CAI Options

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I currently have a JLT RAI. I was dicking around with the car today and pulled it off to clean the filter, etc. I think I want something with better fit and finish. Do we have any other options?

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
JLT CAI if you upgrade. I think it looks the best. Very slick and clean looking and gives decent power. Other then that I wouldn't change it for anything else.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I don't want the filter in the fender well, so that's out. The fitment on the JLT RAI is not very good, so I was hoping to get away from that. The PVC tube is pretty beat up after a few years. I suppose I could just replace that.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
Well that is going to be your only "upgrade". Mine doesn't fit the greatest either and I have had it in for about 6 months now and the filter is all beat up. As for the PVC tube I couldn't use my stock one I had to go to auto zone and get another one off a different car for it to fit right :thumbsup: You run the heat shield?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I wasn't thinking when I typed that. By PVC tube, I meant the 4" diameter tube that comes with the JLT, not the little black PVC hose. Whoops.

Yes, I do run the heat shield. Not really sure if it helps at all though.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Either go back to the stock plastic cold air intake with a drop in K&N, Desencharger, or C&L. Other then that I'd just stick with the JLT.

Predatorbird

Established Member
I'd stick with what you have. If the tube is looking rough, repaint it. The only thing I don't like about mine is the rubber elbow connecting to the TB rubs the hoodliner and looks like crap. I'm not into engine dress up so I really don't care too much.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I'll probably just keep it. I guess we still have the same limited options we had years ago. Perhaps I'll email JLT and see if I can get a new tube for a reasonable price. If not, I'll rehab what I have.

cobrasvtcoupe25

Established Member
Brett,

JLT is currently in the works in making a JLT Carbon Fiber RAI that should fit very well. I had a JLT RAI on my 99 cobra for a long time and got tired of it rubbing on my coil covers so I switched to an 01 cobra tube with the JLT 9" filter. It has a pretty clean look w/o losing any hp.

Detail023.jpg

-Mike

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I'd stick with what you have. If the tube is looking rough, repaint it. The only thing I don't like about mine is the rubber elbow connecting to the TB rubs the hoodliner and looks like crap. I'm not into engine dress up so I really don't care too much.

The elbow on my CAI rubbed on my hoodliner too, even before I added the 3/8" spacer. I trimmed off the bottom of the elbow (and some on the sides) on the TB end to make it angle down a bit. If I didn't have the spacer, I don't think it would rub (or at least not nearly as much).

Predatorbird

Established Member
The elbow on my CAI rubbed on my hoodliner too, even before I added the 3/8" spacer. I trimmed off the bottom of the elbow (and some on the sides) on the TB end to make it angle down a bit. If I didn't have the spacer, I don't think it would rub (or at least not nearly as much).

I just put on a 3/8'' spacer last week so it rubs even more now.

Users who are viewing this thread