CAI and tune..worth the money?

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Hey guys. My wife has a 03 Mach that has a Xpipe and a catback. It's never been tuned or get driven hard at all. I'm not sure if I'm spoiled by my 12 GT or what, but the Mach feels lazy to me and the throttle response is crap. I've never really messed with her car much or looked into it what mods were worth doing because she didn't want me messing with it anymore. lol.

In short, I'm trying to find out if adding a CAI and a tune is worth the money.

dfresh2

Established Member
yes

You will get more H.p. and more response by adding a CAI and a tune for sure. The parameters will change within the tune and any mods you may have you will only benefit from! :)

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
You will get more H.p. and more response by adding a CAI and a tune for sure. The parameters will change within the tune and any mods you may have you will only benefit from! :)

I realize that, but is it enough difference to warrant the cost?

Get gears instead IMHO!

No, the 3.55's work just fine. This is my wife's cruiser, not a race car. lol.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Jesus, the guy asks about a tune and CAI and people start recommending gears, drag radials and exhaust. Just answer his question...

A CAI, regardless of type, will add little to no power; a K&N filter is all that's needed. The least expensive tune is one that uses a chip because it's a lot cheaper than a hand held tuner like an Xcal. So, see if someone will send you a "tuned" chip as that will save you a couple hundered dollars.

03MachAB

Established Member
I'm trying to figure out the same thing. With tax returns coming I'd rather not put all of it into savings and bs and take a few hundred and do something to the Mach. She's completely stock and I'm right there with the op. wondering if the tune would liven her up a little...and most will say gears but once ya have gears you'd need the tune for the sped cal

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Jesus, the guy asks about a tune and CAI and people start recommending gears, drag radials and exhaust. Just answer his question...

A CAI, regardless of type, will add little to no power; a K&N filter is all that's needed. The least expensive tune is one that uses a chip because it's a lot cheaper than a hand held tuner like an Xcal. So, see if someone will send you a "tuned" chip as that will save you a couple hundered dollars.

Thank you. I didn't realize I was asking such a difficult question. lol.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Tune - Yes
Intake - No

The retards really came out of the woodwork on this one to make suggestions. :dw: As far as the throttle response feeling I've always personally thought aftermarket throttle bodies helped considerably with throttle response. Just some food for thought really, not going to gain you 20 horsepower but they always felt a bit "crisper" to me when I got on it.

Beautiful 2012 btw :beer:

Last edited:

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Its all about how much money you want to spend. Personally I'll take my 04 Mach 1 over any cookie cutter GT you see everywhere.

Good lord.You could have just kept that comment to youself. People who need to make a personal statement with having an exclusive model over another car that is clearly superior in everyway need to get their priorities in order. I care about performance, not getting attention from other people.

Tune - Yes
Intake - No

The retards really came out of the woodwork on this one to make suggestions. :dw: As far as the throttle response feeling I've always personally thought aftermarket throttle bodies helped considerably with throttle response. Just some food for thought really, not going to gain you 20 horsepower but they always felt a bit "crisper" to me when I got on it.

Beautiful 2012 btw :beer:

I agree. I didn't realize that asking such a simple question would be so difficult to get a straight informitive answer.

Thank you for your input. I'm glad to see you get my point. I'll look into the throttle body. It definetely feels lazy in regards to throttle response.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
GThank you for your input. I'm glad to see you get my point. I'll look into the throttle body. It definetely feels lazy in regards to throttle response.

The only place where at TB gives the feel of increased throttle response is when coming off idle, the drive like stock everywhere else. Fact: aftermarket TBs will add no power to any n/a or "blow-thru" forced induction combos.

Last edited:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Just tell your wife that deleting the AC is the best possible way to make the car a better performer, that will get her going good :banana:

Really I think for your situation a tune will be the only true benefit, they typically help in the "pep" of the car, which I'm sure you already know. I don't think you'll be disappointed with a chip/handheld tuner, The only true benefit of the handheld over the chip for you, in this case, would be that you could pull any codes the car may throw in the future with it, it's just convenient.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Thread cleaned up!

Stick to the OP's original question or infractions will be issued!

Kthxbye

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
chips are not a ton cheaper, keep in mind if you do a chip. you will have to remove them computer, open up the cover and use steel wool to clean the coating off the contacts. you have to be careful not to scrub to far as the contacts are thin. It is a lot easier using a handheld. unless you want to be able to have a race gas tune/nos tune/ pump gas tune, thats when a chip and a switch is nice

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
IMHO dyno tune, I had got my basically stock Mach 1 and the tuner had issues with it leaning out, but that was because the car was a auto... Money well spent

Users who are viewing this thread