Cam Choice 106200 vs 106400

bumsoil

Established Member
Getting ready to yank the motor on my Cobra to rebuild its knocking bottom end. Depending on the cost of the rebuild, there's a pretty good chance I'm dropping a set of cams in.
Right now my combination is stock B heads, a short runner intake with a raised floor, Ford racing shorties, IMRC deletes, and a cold air intake.

My head's were rebuilt about 50,000 mi ago, so if I got the 106200's I would not have to upgrade valve springs which would be nice.
But from my research, it sounds like a B head with a short runner would be much happier with the 106400's.
This motor is going to be coming out and coming apart again at some point, so there is a chance depending on money, that I'll be installing the cams straight up without degreeing (OEM gears). Then degreeing them later when the motor comes apart again and I can afford adjustable timing gear and a Comp degree kit.
If it turns out that I can just re-ring and re-bearing my motor with stock rods and pistons, I'll definitely be jumping on a set of 106400's and springs.

Any input would be awesome, I like to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I go ordering almost $2,000 worth of cam's haha.
I'm also not opposed to the used market, it's just harder to find exactly what I want used.

wirelessguy2005

Established Member
Might want to take a look at the Crower cams as well, Lidio highly recommended them and says thats what he uses exclusively for all the 4v modulars.

96dreamer

Established Member
Neither. Have Todd (NA SVT)make you a custom ground set. You will get everything you want custom spec'd for your build and the price is the same or cheaper than off the shelf "stage" cams. He used to be a member here although I'm not sure he's active anymore. Very active on the facebook page, NA SVT Camshafts, Modular Tech Group.

Edit: There is also ways to degree the cams without dropping hundreds on adjustable gears. You can get older cam gears that didn't have the integrated key and file them then use key stock to hold them in place with arp bolts. Been done many times with no issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread