Not open for further replies.

notfastenuf

vertias y aequitas
Established Member
Tools Needed:
Drill (Electric preferred)
Dremel Rotary Tool
Dremel Sanding Bands (60 / 120)
511E EZ Lock Finishing Abrasive Buffs - 180 & 280 grit (2 Pack)
512E EZ Lock Finishing Abrasive Buffs 320 Grit (2 Pack)
Wire Brush and Wire Sander (Fine) w/ Shank
Sanding Block w/ various sand paper (180-420)
Cotton Buffing Wheel (Wide or Narrow)
Tripoli Compound
Mothers Metal Polish

To begin with, I conducted all my necessary brake upgrades before polishing the calipers (except my first corner). Russell steel brake lines, Brembo blank rotors and Hawk HPS pads were installed prior. I tried doing the polishing while the caliper was off but didn't feel as stable as when it was bolted in.

Be sure to at least wipe the calipers off from road grime and/or grease. I did this prior to beginning the polishing process. I began using the wire wheel on the calipers to eliminate any remaining grime and dirt. Work back and forth slowly, but with some muscle.

brakes_01.gif

Next, I used the Dremel with various abrasive sanding bands (60/120) to remove the casting finish. You can use a sanding block to supplement on this step but just keep in mind it will take longer. I used both, with the sanding block second. Any deep marks you make from lingering with the buffs will have to be sanded / buffed out smooth. I used the sanding block for the main final finish after the sanding bands because it's a larger area. There were several gouges on each of the four calipers that needed to be removed too.

brakes_02.gif

The next stage in the process is buffing the caliper down with the 180 grit buffing wheel or sanding block and working your way up to 280/320 range. You will really start to notice the difference with the color change and texture – taking your time on this stage is crucial in getting the caliper to feel smooth. Again, use the sanding block with a very fine grit paper - 320/400ish. When finished with this, wipe down with a dry towel to remove particles.

brakes_04.gif

Next, is the initial polishing with the tripoli compound. You will see here where the missed spots are that need to be re-sanded / ground down. They hold the tripoli and you will seen the uneven areas. I concentrated on the main face and top area of the caliiper. My first caliper took the most time because of trial and error on corrections.

brakes_05.gif

See all the porous spots on the caliper...
brakes_06.gif

brakes_07.gif

To get a high shine on the calipers, I used a wide cotton buffing wheel. At this point you will see why the previous stage is so important. There were several spots on each caliper that I had to go back over a few areas. If the areas were not completely flat they will trap the Tripoli compound and appeared dullish.

brakes_08.gif

The Tripoli compound comes in a stick and is very hard. Just keep the polish pushed up to cotton buffing wheel to while it is spinning. Applying the compound several times was necessary to really bring the shine up. Take your time on this step – no need to lean into the buffing wheel and break a sweat; just keep at it.

brakes_09.gif

brakes_10.gif

Everything can be found at Home Depot and getting in there with some simple green while everything is torn up is not a bad idea either. Comments / Suggestions welcome.
[email protected]

Couple pics after dressing up the rotors a bit.
rearleft_new.gif

frontleft_new.gif

Last edited:

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
looks awesome! i have been debating on doing this for awhile now, tired of constantly repainting the calipers red

bad93snake

STREET405
Established Member
Looks great, definately another option if you're willing to do a little work...3 questions; how has it held up over time? Do you have to polish them ever so often? Did you think about clear coating them? And what did you use to flush the piston holes with?

notfastenuf

vertias y aequitas
Established Member
bad93snake said:
Looks great, definately another option if you're willing to do a little work...3 questions; how has it held up over time? Do you have to polish them ever so often? Did you think about clear coating them? And what did you use to flush the piston holes with?

1) Perfectly fine (see 2)
2) Went back and cleared them - several recommended this and it has killed any issues with rust, etc...
3) I only polished as much as you can see - the outside of the caliper, not underneath. I take it, that is what you meant.

onebadmystic

Established Member
where did you get the polished caps for to fill the pistons? looks awesome by the way. my buddy suggested doing this. I wish I could see it in person.

notfastenuf

vertias y aequitas
Established Member
onebadmystic said:
where did you get the polished caps for to fill the pistons? looks awesome by the way. my buddy suggested doing this. I wish I could see it in person.

got 'em from a member... but they're electrical caps for a fuse box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread