calculation for fuel injector limit with e85?

SSeatr

Established Member
i was told id be good above 800whp, but i would like to know a little more then just a guy who knows a guy who knew a guys sisters husbands nephews aunt's brother in law who made over 800whp...if you know what i mean haha

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
ill say about 750HP on E85, on my setup im at 90% at 736HP

GodStang

Established Member
vdrsnk04 has over 800rwhp on a loaded dyno and FRPP 80lb injectors and E85 and Twinscrew. 825-850 CAN be done but would be putting the injectors to the max. I am not comfortable with that so I sold my 80s and are going with a bigger injector.

Last edited:

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
so if I want 800+ I really to get a low impedance driver, some 96# or bigger injectors or a standalone and low impedance injectors. my procharger is going to ****ing love e85, and I can turn up the boost so 800 will be nothing if I can figure out the injectors I need

GodStang

Established Member
so if I want 800+ I really to get a low impedance driver, some 96# or bigger injectors or a standalone and low impedance injectors. my procharger is going to ****ing love e85, and I can turn up the boost so 800 will be nothing if I can figure out the injectors I need

Why not use high impedance ID1000 (95lb), Bosch 105lbs, 120lbs, ID1600, or ID2000? Pretty sure any of those can do you well if you have a good tuner.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Why not use high impedance ID1000 (95lb), Bosch 105lbs, 120lbs, ID1600, or ID2000? Pretty sure any of those can do you well if you have a good tuner.

because high impedance injectors make for worse drivibility and tuning- on or off is how they essentially work- with low impedance you can tune them for stock like drivibility and more power potential/better throttle response.

GodStang

Established Member
because high impedance injectors make for worse drivibility and tuning- on or off is how they essentially work- with low impedance you can tune them for stock like drivibility and more power potential/better throttle response.

Not true. All the injectors I have listed people have gotten stock drivibilty out of with massive HP. Talk to some of the ID2000 guys. The injectors drive stock and support unreal power.

Last edited:

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Not true. All the injectors I have listed people have gotten stock drivibilty out of with massive HP. Talk to some of the ID2000 guys. The injectors drive stock and support unreal power.

still gotta politely disagree with you on that- and for the record, I'm sure some of the larger high impedance injectors are "fine" but I will stand by my story that low is much better

GodStang

Established Member
still gotta politely disagree with you on that- and for the record, I'm sure some of the larger high impedance injectors are "fine" but I will stand by my story that low is much better

Sorry did not mean high was better than low. All I was trying to say is for the power you will make with your car there are plenty of high impedance injectors out there that will give you stock drivabilty and deliver the fuel you need. Meaning it is not 80lb injectors or low impedance. There are other options. If you and your tuner feel best with low impedance then by all means that is what you need to go with.

04cobrawhine

Established Member
all the tuners ive talked to said they hate tuning low imped with a driver because they are a pain in the A$$. they said they can get the same results with high imped and have a much easier time doing it. im not an exprert, but thats what everyone ive talked to said.

Kwik03DSG

Established Member

I have to disagree with that. My shop owner's car (KB 2.8 LC mammoth @ 25psi and E85) uses ID1000 injectors, Jon Lund tuned, idles no differently than it did with the FRPP 80's. No "worse drivability" seen there.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Is there a chart?

OK so is there in fact a chart somewhere that has a power level and a displacement consideration for E85 usage?

I am thinking of switching primarily for detonation resistance in an endurance type of setting, but with significantly less than 700 horsepower. Probably closer to 600 or even a little less.

Hot engines increase the detonation sensitivity of an engine.

I have been unsuccessful so far searching for the E85 power limit for 60# injectors.

Do any of you guys have a link to that info or happen to know?
I do already know I will need to do different pumps.

GodStang

Established Member
OK so is there in fact a chart somewhere that has a power level and a displacement consideration for E85 usage?

I am thinking of switching primarily for detonation resistance in an endurance type of setting, but with significantly less than 700 horsepower. Probably closer to 600 or even a little less.

I have been unsuccessful so far searching for the E85 power limit for 60# injectors.

No I have done a lot of research on that and well there is none. A lot depends on the other components in your fuel system. Like I said Kurgan has tuned a few cars one being vdrsnk04 that has made more than 800rwhp on E85 and twinscrew. Now I have also talked to tuners that said 750 is max... how is that possible if 800rwhp HAS BEEN DONE. I talked to Fore and asked him what injectors and he said he was unsure of that info for the fact that people are doing things with smaller injectors that people said previous was impossible. You need to talk to your tuner and get and idea of what rwhp you look to make and then decide on injector.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
No I have done a lot of research on that and well there is none. A lot depends on the other components in your fuel system. Like I said Kurgan has tuned a few cars one being vdrsnk04 that has made more than 800rwhp on E85 and twinscrew. Now I have also talked to tuners that said 750 is max... how is that possible if 800rwhp HAS BEEN DONE. I talked to Fore and asked him what injectors and he said he was unsure of that info for the fact that people are doing things with smaller injectors that people said previous was impossible. You need to talk to your tuner and get and idea of what rwhp you look to make and then decide on injector.

Thanks Josh, I was kind expecting that to be the case.
I'm thinking pumps plus a 3.25 pulley would be about 560-580, with my existing 60s, but I need to research it a good bit more.

Kwik03DSG

Established Member

**Anyone who is more knowledgable in regards to how E85 works in an IC engine please feel free to correct me; all I can do is apply what I've learned in school. Im an undergrad cell biology major, chem minor.**

That being said, injector charts, I do not know of. However, a bigger injector is almost surely needed, just because of the extra fuel needed to run E85.

One gallon of E10 gasoline contains roughly 112,000 BTU's of energy.

1 U.S GAL of E85 contains roughly 81,800 BTU's of energy.

81,800/112,000 = roughly 73% energy capacity of E10.

Conversely, you need 27% more injector size (call it 30%) to support roughly* the same amount of power than what you had on gasoline, while having the same duty cycle as the old injector.

*(roughly because E85 allows several degrees of timing to be added to the tune, that alone adds some HP. If you were trying to merely attain the same power but on E85, the % would be less)

So theoretically, 63lb injectors x 27% more flow rating = 80lb injectors

63 x .27 = 17.01 + 63 = 80.01.

You'll more than likely need 80's.

Last edited:

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
Thanks, good stuff.

Because of info in this thread-> http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ystem-upgrade-options-what-you-need-know.html

I was thinking 60s might manage high 500s on E85.
I may just have to break down and spend some money on pumps and try it out.

Obviously doing careful duty cycle testing as I go.

Thanks for posting that link. I was going to add a certain part to what I posted but I wasnt sure if alot of tuners do it, but as was noted in there, 'maxing injectors and increasing the base fuel pressure to make the injector “act” like a bigger one' is a way to circumvent having to buy bigger injectors. But i dont think you can up the FP enough to flow 30% more. Which as a result would still require you to shell out money on some bigger ones.

Users who are viewing this thread