Cam suggestion for 2V 4.6 with blower??

fordcrazy302

Established Member
Okay so I have a basically bone stock 96 Mustang GT 2V. I have decided to start building a nice street car. I've taken this serious enough to get a second job and put all of that money into another savings account just for this car. So here is where I'm at. I want to buy the PI Head conversion kit, have it ported, and have an after market cam put in it. BUT the aftermarket cam needs to be made for supercharging (because I am putting a Kenne Bell 2.1 on the car), but I can't seem to find a 2V cam made specifically for blowers/nitro. I've only found 4V cams. Any suggestions? All of my friends are GM guys and I since I am extremely new to this whole thing I need help.

If there isn't a cam made specifically for my application, would a comp cams xtreme energy Stage II cam work even though it's made for NA applications... I think..?

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
For your application our stage 2 Custom blower cams would be perfect, we have nitrous options on them also for no extra charge which favors the nitrous too. These cams have a great sounding idle and make power through to 7200 RPM. We can also help you with your head porting needs and offer three stages from mild to wild.

Let us know how we can help!

MMR
Danny.jpg

Entrenched

Established Member
heads

Do the Trick Flow 2v heads. I don't know how much you're planning on spending, but everything I've seen and read about the TF heads makes them hard to beat, albeit at a cost.

fordcrazy302

Established Member
To Modular Mustang Racing: Can you give me a price range as far as just the porting of the PI heads? Also, would you suggest me go with different after market heads? If so, which ones?

My second question is this: I am most likely going to be doing this in stages over the next year. Are the cams something I could put on before the KB supercharger or do I need to wait and run what is stock?

My third question: I will need a rebuild kit before I start any of these big mods. I was looking at federal mogul. Do you have any suggestions as far as a rebuild kit goes. Also, assuming I will have to have my engine bored during the rebuild, how much should it be bored over?

Please help me with these questions. I am completely new to this and need help from a technician that knows their stuff. If you can help me out, you will have a repeat customer.

fordcrazy302

Established Member
Can you give me a price range as far as just the porting of the PI heads? Also, would you suggest me go with different after market heads? If so, which ones?

My second question is this: I am most likely going to be doing this in stages over the next year. Are the cams something I could put on before the KB supercharger or do I need to wait and run what is stock?

My third question: I will need a rebuild kit before I start any of these big mods. I was looking at federal mogul. Do you have any suggestions as far as a rebuild kit goes. Also, assuming I will have to have my engine bored during the rebuild, how much should it be bored over?

Please help me with these questions. I am completely new to this and need help from a technician that knows their stuff. If you can help me out, you will have a repeat customer.

GTBill

Established Member
if i was you i'd keep the NPI heads and get those worked. there's more "meat" on them and they can be honed more then a set of PI heads, also they make more compression (mill the shit out of them). make sure to get a quality valve job while you're at it, actually mines well get bigger valves.

if you want to save money/time/headaches don't do it in "stages". do it all at once, while everything is out of the car.

the 4.6L 2v engine's limiting factor isn't the size of the bore, it's the flow of the heads. if you get a set of nice heads, you shouldn't have to worry about a bore. although, you will need a forged rotating assembly for the kind of power you're talking about, so maybe a .20-30 over kit, i don't know. i'm sure someone more seasoned on here does know, though.

don't forget to "beef up" the rest of your drive train. i'd recommend a t-56 with a spec 3 clutch (love mine) and some kind of beefed up rear end (im clueless there).

fordcrazy302

Established Member
The main reason for the bore is because my car is currently a daily driver with 120,000 miles on it. I just assumed if I was going to start building the car I would need to bore and hone, and buy a rebuild kit.

Please please please correct me if I'm wrong about that and make any suggestions. Be detailed please.

GTBill

Established Member
Oh, right. Good thinking there.

IMO buy another car for a daily beater if you're really serious about making power. It wil be cheaper in the long run because...fast cars break, there's no
way around it. Life sucks when your only car is broken. Makes it hard to get to work

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
To Modular Mustang Racing: Can you give me a price range as far as just the porting of the PI heads? Also, would you suggest me go with different after market heads? If so, which ones?

Here is our breakdown for 2v porting, these prices include dis-assembly, competition valve job and re-assembly with new seals and a full port job of the intake, exhaust and combustion chamber.

Stage 1 2Valve $600 +20HP

Stage 2 2Valve $750 +30HP

Stage 3 2 Valve $850 +40HP

To answer your second question the cams can be installed before the supercharger, clearly they will not gain as much as one of our dedictaed n/a cams but they will still make more power and be ready for the blower when you install it.

To answer your final question a rebuild kit is a good idea but we suggest a forged rebuild kit since you are planning a blower, putting it back together again with stock style parts is a waste of money. We suggest our 600 or 900 rotating assembly which inlcudes everything but the block, it will fit in your stock block with no other changes and we suggest going up just one bore size (+.020) which is no extra charge for the pistons.

Let us know how we can help,

Mark
MMR
1-877-MOD-POWR

2010%20Launch.jpg

03TRKB

The LSX Swapped Guy
Established Member

I would go ahead and go Forged, and if your going forged run the KB 2.6 :banana: It can make 700, so a Cobra Crank, Manley H Beams, Manley, Diamond, or JE Pistons with rings and bearings and your golden, and with the bigger blower there is no NEED to run nitrous.

fordcrazy302

Established Member
Thanks Mark! I'm gonna be keeping in touch with you guys. I had no idea what all went into building a Ford lol. A mechanic friend of mine built a 350 out of a Tahoe for his nova. It was streetable and ran a 6.63 in the 8th and it was a daily driver that used the original 3 speed tranny and bottom end. I was wrong for assuming a Ford would be this easy lol!

Anyways, I think I'm just going to go with the rebuild 20 over heads, cam, 24LB injectors, fuel rail, 70mm throttle body, intake spacer, bbk shorty headers, cold air kit, intake plenum and forget about supercharging it. What cam do you suggest for NA? I want to keep it around 300 at the rear wheels.

To GTBILL: I will start driving my little old grandpa ranger when this work is done.

fordcrazy302

Established Member
I take back what I just said Mark. I looked up the price for that forged rebuild kit. I didn't realize how reasonable the price is. I will go ahead with my supercharged plan. I have a feeling I'll be buying everything from you guys. Also, I would rather buy the ported trick flow heads you guys have. Would the stage 1's be okay? And would the previously mentioned cam work with these heads?

1Sick2Valve

Established Member
CMS stage II blower cams... They worked perfect with my KB on my 03 2v... sounded killer as well.

quikcobra

Established Member
Call Nick at modular head shop tell him your setup and goals he will get you the cams YOU need. usually they will be cheaper then off the shelf.

SonicTerminator

Whistle Box Equipped 4.6
Established Member
just made 420hp on a 03 GT with pro-charger, and stage 2 na cams that were installed a year back, though blower cams are preferred. 70 degree intake temps. maybe wanna stay away from a non intercooled twin screw, you aint ever gonna see 70 degree intake temps unless its 20 outside.

Last edited:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I take back what I just said Mark. I looked up the price for that forged rebuild kit. I didn't realize how reasonable the price is. I will go ahead with my supercharged plan. I have a feeling I'll be buying everything from you guys. Also, I would rather buy the ported trick flow heads you guys have. Would the stage 1's be okay? And would the previously mentioned cam work with these heads?

Yes, they are pretty affordable! The MMR stage 1's are one of the nicest heads available and will make alot of power! Good choice!

MMR

Users who are viewing this thread