Cam install how-to???

Wallace7666

Established Member
Im wondering if someone has done a write up on swapping heads/cams. Im going to do the job myself but in all honesty, DOHC scares me a little and I dont want to mess it up. I will be removing the heads and swapping my lash adjusters and followers to the new heads along with a set of Comp stage 2 cams. Id like a step by step how-to from the point I have the complete motor on a stand and start the tear down. Ive searched google and the threads in here with no luck. If anybody has one, or knows where to get one it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
The service manual has this info. It is really not that difficult. The sprockets all have timing marks and the chains go on with the outside-most links going on the timing marks. When you release the tensioners on the timing chains, the cams will slip into whatever position they are comfortable resting in due to the springs. You have to turn the cams on the back of the head with a small ratchet to the proper timing mark alignment. Those are really the only tricky parts. I'm not sure if you want to get as involved as degreeing the cams, but this is also not that difficult. The cams should have instructions on how to mount them to the sprockets and all that as well. Just post back up if you run into a jam and everyone on here will chime in. Good luck with everything.

JeronimoJC

Established Member
Cool. I added a YouTube video just now on how to remove the rocker arms.
Keep doing research and take your time. I did a practice run on reading the stock cam position with the degree wheel before I removed the stock cams just so I felt better about not screwing things up once I swapped cams.
Two of the most important things are checking piston to valve clearance and not messing up timing. Neither of these are too difficult, but will require a good understanding. Good luck.

Wallace7666

Established Member
Yeah I read up on checking PTV clearance. I dont think Ill have a problem since these cams arent too aggressive but I definitely want to check everything to ensure proper functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread