• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

CA legal midpipe - stock H vs. magnaflow catted x and HPDE

Discussion in 'Exhaust' started by srdigital, Jun 11, 2019.

1. srdigital

srdigital New Member Established Member

So, CA emissions laws are garbage, and I'd also like to limit the things I have to do to the car to prep it in between daily driving and driving events. That being said, I've heard only anecdotally that the stock cats might not stand up to HPDEs. I haven't been able to find anything in the way of direct observation, though.

my question would be if the stock cats can hold up to multiple driving events, or if perhaps the magnaflow CA legal catted X would be acceptable? purpose being to be legal on the street and not have to swap to an O/R or high-flow cats just for track duty.
    link: MagnaFlow Direct-Fit Catalytic Converters 441114

I like the magnaflow as it's 2.5" and stainless and has an x instead of an H, too.

thanks for any input

2. nxhappy

nxhappy Vette Killer Established Member

usually it's boost/high heat/high HP that will blow the cats. Stock to mild HP should be no problem. IMO just go catless...and then in 2 years swap back to stock for the test...

me32 likes this.
  3. cartec

cartec Member Established Member

You are correct that you can get high performance, free flowing and low emissions exhaust system that is legal in California. I have a Magnaflow system on my 99 Cobra, and it passed with flying colors which included extremely low emission measurements. It sounds great to boot; it’s not lose your hearing loud, but others will know you have a excellent sounding high horsepower V-8 under the hood. :)

For my own edification, I did a quick google search that pointed me to this ...

California Air Resources Board - Wikipedia

Look for an exhaust system that is CARB approved and an has an EO(executive order) number on the part. Show that to the smog station, and it will pass because it will be within the law.

Some of the old timers here might remember when lead was still in the gas and no emissions equipment caused ones eyes to burn while also exposing everyone to airborne lead. Mad Hatter anyone?

I’m just glad all the manufacturers offer parts to reduce emissions while making great performance, so we can continue to enjoy cars while balancing air quality at a price that is sorta affordable.

Ford has the excellent coyote engine that can meet the standards and (gasp, hiss, boo if you are a die hard Ford fan) the other guys offer a thing called an E-rod engine I’ve been told.

And I am also glad these same manufacturers go through the sometimes onerous process of qualifying their parts too. There is room for improvement in that process for sure.

I hope that helps. Best, T

4. srdigital

I'm increasingly nervous of the new modified exhaust laws as I commute in it daily. I have a VRS high-flow catted x currently, and a Mac O/R x but I like the idea of not having to play that game every 2 years.

5. srdigital

was it by chance the system I linked to? or was it another?

thanks, t! very helpful.

6. nxhappy

LOL you work at the ARB ? Are you a nark ? GTFO

7. cartec

No ... to both questions.

Look at my other posts to understand who I am.

I’m old enough and lucky enough to have taken auto shop in a California high school where I did an 85 GT engine and t-5 trans swap into a 79 Foxbody for my first car.

The 99 Cobra with the IRS and 4.6 32 valve is more refined although I still like the foxbodies.

Best,T

8. cartec

9. nxhappy

naw. old timers don't like cats and Kali smog laws. I call bullshit.

10. cartec

So you want the lead back in gas? Ha!

I was only trying to help the guy with his questions, and I get called a jerk. I’m going to think about wether I want to participate at this site anymore.

11. slo984now

slo984now AKA 01yellerCobra Established Member

If you're tuned make sure the protections for the cats are still turned on. I think part of the issue is the protections are turned off when making big power so the cats take a beating.

12. srdigital

I ended up finding a brand new Magnaflow 441114 for about 40% off on ebay. I got it outside of ebay through the seller to avoid ebay fees. their advertising was pretty odd, as they were selling it below MAP. map is a minimum price set by the manufacturer, basically fixing the bottom pricing that any authorized distributor can advertise or list it at.

seller was legit, was a huge Magnaflow rep and had it dropped shipped direct from manufactuere and was here 2 days after buying it.

so, a some quick notes:
    - CA smog legal
    - high-flow cats
    - 2.5" all the way with an x-pipe
    - stainless
    - high-quality, well made

I had a VRS catted x-pipe into borla stingers. i'm an audio engineer for a living, and I commute in the car with ear plugs. it was raspy, obnoxiously loud, way too much drone at 2k (70mph on the freeway). when downshifting, it got sputtery/pops/clicks with both the VRS and the stock mid. I thought I hated the stingers.

rasp is now gone, the stingers are now 97% tone and 3% drone. I can stomp on it (or midnight taco bell run) and not wake up the whole neighborhood. it sounds refined to me. conversations can be had in the cabin without raising your voice. sputtering is totally gone, it just growls on a downshift like it should. I am 100% keeping the stingers now, and I think I've found an excellent, low-maintenance medium that doesn't sacrifice much.

I would have been hard-pressed to pay full price (especially since I have a functional stock midpipe), but this exceeded all my expectations and I consider it money well spent. car is a daily driver with several track events a year, and I plan on never having to switch this thing out, regardless of the duty it sees.

my mpg is definitely going to take a hit, considering I can hit it more aggressively without it sounding irresponsibly loud.

13. slo984now

slo984now AKA 01yellerCobra Established Member

I wonder what kind of shape the cats were in the VRS? The original cats in my Bassani slowly disintegrated and the car got louder each time. One morning I fired it up and there was a pop and suddenly it was really loud. I had the Stingers at the time as well. That lasted about a week before I ordered replacement cats.

I'm currently on the stock mid pipe with the Stingers. It's not bad, but it just has a weird tone to me. I'll probably put the Bassani back on in the next couple months.