California Special rear spoiler ?

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Has anyone removed their factory spoiler off a gt/cs or boss Laguna stang? Is it a bolt off kind of thing or is it glued/adhered on like the regular gt? I realize there are 8 holes once removed. Ford claims that spoiler produces 90 pounds of downforce @ 130-140 mph. I would like to be able to pop it off when needed without mess/damage or swapping trunk lids. Anyone?

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
What sucks is us CS guys can't change the spoiler out unless we fill the extra holes or a new lid.

No kidding. I may pull it and then just make some thin rubber templates for the pedestals in replace of the adhesive foam crap. That way I can flip it off and just throw in some 1/4 inch plastic push pins/plugs when I want.

Jabooh1

Established Member
It has 8 bolts and 1/4" thick hard as hell to remove double sided adhesive.

The adhesive was a pain from when I went to the Boss Plus wing as the pedestals are different shape and I had to trim it down.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
It has 8 bolts and 1/4" thick hard as hell to remove double sided adhesive.

The adhesive was a pain from when I went to the Boss Plus wing as the pedestals are different shape and I had to trim it down.

Ahhh... I guess I may start looking into wrecked (in the front) Oxford white no spoiler truck lid. The 900 carbon job from AM is a little much. ;)

2003mach1

Established Member
Yeah it has all the bolt holes and a hole about the size of a quarter for a camera wiring harness under one of the left pedestals.
The best price i've found for a nice used trunk lid around here is $570.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Yeah it has all the bolt holes and a hole about the size of a quarter for a camera wiring harness under one of the left pedestals.
The best price i've found for a nice used trunk lid around here is $570.

Ouch. Thank god I do not have navigation or backup cam. 570 is steep. I could probably have body shop permanently remove wing, fill holes, and repaint for that.

Jabooh1

Established Member
When I was looking at the Steeda wing (which only has two posts) I saw a few pics of people that painted plastic plugs for the bolt holes. If you clean the glue, and double sided tape off, then paint to match plugs it may look good since you wanted to go back and forth.

If it was a permanent removal plugs would be great. But since you want to swap it on and off I would put them under the functional category and be ok with it.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
You know, I went back and examined the article and it stated the Laguna Seca front splitter (larger than standard boss/gt-cs) combined with the rear spoiler created 90 pounds of downforce at 140 mph. I bet that huge front splitter (LS) is accounting for the majority of the drag. Anyone have a wind tunnel? Lol.

rics73

Established Member
I'm going spoiler delete. Just purchased a new deck lid from Tasca with no spoiler holes and no sat. antenna hole. Dropped it off last week to my body guy to have the rear emblem bump removed and smoothed. Ill have a PW decklid with a Gt500 spoiler and custom trunk badge for sale in the next few months to recoup some of the cost. I love the spoiler delete look so much in not turning back....

Users who are viewing this thread