Camaro SS vs S197 with Bolt ons "roomates at war"

Rios302

Established Member
Camaro SS vs S197 W/ Bolt ons

This is a bit of a long story but I ll try to keep it short for everyone. As always done at a close private track.

Recently one of my roommates purchased a 2010 Camaro SS. 15k miles, brembo brakes, premium interior with 426 ponies out its 6.2 ls2. I was the first one to drove the car out of the lot and even taught my roommate how to drive (Manual) for the first few days. After a few weeks he is getting a bit too confident and wants to race me. I knew his driving skills were far from being ready to start messing with his car so I told him to get more familiar with his car and read some reviews and I would race him then . A few weeks after my roommate comes back saying that he saw a video of his car being compared to my GT and that my car was a bit faster. I told him our cars were evenly match and it was a driver's race however my car was not stock anymore.

Our Apartment must of have been filling with a mix of race fuel and burned rubber because after having such conversation with my roommate who owns the Camaro; it was now my other roommate with his 2005 Mustang GT who wanted to test the waters. For a while he had been wanting to test all the mods he has done to his car. (under-drive pulleys, x pipe, shorty headers, muffler delete, ford racing manifold, intake, throttle body and a Bama Race Tune. Anyways he claimed his car was now making like 420 horses at the crank. He even went as far as telling my other roommate who owns the Camaro SS that his S197 was now faster than his Camaro SS and My Mustang GT without the Bama Tune.

About two days ago the day came were my roommate wanted to go race his s197 against my Mustang. So we took off. The first run his car spin too much and I walked him pretty easily. The second run I gave him a bit of a head start but quickly went past him. I kept going 2nd and 3rd gear just to see how far he was falling behind. It must have been about 4 or 5 car lengths at least, clearly his car was no match for mine. Still he insisted to go one more time from a roll. This time I waited for his car to start moving before I hit the throttle. I was in 2nd gear at around 4500 rpms, once his car was about a car length ahead before I smashed the throttle. I quickly went past him. By third gear I was once again a couple of more cars ahead, I am not sure how many but the distance was pretty noticeable.

The next day my friend is feeling pretty disappointed about his Mustang and all the money he has invested in his car. So in order to make him feel good I told him that his car was pretty fast and if my car had been stock the race would of probably been a lot closer. That's when my other roomate who owns the Camaro showed up and one thing led to the other. At the end we went out to test the Camaro SS vs the S197. I also somehow end up being behind the wheel of the SS. Quite honestly I was hoping for the Mustang to take the win even though I was the one driving the Camaro. first race, both cars take off with a bit of wheel spin, I immediately let off the throttle to regain traction and then shifted to second at which point the Camaro started to pulled away. The SS was pulling hard, and by third gear the S197 was far behind so I slow down. Second race was even worst, the SS hooked great and by the end of 1st gear it was already a car ahead and even more so as I went into 2nd and 3rd at which point I slowed down. My other friend insisted to go one more time claiming his car was not hooking up. He was so anxious to win that instead of coming to a full stop, he just floored it. I was caught off guard and bogged the SS a bit. by first gear the s197 was probably a car and a half ahead. As I switched to 2nd gear the SS was catching up fast. It was all over by 3rd gear when the Camaro was again again about a car length. He had no escuses this time, the SS was clearly the faster car.

Needless to say my friend in his 2005 Mustang GT was clearly disappointed while my other roommate went out to brag all over facebook saying this "Camaro beats Mustang GT hahaha" At the end of the night all that bragging got him what he deserved. Somehow later that day, my two roommates went to race one more time. This time they were both driving their cars respectively while I was at work. I then get a text saying "Slower Mustang beats SS Camaro with shitty driver". The end!

Apologies for the poor grammar and writing in advance.

Last edited:

Rios302

Established Member
That was the short version? lol. Nice story. You buddy needs to learn how to drive his car before he runs his mouth.
I was starting to worry that nobody was even going to bother reading it lol. Yeah I told him that he needed more time but he didn't listen to me. At the end he got what he deserved.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
What mods done to the 3V?

Stock SS beats bolt-on 3V is not surprising, but, are we talking intake/tune or full bolt-ons, tires/gears?

Rios302

Established Member
What mods done to the 3V?

Stock SS beats bolt-on 3V is not surprising, but, are we talking intake/tune or full bolt-ons, tires/gears?
I text my friend and this are the exact mods he has in his car.
Steeda throttle body spacer
Steeda racing pulleys
BBK throttle body
BBK headers (shorty)
Ford Racing X pipe (with cats)
SLP exhaust
Ford Racing Manifold
Bama Race tune and K&N intake. Anyone has any idea how much horsepower his car is making. Its a 2005 Mustang GT Automatic. I was thinking around 320 at the wheels but he claimed as I mentioned in my post around 420 engine hp, which I highly doubt after I beat him with The Camaro quite easily. Then again he did beat my other roomate while driving the Camaro but he doesn't know how to drive.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
beating a 3v is like beating Helen Keller in football.

Yeah, you won, but no need to brag about it.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I text my friend and this are the exact mods he has in his car.
Steeda throttle body spacer
Steeda racing pulleys
BBK throttle body
BBK headers (shorty)
Ford Racing X pipe (with cats)
SLP exhaust
Ford Racing Manifold
Bama Race tune and K&N intake. Anyone has any idea how much horsepower his car is making. Its a 2005 Mustang GT Automatic. I was thinking around 320 at the wheels but he claimed as I mentioned in my post around 420 engine hp, which I highly doubt after I beat him with The Camaro quite easily. Then again he did beat my other roomate while driving the Camaro but he doesn't know how to drive.

If he had a real tune and Long Tubes, he would be around 320-330 RWHP. They weigh 3500LBS and have good gearing for 1/4 races.

Musclefan21, a very well known member here went 12.6 @ 108-109 with Intake, Tune, Mid-pipe and Delete Plates with DR's on a very hot day. I bet he would have gone low 12's @ 110-112 in cooler weather with 1-2 more mods.

Those that crap on the 3V, both of mine ran strong. My 07 Auto with a Non-intercooled Vortech, mid-pipe, stock 3.31 gears with axle backs went 12.2 @ 113 on street tires in 100 degrees. Stock headers, stock suspension and it weighed over 3800LBS with me in it. I imagine with Drag Radials and normal weather it would be a solid 11 second car @ 407 RWHP, especially with the 4.10 gears I later installed but never ran with.

Shawn5.0

Unfortunate mod list on the 3 valve is unfortunate... Afraid he is not seeing any real gains from the Ford Racing Intake, throttle body, throttle body spacer, or even the short tube headers for that matter. Now people who have actually raced these cars, correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have gathered (been doing research on these things getting ready to do a DD bolt on 3 valve myself) the Ford Racing Manifold requires at the very least long tube headers, and ideally cams to make any power. Same goes for the throttle body and throttle body spacer - still marginal gains at best for the TB. So pretty much he has about a $1000 paper weight as far as intake mods go until he steps up to long tubes and cams. Really he should have just got some 4.10s, lower control arms, tires, and a torque converter along with a good tune, instead of a lot of what he has listed. Would have at least hung for a bit - still gonna get Cleveland steamed up top by the LS3 or Coyote with out a power adder, or a serious and well thought out N/A build.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
The
If he had a real tune and Long Tubes, he would be around 320-330 RWHP. They weigh 3500LBS and have good gearing for 1/4 races.

Musclefan21, a very well known member here went 12.6 @ 108-109 with Intake, Tune, Mid-pipe and Delete Plates with DR's on a very hot day. I bet he would have gone low 12's @ 110-112 in cooler weather with 1-2 more mods.

Those that crap on the 3V, both of mine ran strong. My 07 Auto with a Non-intercooled Vortech, mid-pipe, stock 3.31 gears with axle backs went 12.2 @ 113 on street tires in 100 degrees. Stock headers, stock suspension and it weighed over 3800LBS with me in it. I imagine with Drag Radials and normal weather it would be a solid 11 second car @ 407 RWHP, especially with the 4.10 gears I later installed but never ran with.

[video=youtube;IqzQ9IearZQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqzQ9IearZQ[/video]

Rios302

Established Member
The

[video=youtube;IqzQ9IearZQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqzQ9IearZQ[/video]
Now that's one dumb video lol. My 2v back in the day was faster than any 3v stock for stock and mod per mod, at least that was the case with my 2v. It's now my brother's car yet I till drive it every time to boost my testosterone. Compared to the newer cars the manual 2vs have to be man handle.

Zemedici

Established Member
Now that's one dumb video lol. My 2v back in the day was faster than any 3v stock for stock and mod per mod, at least that was the case with my 2v. It's now my brother's car yet I till drive it every time to boost my testosterone. Compared to the newer cars the manual 2vs have to be man handle.

those videos are so ****ing gay.

Rios302

Established Member
Unfortunate mod list on the 3 valve is unfortunate... Afraid he is not seeing any real gains from the Ford Racing Intake, throttle body, throttle body spacer, or even the short tube headers for that matter. Now people who have actually raced these cars, correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have gathered (been doing research on these things getting ready to do a DD bolt on 3 valve myself) the Ford Racing Manifold requires at the very least long tube headers, and ideally cams to make any power. Same goes for the throttle body and throttle body spacer - still marginal gains at best for the TB. So pretty much he has about a $1000 paper weight as far as intake mods go until he steps up to long tubes and cams. Really he should have just got some 4.10s, lower control arms, tires, and a torque converter along with a good tune, instead of a lot of what he has listed. Would have at least hung for a bit - still gonna get Cleveland steamed up top by the LS3 or Coyote with out a power adder, or a serious and well thought out N/A build.
You are so right man. I always told him to read about the mods before believing what the companies claim because everything they claim is vapor water and that's what he uses to claim what his car is making in terms of hp. If anything his car is faster now but not faster than a stock coyote. Back when I had my 2004 Mustang GT, my 2v was faster than his car by half a car every single time. Then he started adding parts and the gains were there since he started to pulled away from my stock 2v by a couple car lenghts.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

Lol... The poor 2v is NOT, I repeat, IS NOT, faster stock for stock or mod for mod than a 3v.

those videos are so ****ing gay.

I guess we know who the party pooper is... Lol

MysticRob

Established Member
...Somehow later that day, my two roommates went to race one more time. This time they were both driving their cars respectively while I was at work. I then get a text saying "Slower Mustang beats SS Camaro with shitty driver"...

Indeed, a bit long, but good ending, OP!
That 3V GT does need much better mods to have a chance against a good driver though. Tell him to save up for a Vortech.

Users who are viewing this thread