caliper pin yanked out of caliper bracket

YELOSNK

Established Member
Installed new rotors and pads and when I started to do my break-in procedure, after a few hard brakes something was wrong. Upon inspection, the driver's side caliper was up on one end and the holding pin was gone. I figured maybe the new pin was a tiny bit smaller so tried an old one. but it did the same thing. This didn't happen with the previous pads, but then again, those were regular street pads and I probably never braked as hard as trying to bed these XP10s.

I've ordered a new caliper bracket to see if that fixes it, but curious if anyone else has seen this happen.

caliper.jpg

Attachments

• caliper.jpg
    caliper.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 46

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Can't say I've ever seen that before. The notch on the brake pad looks really shallow. How does it compare to the old pads? Or even the other side.

YELOSNK

Established Member
Are you missing a banjo bolt? The caliper is not aligned so I am assuming it's moving.
oh yeah it's missing a pin there. that's what got yanked out when I slammed on the brakes and why the caliper is tilted up. you can see where the pin goes in the bracket and the notch on the pad.

Can't say I've ever seen that before. The notch on the brake pad looks really shallow. How does it compare to the old pads? Or even the other side.
well glad I am special, at least. It has ruined me signing up for a track day this weekend, but at least it did so before I signed up and not after I got on track.

anyways, I will pull out the old pads and take a look at the new passenger side ones. Only reason I immediately thought of the caliper bracket is with the driver's side before I did have a problem with the pads/caliper "clanking" some. that and I'd hope carbotech wouldn't mess up the pad backing.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Did you install new clips with the pads? I left them out of mine one time and there was a clunk going over speed bumps and stuff. Once I put new clips in the clunk went away. But the caliper never popped out like that.

YELOSNK

Established Member
Did you install new clips with the pads? I left them out of mine one time and there was a clunk going over speed bumps and stuff. Once I put new clips in the clunk went away. But the caliper never popped out like that.

if you're referring to the clip at the rearward/lower edge of the pads near where the pin goes in, those came with the new pads. It's possible they just got bent on the old pads and that's why it was clunking then. the new pads don't clunk, at least not until after it ripped out the pin.

this clip:
clip.jpg

hotcobra03

Established Member
More pics would help.

Side by old and new pad

I've had my pin slide out from e-clip coming off. Caliper banged wheel.

I've had the ring on pad break and Caliper hit wheel.

That rattle clip can be tricky getting pad to fully seat, and pin still go in but crooked .

shurur

Established Member
Perfect excuse to get new brakes.....and all in the name of safety.
Ask your wife whether she cares about your safety...then the expenditure is approved..

Bullitt1448

Established Member
[
Perfect excuse to get new brakes.....and all in the name of safety.
Ask your wife whether she cares about your safety...then the expenditure is approved..

Possibly….. depends on her mood

Dave.O

Established Member
I have used carbotech 8s and 10s without issue on track for a while

As mentioned earlier is any of the retaining hardware missing that would have allowed the pin to come loose?
I guess it’s also possible the pin was fatigued already and gave up during bedding process

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

YELOSNK

Established Member
No hardware missing. The pin used the first time was brand new, pin the second time was one of the old ones. Both got yanked out.

anyways, I put the new bracket on and while I wasn't able to do a full bedding process, I did do 3-4 hard brakes and nothing popped out this time. When comparing the brackets side-by-side, it does look like where the pin is held on the old one is perhaps a bit thinner at the end that holds it in and the half circle is definitely more rounded. I'm thinking when it was "cleaned up" it was done too aggressively and removed enough material for a hard brake to slip the pin through.

I did also compare the notch on the old pads vs the new and I'd say if anything the new look better. the old look to have the end of the notch that would hold the pad under the pin somewhat rounded.

We'll see what happens when I get out for a full bedding attempt again. Thank you all for the responses.

YELOSNK

Established Member
Well, was able to complete the full break-in process without issue. Went ahead and replaced the other one as well, to be safe. guess the takeaway for me is if the brackets look like they need to have surface rust cleaned off 'em, don't. Just buy new ones.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Users who are viewing this thread