Calling All who had the Head replacment or who replaces heads....??

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
Ok now heres my problem...I just got my car back from the dealer (23days there). Car went in with a LOUD TICK and Blue smoke...They replaced the head and now it just TICKS....I can hear it in the car but faintly....Kinda hear it with the hood open and only hear it on the driver side header with stethescope. The Dealer(service manager) Told me that he talked the SVT Tech an the thech do not understand why it is still TICKING. He (Service manager) asked me if I replace or changed the pulley (WHO ME) I told him the only thing I did was the exhuast and T/B....He then told me that the SVT tech asked him to look at some things and the measure the pulley, which he said he did and it was not stock.
The tech asked the S/M if the car looked MODED.. The S/M told him that he didnt see any mods that would make the head problem(good for me). The the tech told the S/M that they will be sending some one out to look at the car after the holidays.(gives me a week)...I asked the S/M if it would be better if I put back on the STOCK Exhuast. He told me that he didt tell the tech that the car was MODED so if the car come back STOCK:shrug: ....
But he added that the tech already knows the pulley was measured...but "I DONT KNOW NOTHING"

Now it sounds like I have the INFAMOUS TICK.....and I think my warranty will be voided soon....QUESTION......

1. Does cooling bypass that APTEN makes get rid of the TICK?
2. Does anyone know where I can go to repair this head other then a dealer...and it has to be in FLORIDA..(STEEDA ????)

3. OR should I have it LEMONED (In Florida car has to be OUT OF SERVICE for 30+day. It doesnt have to be in a row, just 30 days in less the 12 monthe that I got the car)?????
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!!!!!!
:beer: :beer:

Last edited:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
you left the 2.80 pulley on correct? Why did you tell them all you have is exhaust/TB if the 2,80 pulley is on the car?

and for your questions:
1. No (someone correct me if I am wrong)
2. Just about any respectable shop can replace a head. The problem is, if the dealer just put a new one on, your heads are not broken. Its something else in the motor.

Does the noise go away under load?

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
The TICK is there throughout....I hear it up to a point. The Exhaust is loud....I think its the head just because I only hear it on the one side (drivers) and only hear it in the drivers side Header.....I could be wrong but replacing the head with a head that is the same, would the tick still be there!!!!

PhillyCobra

Established Member
The "tick", for which Ford replaces heads according to their TSB, will NOT appear on a new head! It is the result of damage to the valve guide in cylinders 7 or 8 from overheading from a design flaw in the head's coolant passages.

A tick in a new head is NOT necessarily a problem. It could be normal. It could be normal valvetrain noise. On a new head install it could easily be a header leak.

Don't get too upset about the noise. Check for an exhaust leak and see what happens.

Apten's mod is a preventative for high output engines-- increases coolant flow in the back of the driver's head (already is an outlet to the heater in the passenger head).

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
but why would the dealer replace the head with the same one? They must not know what they are doing, if you don't have the updated head, the dealer should be able to find that out and put on the new one.

I think your screwed once the rep comes to look at your car. If you really want to get it under warranty, get your car back, put on the stock manifolds/TB/exhuast and especially the pulley.

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
Not an exhaust leak...You know what it sounds like? It sounds like a lifter tapping....I have heard of sticky lifters could this be the problem...??? how can I check to see if it it?

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Smoken,

I'm not sure how to exactly prove if a noise is a lifter (actually valve lash adjuster in this application) except to hear where it is with a stethoscope and be familiar with what it sounds like. Unfortunately, it's right near where the "tick" would be, but the tick is MUCH louder and really noticeable.

I would again suggest just giving it some time and having some other folks listen to it. It might go away. Another possibility is to change the oil soon, even though it was just done, as sometimes that can help with a sticking lifter. I've heard a lot of other 2003 Cobras in addition to mine, and they all have a variety of ticks and other noises that often come and go.

There's no way the dealer would have replaced the head with an early run (before 11-02) head for this repair.

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
well when I first got the car there was NO TICK realy NO TICK... It just came one day after gitting her up to 160+.. and it TICKED LOUD and Blue smoke out the Tail pipes....Now the Tick is softer but I can still hear it off walls and in the Drivers side wheel well.....No Smoke! Even when I talked to the Tech that did the job he told be that the Head gasket was fine...What other thing could be making that sound(ROD, Piston Pin....????)

Thanks Guys for all you help too

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Smoken,

Obviously your motor broke. I would assume they checked the lower part of the motor as well as the heads when they repaired it.

A bearing or piston pin noise should really be audible lower in the engine, particularly underneath, and not sound like a lifter.

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
Well the tech told me that when the car came in he called SVT and they told him to just replace the head... He didnt tell me that they checked the bottom end....He would have told me this... the dealer has been very helpful with it all!!!

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Smoken,

I would again advise you to just give it awhile. If you're not smoking obviously the primary problem was fixed. If you were smoking from something broken on the lower part of the engine, it would still be smoking if they only changed the head. If you damaged a piston it would have been noticed when they replaced the head.

I think you should calm down, enjoy the Holidays, and give your service tech a call Friday or Monday and ask them what was wrong and what they did to fix it. Just drive the car moderately for a while and see how it goes.

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
I think your right...I need to calm down....Ill just take it like a man and see what happens....well have a good Holiday!!!!!

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
It sounds to me like the cam caps might not be torqued correctly. Its a sound that resembles the tick only not as loud from what i hear. What he is describing, and the fact that the smoke is fixed, yet they had all that apart, sure shounds fishy to me. Maybe something to look into or have them try?

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
I think it's a case where headers whether shorty or long tube amplify valve train sounds that are normal.

I notice alot more ticking and I had my engine replaced!

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
well I got the car up and I was looking and listening. Well bad news I think....The ticking sound is comming from the lower motor...I did the old Screwdriver to the motor and the ear trick... right next to the Oil pan is a part of the engine that sticks out(right around cylinder 7-8)... It sound like some thing banging around...I just cant tell....like a tapping noise...it stays the same under load and goes with the rpm's...

Now I just dont know what to do....

n2fords2003

Established Member
I have a tick when I first start the car. It could set there for an hour and tick the whole time but after I drive it and it warms up good my tick goes away. Has anyone found this problem??

NVNM8OR

Established Member
n2..,
I have the same ticking upon warm up. It is there while the car is cold. After a few miles of the first drive it is gone. I am thinking cold oil and sticking a bit. Mine is on the drivers side. You?? I really do not want to be messing with pulling heads or bottom ends or whatever. But I don't like noises like that.

ColdBloodedVert

Established Member
My 03 vert has the tick but it only comes when the car is up to temperature and it is loud. It goes away (or I just can't hear it over the exhaust) as the revs go over 1500. My car has done this ever since it was new. I have had it back several times. I even had the head replaced and it has not gotten any better. I waited a long time before modding the car but finally said screw it since this has all been documented since it was new.

Any ideas on what this tick may be. It is definitely the driver's side coming from the top of the motor near the back. Could it be a lifter that is not getting enough oil at low rpm and then is OK once the revs come up???:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread