Calimer MT82 Transmission reviews

19svtcobra98

Established Member
Just wanted to give you my honest opinion on Calimer transmissions. I bought a stage 3 23 spline Mt82 from him and got it once I installed it it started leaking oil like bad enough to get on my exhaust. Was told the tailshaft seal was probably not installed correctly so they sent me out another one that I would have to change out but before i could do that the input shaft broke on it. And this was on the street not at the track. The customer service talking to Allen was something in it's own. He seemed like a really nice guy when i originally told him about the problem then changed to being really rude once he had the transmission in his possession. Said there was nothing he could do that he sent out a good transmission and got back a broken one. So now i have to pay another $1440 to get it fixed again granted he is going to now install a 26 spline input shaft. I would recommend staying away from Calimer transmission. Or maybe I just had bad luck and a bad experience with them

14 yote

I purchased the stage 2 transmission and the 4th gear completely failed after break-in period. Been trying to get customer service from Calimer. But unfortunately it has been a nightmare to get help from a brand new product that didn't hold up.

noco5.0

Established Member
Anybody dealt with Lashbrook out of Oklahoma? They don't seem to be as talked about online as Calimer but looks like they rebuild a lot of MT82 transmissions.

2014gtcs

Established Member
The bad about the mt82 is the internals and it's remote mounted. The good is that the casing is durable and can withstand a lot of abuse. I've heard nothing but good things coming from Calimer owners but it's still remote mounted, unless you go with a MGW to take the remoteness out of the equation. Or, just go Tremec that is a toplader and bang gears all day.

14 yote

I purchased the stage 2 transmission and the 4th gear completely failed after break-in period. Been trying to get customer service from Calimer. But unfortunately it has been a nightmare to get help from a brand new product that didn't hold up.
Update as of now. I'm being forced to either buy a new transmission or pretty much buy a new stage 2 again with repairs. Customer service from them is garbage and wants to blame me for the failure and blame the clutch. Spoke with the president at Mantic and he stands with his product and the clutch did not cause the failure on the transmission.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Update as of now. I'm being forced to either buy a new transmission or pretty much buy a new stage 2 again with repairs. Customer service from them is garbage and wants to blame me for the failure and blame the clutch. Spoke with the president at Mantic and he stands with his product and the clutch did not cause the failure on the transmission.
What are your mods?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Full bolt-on, e85 car, MGW shifter. Was prepping for TT. The trans stage 2 calimer paired with mantic twin disk clutch.
That's interesting. I'm pretty sure on a stage 2 the only thing he recommended was a McLeod RST to me. I think he said everything else engages too hard and will break the trans.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
That's interesting. I'm pretty sure on a stage 2 the only thing he recommended was a McLeod RST to me. I think he said everything else engages too hard and will break the trans.

What I was told as well.

14 yote

well that's great to hear he steered you in the right direction, How long ago was that convo?

I never got told this until after the transmission failed. But I also asked if the pair was good to work and informed yes. So either way the communication failed. Numerous emails were sent before purchase about the products.

If that's the case of his company really caring for customers. They would have notified the customer that they have issues with certain clutches paired with their transmissions.

Not to inform after a break and then look to pool more money from the customer instead of helping.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
well that's great to hear he steered you in the right direction, How long ago was that convo?

I never got told this until after the transmission failed. But I also asked if the pair was good to work and informed yes. So either way the communication failed. Numerous emails were sent before purchase about the products.

If that's the case of his company really caring for customers. They would have notified the customer that they have issues with certain clutches paired with their transmissions.

Not to inform after a break and then look to pool more money from the customer instead of helping.
I can't remember to be honest. About a year ago I'd guess.

So what're you going to do?

boss mt82 blues

I'm reading lots of posts of people purchasing or thinking of purchasing different Stages of Calimers rebuilt MT82 transmissions, but very few follow up threads or posts after install.

I'm interested in hearing about the "Stage 2" and "Stage 3" transmissions

I have seen at least one You Tube video of the Stage 3 having a nasty vibration, to the point of causing a miss fire code. (according to OP)

I hope that was just an isolated incident. Any body here install one??
The lack of communication post install is a great sign as you know if it was all junked up they darn sure would have vented it here, I'm enjoying mine while I can 16,000 miles on it it's like brand new which is insane anything I need to be ready and get me either something entirely new and re-engineer everything good ratios spines and all or somehow hope that they can bulletproof one of these junk Chinese pieces of you know what, Ford, thought they learned they've always done this you have a bunch of quality then you'll have a substandard this or substandard that ford just seems like they're never going to learn. If you build quality people will talk more people will buy I mean it's very simple try to save pennies here and Penny's there ends up costing you dollars in the long run..mt-82 junk junk junk! I don't know anybody who owns one of these cars that enjoys running it buys it for the performance of it and wouldn't mind paying a little bit extra for a decent transmission and actually the money we spend it ought to have it anyway!

LS WUT

Established Member
Yeah, I don’t have good things to say about them. My buddy with that FBO GT sent his off for the stage 3. We got it back with the upgraded synchro’s and such. Car never shifted the same again, it’s sad to say that the stock one was better than after he got his back. I want to say it was $2,800 or so shipped. When we told him about the issues. He told us to ship it back on our dime and he would “save us” on labor to inspect it. Needless to say he was fed up with the car, and sold it. However I told him to just buy a magnum and never look back.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Yeah, I don’t have good things to say about them. My buddy with that FBO GT sent his off for the stage 3. We got it back with the upgraded synchro’s and such. Car never shifted the same again, it’s sad to say that the stock one was better than after he got his back. I want to say it was $2,800 or so shipped. When we told him about the issues. He told us to ship it back on our dime and he would “save us” on labor to inspect it. Needless to say he was fed up with the car, and sold it. However I told him to just buy a magnum and never look back.
Haven’t heard much good about Calimer as of late and I am needing another MT82…. But don’t have the warm and fuzzy about sending that mfer my money…

Users who are viewing this thread