CA Smog questions - 04 Cobra

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
If you load the base tune back, put it back to stock in the tune, it will remove the fingerprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill have to get some more info,im running a whipple 2.9, 123 cj maf, with a return style fuel system, ID10000 injectors, 373 gears.

Being a 2008 not sure how well the stock tune will run to get to the smog shop. I have some time since its reg is good till October.

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
I went through that last year, never again! My suggestion would be to title and license it out of state. That’s what I did, if you have family or a friend use their address. It worked for me, but now I’m moving out of state and that is the best solution.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I went through that last year, never again! My suggestion would be to title and license it out of state. That’s what I did, if you have family or a friend use their address. It worked for me, but now I’m moving out of state and that is the best solution.

Something i will have to look at. But there is a downside to that too. They are cracking down on out of state plates unless you work/live in reasonable distance to the border. Maybe look into some upper norcal counties that dont smog.

decipha

Established Member
Do not run your car without a tune if you dont have the stock injectors and maf on it.

SCT changes the first unused byte of the vid strategy code making the calibration automatically set a referee as soon as they plug in to smog.

California emissions currently sets the federal emissions standard.

Any vehicle operated on public roads in the united states must comply with all emissions requirements for all 50 states.

Thus whichever state has the strictest emissions standard becomes the federal standard that all 50 states and territories must comply with.

There is no such thing as 49 state legal. If it doesn't meet californias emissions standards then it doesnt meet federal standards.

Only emissions approved tunes are allowed. Its simple enough, keep cats on it and all emissions related equipment.

There is absolutely no reason why any street car can't comply with emissions. I've tuned 1,000+ rwhp cars that still have all emissions components and pass a visual, obd-2 and gas test no problem.

Keep in mind 800+rwhp on a true street car is useless. You cant use that power on the street with any kind of practical daily driving street tires.

You get up to triple digit speeds and floor it and all you do is start slowing down with a huge cloud of smoke billowing from the rear tires. Its absolutely useless.

We all want to go fast but there will always be someone faster. Keep your goals realistic and you'll be much happier in life and wont have emissions issues.

Most states give you 90 days or less to transfer plates when moving. I worked in texas for 6 months and had to deal with louisiana plates on my marauder.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Do not run your car without a tune if you dont have the stock injectors and maf on it.

SCT changes the first unused byte of the vid strategy code making the calibration automatically set a referee as soon as they plug in to smog.

Any vehicle operated on public roads in the united states must comply with all emissions requirements for all 50 states.

Thus whichever state has the strictest emissions standard becomes the federal standard that all 50 states and territories must comply with.

There is no such thing as 49 state legal. If it doesn't meet californias emissions standards then it doesnt meet federal standards.

Only emissions approved tunes are allowed. Its simple enough, keep cats on it and all emissions related equipment.

There is absolutely no reason why any street car can't comply with emissions. I've tuned 1,000+ rwhp cars that still have all emissions components and pass a visual, obd-2 and gas test no problem.

Keep in mind 800+rwhp on a true street car is useless. You cant use that power on the street with any kind of practical daily driving street tires.

You get up to triple digit speeds and floor it and all you do is start slowing down with a huge cloud of smoke billowing from the rear tires. Its absolutely useless.

We all want to go fast but there will always be someone faster. Keep your goals realistic and you'll be much happier in life and wont have emissions issues.

Most states give you 90 days or less to transfer plates when moving. I worked in texas for 6 months and had to deal with louisiana plates on my marauder.

Thanks for the info, what tuning software/hardware does not change the vid, to keep from getting flagged for a ref? I have passed smogged before no problem with a tune and all emissions turned on in the tune.

But since it seems Ca is going hard on aftermarket tunes even if they still meet the emissions. Looking for options that will still work.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
There is absolutely no reason why any street car can't comply with emissions. I've tuned 1,000+ rwhp cars that still have all emissions components and pass a visual, obd-2 and gas test no problemon my marauder.

Here’s a tuning question for you that we couldn’t sort out in time.

All monitors on my tune were setting Ready except for EGR and catalyst, both not complete. From my understanding, the EGR needs to set ready/fail before it will even run the catalyst monitor.

Couldn’t pin it down, but my thinking was the SCT BA2600 was moving the parameters that were required before the EGR monitor cycle would run. Does that seem like it could be the case?

Long story short there’s currently a Whipple and a pile of fuel and exhaust parts on the garage floor right now o_O

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Here’s a tuning question for you that we couldn’t sort out in time.

All monitors on my tune were setting Ready except for EGR and catalyst, both not complete. From my understanding, the EGR needs to set ready/fail before it will even run the catalyst monitor.

Couldn’t pin it down, but my thinking was the SCT BA2600 was moving the parameters that were required before the EGR monitor cycle would run. Does that seem like it could be the case?

Long story short there’s currently a Whipple and a pile of fuel and exhaust parts on the garage floor right now o_O
If its SCT check the barometer check setting. I think that's what it is at least. The "base" SCT changes this so it doesn't work. I had the same issue. I put them back to stock and the EGR set with my BA3000.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
If its SCT check the barometer check setting. I think that's what it is at least. The "base" SCT changes this so it doesn't work. I had the same issue. I put them back to stock and the EGR set with my BA3000.

Is the barometer check in the tune somewhere or MAF transfer tables?

Using an Xcal4 custom tune and their MAF.

big dad

Established Member

You and I must be cut from the same cloth my brother, I've been saying this for years. I watch these guys on YouTube with their over powered cars put on a smoke show and just shake my head at the utter point of all that power going to waste.
In my experience 500 to 550 rwhp is right on the edge on a street driven car. That's where I'm at and when or if I hit the loud pedal I prepare myself to be ahead of the car before I do it because if you don't the car will pass you very quickly, then you're along for the ride, and it usually doesn't end well.

And yes, no matter how fast you are there's always someone faster, it's a viscous cycle. In a nutshell... spinnin ain't winnin.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I think what people consider enough on the street is relative. I'm a bit over 600 now and have a blast with it. Do I need to think about it before I stomp the go pedal? Yup. Do I have any less fun because of that? Nope. But then my car isn't a spin fest. Hell, I even had fun in my old car that was around the 700 mark.

And I know there are others faster than me. I hang out a couple of them pretty regularly.

decipha

Established Member
It is illegal to run an aftermarket tune on a production vehicle on public roads. No such thing as an emissions approved aftermarket tune. The only hardware that doesn't change the vid is the plug in chip type since you keep the stock tune such as the moates quarterhorse which is a diagnostics device for troubleshooting.

if monitors aren't setting that means someone has modified them. Simply updating the maf transfer will not disable or prevent any monitors from setting.

I believe the barometer check they are referring to is the minimum BP scalar. It is the minimum inferred baro pressure the computer can calculate.

600-700 is still manageable on the street hence my 800hp reference. There is a significant difference between a 700hp vehicle and an 800hp vehicle. In a 700hp vehicle you slam the brakes before an accident. In an 800hp vehicle you've already totaled the car before you could even take your foot off the throttle.

decipha

Established Member
It is illegal to run an aftermarket tune on a production vehicle on public roads. No such thing as an emissions approved aftermarket tune. The only hardware that doesn't change the vid is the plug in chip type since you keep the stock tune such as the moates quarterhorse which is a diagnostics device for troubleshooting.

if monitors aren't setting that means someone has modified them. Simply updating the maf transfer will not disable or prevent any monitors from setting.

I believe the barometer check they are referring to is the minimum BP scalar. It is the minimum inferred baro pressure the computer can calculate.

600-700 is still manageable on the street hence my 800hp reference. There is a significant difference between a 700hp vehicle and an 800hp vehicle. In a 700hp vehicle you slam the brakes before an accident. In an 800hp vehicle you've already totaled the car before you could even take your foot off the throttle.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
doesnt Whipple have carb approved tunes? vortec as well? and Edelbrock

black 10th vert

Established Member
I went through this madness many years ago here in MA, which is quite similar to CA from what I understand. My car has a Whipple, larger injectors, MAF, and other supporting mods, but EGR, CATs, etc. are all intact. I took it for its annual inspection and got flagged to go to something called the MAC center. Apparently it’s a state run referee type thing. After several trips there, I couldn’t get cleared due to the aftermarket tune which was done by Amazon. Since I don’t drive the car a ton, I just scraped the sticker off and drive it when I want. I was told that Pete from NE dyno has a way to tune it with all the mods and have it pass MA emission testing, but I’ve never had the time to trailer it several hours away to deal with that, plus having to get an SCT since my tune is currently on a Diablo tuner (which Pete doesn’t tune with). At this point it’s been probably 6-7 years and I’m moving to GA to a county with no emission testing, so I’ll probably not bother to mess with it. Car runs and drives perfectly other than a pprv stumble in certain conditions so I’d rather not mess with it until I address that at some point. It pisses me off because it’s a show car that just hit 17k miles (so barely driven) and it would otherwise pass tailpipe sniffer, and has all emission controls intact, but I can’t legally get a sticker here, while tons of ACTUAL gross polluters are on the roads everyday!

HPLouis

Established Member
No, the 2.3L and 2.9L Whipple are CARB approved for stock tune only.

I talked to Kenne Bell and it’s basically the same scenario.

Wait a second.....you can just bolt those blowers on and drive it safely with no tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
No, the 2.3L and 2.9L Whipple are CARB approved for stock tune only.

I talked to Kenne Bell and it’s basically the same scenario.

the car will run on a stock tune??

every time i have to smog my car i put my stock intake and tune back in. if i ever have to go beyond that it will be time to sell the car and just get a vette or something. i considered a blower upgrade but im not interested in with all this hassle.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
the car will run on a stock tune??

every time i have to smog my car i put my stock intake and tune back in. if i ever have to go beyond that it will be time to sell the car and just get a vette or something. i considered a blower upgrade but im not interested in with all this hassle.
As long as the stock MAF and injectors are used. Doesn't mean it'll run right or at peak performance though. I think when I was doing some looking the original 2.3 came pullied for 13 or 14psi. I think in my manual it said something about running the stock stuff with the Whipple.

Users who are viewing this thread