Cage it or Sale it? Tough decision :/

ZeroSVT

Established Member
Gents,

I'm struggling with what my next step is with my 03.

In order to run it at the track (hoping for 9.0's) i'm going to need a minimum of a 6point with roof rails.

My struggle is, if I install a cage, how bad will it hurt the value of the car? Is it better I just sell it now and build a non Terminator street/strip car?

Thoughts?

-Matt

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Gents,

I'm struggling with what my next step is with my 03.

In order to run it at the track (hoping for 9.0's) i'm going to need a minimum of a 6point with roof rails.

My struggle is, if I install a cage, how bad will it hurt the value of the car? Is it better I just Sell it now and build a non Terminator street/strip car?

Thoughts?

-Matt

Fixed

03' White Snake

Established Member
I fought with myself for years about putting a cage in the car. I never wanted too. I finally got sick of getting the boot every time at the track, so I put in the MM 6 pt. I also didn't want to hurt resale value, but I really never plan on selling the car. It can always be taken out.

With the door bars swung out, its no big deal getting in and out of the car. The backseat is useless and unsafe to put a passenger in there with the harness bar going across right in front of them. Not that I ever have passengers in the back.

I say cage it and don't look back. :beer:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Sell it and get a LX notch. You put a cage in there you hurt the value of the car it won't be good for anything but drag racing. Get a car you can mod without guilt

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
Im think about this also, want to be safe at track but is street car with 7000 miles.tough decision.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I think it would hurt the value, if it was me I would buy a dedicated track car. Then you can make it as safe as possible without hurting the value because it's a track car. I would not buy a street car with a cage because the back seats become useless and I want my kids to ride with me. With that said it's your car and you should do what fits your plan.

ZeroSVT

Established Member
I'm leaning with everyone else. Might be time to part with it :( Which sucks, but, I really want a well built street/strip car.

Thanks all for the input!

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Are you going to legit race it? You can always do single runs at the track to get a time slip.

Also dont cage a street car unless you and passengers will wear a helmet every time. Death sentence if you get in a wreck with a cage and without a helmet.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
You will only hurt the value to the people on here that go "AUTOS ARE FOR DEM LOSERS, MY MOM DRIVES AN AUTO" and go on and on about how they never made an auto Cobra. But these are the same people that argue about spending 22k on a nice Cobra because their cousins sisters brothers former roommate got a 140k mile zinc yellow for 12k with a blown motor.

Go on yellowbullet facebook and look at REAL drag cars and the prices they go for and how quickly they move. When I finish mine I will probably sell it only because I'm buying a new home. I'm expecting ~1300-1400rwhp through my TH-400 and will be caged and have drag suspension, motor plates and twins in the grill. I expect to sell for 30-35k to someone who wants a built right race car. If I kept the 6 speed and no cage people here would argue with me over asking above 25k.

You aren't losing value to anyone who actually understands what they are buying. Too many people throw together "1krwhp" cars and they break/run 12's because they have no clue what they are doing and then dump them for dirt because they are basket cases. I can't even being to name how many people post on facebook group about making 1krwhp and haven't spent a dime on safety, chassis, transmission, rear end. They just grab fuel and a "precision turbo" (because I guess that's all Cobra owners think works) and crank it to make 1krwhp on a dyno.

94slowbra1

Established Member
build it for what YOU want it to be, not for resale or anyone else. if you are going to track it and dont put people/kids in the back the cage it. personally im not going t o cage mine as ill probably stay around my current hp (616) and my two kids love riding in it. plus it hasnt seen a track yet and if it does it will only be a couple times.

ZeroSVT

Established Member
You will only hurt the value to the people on here that go "AUTOS ARE FOR DEM LOSERS, MY MOM DRIVES AN AUTO" and go on and on about how they never made an auto Cobra. But these are the same people that argue about spending 22k on a nice Cobra because their cousins sisters brothers former roommate got a 140k mile zinc yellow for 12k with a blown motor.

Go on yellowbullet facebook and look at REAL drag cars and the prices they go for and how quickly they move. When I finish mine I will probably sell it only because I'm buying a new home. I'm expecting ~1300-1400rwhp through my TH-400 and will be caged and have drag suspension, motor plates and twins in the grill. I expect to sell for 30-35k to someone who wants a built right race car. If I kept the 6 speed and no cage people here would argue with me over asking above 25k.

You aren't losing value to anyone who actually understands what they are buying. Too many people throw together "1krwhp" cars and they break/run 12's because they have no clue what they are doing and then dump them for dirt because they are basket cases. I can't even being to name how many people post on facebook group about making 1krwhp and haven't spent a dime on safety, chassis, transmission, rear end. They just grab fuel and a "precision turbo" (because I guess that's all Cobra owners think works) and crank it to make 1krwhp on a dyno.

Thanks for the input. You hit the head on the nail and have pushed me in the right direction.

Who build your TH400?

I see your in lawrence, check out KCStangz on facebook.

-Matt

Last edited:

I'D WIN

Established Member

Well said and fully agreed. I paid $30k for an '04, showroom condition and with mild mods last year and people would lose their mind.

Go for it and do what makes you happy! Even if you decide to sell it, hold firm on your price because the right person will come along and pick it right up.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
My TH-400 is a JW Mega. They don't make them anymore but it's basically billet everything down to the tail housing and rated for 2500.

s351

Established Member
Well I agree to an extent to what nightmare sad. It won't lose value too the right buyer, it will lose buyer demographic. You lose everyone looking for a clean cobra, to someone looking strictly for a drag car. It's just a harder sell, that usually takes longer. If you have a built car with out a cage and auto, it will get more action than one with a cage and auto.

I would never cage a car I drive on the street.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Well I agree to an extent to what nightmare sad. It won't lose value too the right buyer, it will lose buyer demographic. You lose everyone looking for a clean cobra, to someone looking strictly for a drag car. It's just a harder sell, that usually takes longer. If you have a built car with out a cage and auto, it will get more action than one with a cage and auto.

I would never cage a car I drive on the street.
Only if you are willing to sell for cheap would it go faster. The people that don't want a drag car/cage are not the ones with the money 9 out of 10 times. Typically people who want a Cobra and are against autos/cages/drag suspension or basically anything that actually makes the car fast are the same people who don't have the cash to drop and need to be financed. It is incredibly hard to get financed on a Cobra and almost impossible to get over loan value (which is incredibly low). This means that the people that want a "non-drag" car have very little buying power. Those with enough cash to pay for a Cobra that is modded are two different people. One is someone who could buy the Cobra but would probably buy a vette/viper before a modded Cobra (not always but the bulk do this). The other group is people who want to go fast. They don't care about anything else but racing. A properly built Cobra will sell instantly if you built it right, run some good times, and don't expect a million bucks. If you have already modded a Cobra to the point where you want over 25k but it isn't actually a drag/open track car you will basically have to part it out, wait for the rare unicorn buyer, or do like most guys and dump it for dirt because everyone hear tells them it's worth 14k tops (or polish the exhaust and clean the car with a toothbrush because for some reason people think that adds value).

Users who are viewing this thread