Cam swap and boost increase, let's play guess my numbers..

delvin.a

Established Member
I just swapped my .566 lift custom grind cam for the stock '93 cam, I went from 8lbs of boost to 15lbs and added some 60lb injectors. I also ditched my 73mm C&L meter for a 90mm Lightning job.

My prior combo put down 509rwhp, With the custom grind cam and 15lbs of boost 60lb inj's it put down 580-590 (I can't remember now).

So any guesses on what the new number will be? I'm hoping for 510+, I know I took a lot out with the cam change but doubling the boost should make up for that.

Oh it's a Boss 347 8.5:1 with Edelbrock performer heads 1.90/2.02 (ported) and a Professional Products intake.

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
...hmm, you might get lucky and have a near wash or close to it. I'm looking for a good tuner for my project, who are you using in DFW or can you recomend someone reputable between us?

buddha93

Established Member
You'll still be north of 500rwhp. I don't know any cam that's good for 80+rwhp. If there is, let me know! LOL!

I can tell you this, Kurgan does a lot of Si trim, stock blocked 5.0's with a stock cam and can put them right at 500rwhp with a decent set of heads and intake and only 10-11psi. No reason your's won't do the same.

delvin.a

Established Member
Well I finally got the car back, big ups to the guys over at Speedtek and Andy (tuner). My car wasn't running when I dropped it off and they hooked it up.

Anyways here are the numbers
480rwhp/450rwtq

A little lower than I had originally thought but I think I'm getting a little belt slip because it's only making 12lbs on a 2.95 pulley.

The tune is perfect! Andy really did a great job as my goal was to have a car that I could drive around 1200-1600rpm and it does that perfectly without hesitation or the ol' shuffle bit.

buddha93

Established Member
Still makes for a fun ride, and I'm sure it's good safe tune for that Texas heat. What was the AFR at max boost/rpm?

delvin.a

Established Member
It's a much more enjoyable car to drive. It was about 100 degrees on the dyno so big ol' numbers prolly weren't gonna happen.

I don't remember the a/f and the sheet is at home

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Those are the numbers I'd like to hit soon, good job! So what tranny are you running and what kind of gas mileage are you getting with this combo?

I have a few new bugs to work out and a couple more replacement parts to buy and its back to the dyno for me.

Congrats!!

delvin.a

Established Member
I'm running a T-56 don't know about mileage right now I bent been driving it that much since I picked up a '00 accord 4cyl

delvin.a

Established Member
It's nice on the wallet but I'm having to keep my Cobra at my dads since I moved and his place is about 20 minutes away. Wish I could keep it at my place but no garage space and I hate the idea of it sitting outside.

Anybody know what the best bang for the buck outdoor cover is?

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Wish I could keep it at my place but no garage space and I hate the idea of it sitting outside.

Anybody know what the best bang for the buck outdoor cover is?

Not sure what your living environments like, do you have a safe neighborhood or any deed restrictions in your area? You could always build a metal carport for it but if your weather is as bad as Houston is - lots of rain and flooding, some snow or ice and of course the annual hurricane weather I'd garage it. I’d check into a 24hr storage facility near you….or you could always keep it in my garage :rolling:

Last edited:

delvin.a

Established Member
Not sure what your living environments like, do you have a safe neighborhood or any deed restrictions in your area? You could always build a metal carport for it but if your weather is as bad as Houston is - lots of rain and flooding, some snow or ice and of course the annual hurricane weather I'd garage it. I’d check into a 24hr storage facility near you….or you could always keep it in my garage :rolling:

That would be a really long drive.

Ya the new 'hood is a little sketchy so I don't wanna leave it under a carport. The new house only has a one car garage that has my roommates '94 Cobra in it (I moved out of the gf's house and in with a buddy) I'm actually looking for a house to buy soon just having a hard time finding what I want and can afford. Oh well it'll work out

buddha93

Established Member
They make some outdoor type covers, but I would never keep a car stored like that outdoors. I say make the 20 minute drive until you find a place. I'm lucky as hell, by buddy has a detached garage that could store 4 cars if need be and I keep my red car over there.

delvin.a

Established Member
I feel the same about storing it outside so for now it's at the old man's place taking up his space ;) the main goal is finding a new place soon :)

Dark_5.0

Established Member
What supercharger? I bet the tuner left a lot on the table being conservative which isnt a bad thing.

delvin.a

Established Member
What supercharger? I bet the tuner left a lot on the table being conservative which isnt a bad thing.

It's a T-Trim, and yep that's exactly what he did. It was about 110* and humid as a jungle when he tuned it. I love the tune and I'm glad he tuned it conservatively because I really don't wanna build a new motor. I'll prolly get it retuned when it's cooler plus I'm really really considering e85 and I'm definitely doing an air to air intercooler. Also some more boost :)

I'm getting a stupid grin just thinking about it, I'm gonna go drive it now. Muhahahahaha

Users who are viewing this thread