likely after I add cams! haha)

Anywho, I started a very similar thread only a few hours before you did the other day, and it's here. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/769197-lets-hear-your-cams.html Got similar replies, but has some videos as well.

Last edited:

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
OP, if your looking for more power or bang for the buck... look no further than either going twin screw or sending your supercharger to Posi for a port. Cams will get you that agressive sound but not produce much unless its a specific grind to a higher HP application. Goodluck.

04torchred

Established Member
On a built Twin screw 20+ psi than ya you can see 30+rwhp with a Crower/Comp Stage III. If a shop is doing it 100% then you are looking at ~$1500-$2500 for install depending on shop. This is NOT including parts. If you do it yourself you can save a good bit of that money.

The HP is not garanteed. Saw a 2.4L with 25 psi P&P heads make 23rwhp with stage III cams.

Stage III cams are not just the answer and most people need to understand this as stage III cams on a stock unflycut piston isn't going to be optimal at all and 03Steve has shown this when degreeing a set in. Due to the duration you can't put them at an optimal centerline due to PTV clearance. I was blown away with his results when he shared them.

Also cams are more about how they fill the chamber with aircharge vs stock cams and that will determine how they perform. I think the Comp Stage 2 cam is a good choice. For guys looking for a cheap cam ($200 can buy a set of 4) with 20 degrees additional duration on the intake the 96-98 and 99-01(around 15-16 degrees less) Cobra cams are great. The 96-98 are awesome in the sense you can also use a 12mm ARP cam bolt which has additional strength for holding due to the increased tq you can place on it.

You are right though for a guy not doing the work himself its a pricey undertaking and its probably best not to do unless you have a twinscrew or big centri and need more power. That or until you have to pull the motor for work.

I went with 97 Cobra cams on my rebuild since I had to get new heads as mine had a valve seat fall out. I wasn't changing pistons so I opted for a very economic cam upgrade to work better then stock. When I do a shortblock later on I will consider changing cams, but if I gain nice with what I have I will keep what I have.

You guys should degree in your stage 3's this time. My stock cams as they came from Ford were off 8 degrees on the intakes from bank to bank and 2 degrees on the exhaust.

z28misfit

Established Member
Stage III cams are not just the answer and most people need to understand this as stage III cams on a stock unflycut piston isn't going to be optimal at all and 03Steve has shown this when degreeing a set in. Due to the duration you can't put them at an optimal centerline due to PTV clearance. I was blown away with his results when he shared them.

Do any companys that deal with these modular motors rent out a tool to flycut the pistons?? When I had my 99 z28 I had cnc ported heads milled a pretty good amount to increase compression and with the cam I was running I needed to flycut the stock pistons. Anyways a company by the name of LG motorsports had a bare head that they knocked the valve seats out of and sent along the valve relief cutter. They had a couple sets of these heads that they could rent out to customers so they could flycut their pistons. Other wise (since Im not a machines shop) how would you flycut your pistons with the correct angle?

Users who are viewing this thread