California Will Start Testing for ECU Tunes

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
You can live in a tent on the sidewalk, piss and shit on the street like a dog, shoot up heroin in a kiddie playground, rape and steal at will with no consequences..... However if you tune your car, then you are public enemy #1. Did you all know Larry Elder is running for governor? This would be a gift from god to you in CA if he wins.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Yet there are still people on this site who continue to add stand-alones, bigger blowers, headers etc. There is either an easy enough work-around, or we have some very 'special' members here. So which is it?

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Gotta love LA LOL
To be fair, I would always set my 335i to its stock tune and my Cobra, would always put the stock H-pipe. Once every 2 years but meh, stuff ive always done.

At least I wont have any worries with the Explorer running the ZFG tune anytime soon or my ATS. One good thing about new/semi-new cars

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
I haven't really looked into this yet, but how can they tell the tune isn't part of a package with a CARB EO #?

I'm not sure about this either. My Whipple did/does have a CARB number but I have a custom SCT tune from AED. Does this make me out of compliance because it wasn't a California CARB approved tune?

Fun times. I smogged in October 2020 and passed with flying colors. I won't have to till October 2022. It'll be interesting to see where that goes.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I'm not sure about this either. My Whipple did/does have a CARB number but I have a custom SCT tune from AED. Does this make me out of compliance because it wasn't a California CARB approved tune?

Fun times. I smogged in October 2020 and passed with flying colors. I won't have to till October 2022. It'll be interesting to see where that goes.

Scary times ahead of us.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
You can live in a tent on the sidewalk, piss and shit on the street like a dog, shoot up heroin in a kiddie playground, rape and steal at will with no consequences..... However if you tune your car, then you are public enemy #1. Did you all know Larry Elder is running for governor? This would be a gift from god to you in CA if he wins.

PREACH!!!

BTW.. Larry Elder is awesome.. i can only hope he gets elected.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Anything that is NOT a stock tune must have a CARB EO stick affixed to the car indicating its CARB legal. This especially goes for any performance parts. If its a kit, it should have a number that when referenced lists all parts in the kit and tune number.

It should come as no surprise that a CARB certified ECU has the capacity for this. I called it a few years ago here and got shit load of flak for it.

"They cant tell if a cars been tuned by just plugging in to the OBD port!! Hurr DUrr"!!

Well, here you go. If you dont think CA mandated this capability for ANY car that a manufacturer wanted to sell new in CA, then youve been living under a rock. Considering how most cars sold new are 50 state compliant, that means that MOST cars are capable of having this detected.

This type of shittery is why I bought a classic muscle car to play with and go fast. **** em.

dunndeal

Established Member
Five years ago I was part of a road cruise with a group of Sacramento Mustang guys. I talked with one guy who said his car pulled 835 on the dyno. I asked him how it passed smog, he cracked a sly grin and said I swap engines every two years for the test.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Here is hoping “the big one” does us all a favor sooner rather than later.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Stangra

Established Member
If you buy new and live in ca you have 7yrs no smog. Buying used will require BI annual smog.
That's my understanding too... wonder why my 2014 renewal didn't require smog this year???

Users who are viewing this thread