Cam covers, AFCO, KB 2.2, 03 Cobra Installation Pictures - Some assembly req.!

sonicmach1

Established Member
Headers Into Catless X Pipe Into Borla Mufflers Start Up
Catless X was the only offered X pipe for my setup. I am most likely going to modify it with some "race" type catalysts in the future. I will wait and see how it sounds driving it.

sonicmach1

Established Member
After having Borlas on 3 of my past Cobras with no cats I'm surprised theris no rasp...what mufflers are you using?

Thanks for the info and question!

I have never liked a raspy catless sound either.

I have the so-called "quiet" chambered Borlas. With my catted Magnaflow X pipe, it had a mellow sound in normal to moderate driving, but still aggressive when you got on it - with no drone. I really liked that sound.

I was concerned the headers (first experience on a mod motor with them) and being catless that the sound would be that hollow raspy sound. I also thought that my Borlas would moderate that some. So far it sounds like it does somewhat, but I will not really know until I get the car out driving, hot, and at various RPM and loads.

I will probably still end up putting in some cats for various reasons.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Cats are for hippies!

Thanks for the info and question!

I have never liked a raspy catless sound either.

I have the so-called "quiet" chambered Borlas. With my catted Magnaflow X pipe, it had a mellow sound in normal to moderate driving, but still aggressive when you got on it - with no drone. I really liked that sound.

I was concerned the headers (first experience on a mod motor with them) and being catless that the sound would be that hollow raspy sound. I also thought that my Borlas would moderate that some. So far it sounds like it does somewhat, but I will not really know until I get the car out driving, hot, and at various RPM and loads.

I will probably still end up putting in some cats for various reasons.

sonicmach1

Established Member
I went ahead and got the spindles silver metallic powder coated to match the rear suspension arms when the coating company had an opening for silver. All the time I spend with POR and spray paint was lost, but powder is so much more durable.
Cobra_Under_Rack and Braces (2).jpg

I have the crossmember, steering rack and linkage, MM subframe brace, engine mount nuts, and sway bar all torqued. The HEGOs are all wired in and zip tied.

I am pretty much ready to work on the hubs, spindles, and coil overs now.

Cobra_Under_Rack and Braces (4).jpg Cobra_Under_Rack and Braces (5).jpg Cobra_Under_Rack and Braces (6).jpg Cobra_Under_Rack and Braces (7).jpg Cobra_Under_Rack and Braces (8).jpg Cobra_Under_Rack and Braces (9).jpg Cobra_Under_Rack and Braces (10).jpg Cobra_Under_Rack and Braces (11).jpg

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
You'll thank yourself down the road. I've read a LOT of negative about POR 15 even when applied after proper prep. Powder ftw when it's an option.

I went ahead and got the spindles silver metallic powder coated to match the rear suspension arms when the coating company had an opening for silver. All the time I spend with POR and spray paint was lost, but powder is so much more durable.
View attachment 1504308

I have the crossmember, steering rack and linkage, MM subframe brace, engine mount nuts, and sway bar all torqued. The HEGOs are all wired in and zip tied.

I am pretty much ready to work on the hubs, spindles, and coil overs now.

View attachment 1504309 View attachment 1504310 View attachment 1504311 View attachment 1504312 View attachment 1504313 View attachment 1504314 View attachment 1504315 View attachment 1504307

sonicmach1

Established Member
You'll thank yourself down the road. I've read a LOT of negative about POR 15 even when applied after proper prep. Powder ftw when it's an option.

I have had good experiences with it in the past, but you really have to be careful during the prep - degreasing and metal etching. It is also better to paint it over a surface with rusty bits for "bite" (but I have not done that). You need 2 coats of the POR with scuff sanding in between.

My issue with the spindles was the topcoat silver spray paint was fragile. All moot now since I was able to get in the schedule for silver powder!

Thanks for the feedback.

merkyworks

Established Member
Man all these new parts look so bright and shiny it makes the frame/body look old and dingy and your frame/body is in super nice condition. LOL

Cars looking good!

Samsred04gt

Not Banned
Established Member
I have been watching your progress from day one. Its perfect. Do you ever take it to shows. Would love to see it. I live in brookfield IL by the zoo.

sonicmach1

Established Member
I have been watching your progress from day one. Its perfect. Do you ever take it to shows. Would love to see it. I live in brookfield IL by the zoo.

Thanks - It is hard to believe it has been almost 9 years of work!

I do show it, but more in central IL. I do want to go to the Morris shows.

Last edited:

sonicmach1

Established Member
BLAST UPDATES WILL FOLLOW THIS POST (8-8-2018)
In the final assembly order...

New Timken hubs installed on the spindles
Fine polished the spindle stud
New new OEM nuts

Hubs_Spindles_Assembling_8042018 (7).jpg Hubs_Spindles_Assembling_8042018 (3).jpg

Hubs_Spindles_Assembling_8042018 (2).jpg Hubs_Spindles_Assembling_8042018 (5).jpg Hubs_Spindles_Assembling_8042018 (6).jpg

Last edited:

sonicmach1

Established Member
Maximum Motorsports Forward Offset A-Arms & Poly Bushings
(These move the front wheels forward to center into the wheel well opening.)

MaxMotorsports_Front_AArms_7132017.jpg MM_AArms_Installed_7282018 (2).jpg MM_AArms_Installed_7282018 (3).jpg MM_AArms_Installed_7282018 (5).jpg

sonicmach1

Established Member
Maximum Motorsports Endlinks and Bumpsteer Kit

These replace the stock endlink ball joint with a spherical bearing. I did have to drill out the tapered stock spindle mount to a straight through 5/8" through hole using my HD drill press. Using a bumpsteer gauge and stroking the suspension range without the springs removed will allow me to pick the best spacer config to produce the least bumpsteer.

MaxMotorsports_Front Bumpsteer_7132017.jpg

The new endlinks are slightly longer so I lined up the stock and new ones as best I could and turned the jam nut inward to make up the difference. Doing so, it was spot on for alignment after the install.

Endlinks_Bumpsteer_Kit_MM_8052018 (4).jpg Endlinks_Bumpsteer_Kit_MM_8052018 (1).jpg

I held the endlink with a lock jaw wrench while I tightened the new endlinks. I painted the stock parts as well.
IMG_20180806_002758.jpg IMG_20180806_002806.jpg Steering_Rack_Arm_Painted_8052018.jpg

sonicmach1

Established Member
Spindles Attached to A Arms

Ignore the double stacked nut. I initially ran a regular nut down first to test the fitment.

Spindle_Assembled_AArm_8042018 (3).jpg Spindle_Assembled_AArm_8042018 (5).jpg Spindle_Assembled_AArm_8042018 (6).jpg

Since the ball joint stud spins when you put much torque on it, I put my floor jack under the A Arm to load the joint up. This allowed me to torque the nut easily as required.

IMG_20180806_223119.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread