California Motorcycle Q

asinatra

Established Member
California Motorcycle Q

Background:
I am 20, have my M1 permit, completed & passed the MSF class this past weekend. I bought the bike new and still have paper plates.

Questions:
As i am waiting for my paper work from MSF to show up for me to actually obtain my license, what penalties would i be facing if i were pulled over on the freeway or i was out at night.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
edited.

I gotta stop posting in here since A) I'm not a LEO. & B) my working knowledge of the law could be trumped by most 3rd grade students.

later,
tbgt

Last edited:

asinatra

Established Member
mswaim, if you could chime in here it would be greatly apreciated.

And also what are the laws about red-lights and motorcycles? Sitting at a red-light for 3-4 light cycles, until a cager shows up kinda blows.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I have to admit, I'm not really sure what the consequences would be in the situations you describe, however my common sense tells me the penalty would be the same as it would be if you had not completed the class, since in the eyes of the law nothing has changed. Bottom line is get your license as quickly as you can, don't risk getting stopped and cited for not having the proper endorsement. If you passed the class, I'm surprised they don't issue the required documents on the spot.

BTW - Did you take the class offered at Castle?

asinatra

Established Member
I received a business card saying i passed the class. But they said the official documents that i take to the DMV to get the license will show up in 5-10 working days.

My class was at the Visalia Airport, i guess the Fresno (where i reside) range got shut down because it was "unsafe" because of certain obstacles.

Do you have any information on red-lights in my post above ?

Thanks again!

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I'm not aware of any waivers for bikers, the ground loops are supposed to be sensitive enough to react to a motorcycle. Maybe you should carry some bricks?? Just kidding. Let me do some research and get back to you.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
mswaim said:
I'm not aware of any waivers for bikers, the ground loops are supposed to be sensitive enough to react to a motorcycle. Maybe you should carry some bricks?? Just kidding. Let me do some research and get back to you.

hahaha...

Do an Endo when you come up to the loop. That'll work..

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
If you haven't done so already, get your permit and wait for the MSF paperwork to arrive to finish up your license. That's what I did many years ago in So Cal.
My roommate took her MSF course in October and they gave her everything she needed on the spot. Went right to Tx DMV and got her license. Good luck.

Mustanger

Established Member
Only a few redlights may not trip in Calif. for bikes. Most do. If you wait until 3 cycles have passed & you still have no green it is legal to proceed when safe. That is the info I received from both DMV & a city officer. Just center your bike in the loops sensitive area which is most likely the greasy center of the lane...not the tire tread area where you are supposed to ride. Be careful.

Users who are viewing this thread