C8Z06 unveiled today

quad

Established Member
So it is verified as being exactly the same as what you buy from Tesla? The one that they brought to the ring in August had totally different wheels tires and suspension.

Model-S-Plaid-Nurburgring-2-1024x633.webp
Not sure what does the rules say? Can a production car set a record with non-stock wheels and suspension? Tesla will apparently come out with a track pack option for the Plaid soon.

As for production electric cars, Tesla has claimed an unmodified Model S Plaid has lapped the 'ring in 7:30:909 with an average speed of 99.6mph - a very impressive time for a four-door saloon car.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
I've seen it posted already but I think it's gonna be a dud.

So... it's down 80 ft/lb from a c6z... and 190 ft/lb from a C7Z.

Can't wait to see these guys bragging about running 11.7s in the 1/4... the ONLY metric that matters to AMERICA.
The C8 Sting Ray runs 11.1. This thing going to make pervious Z's seem slow at the drag strip and the road coarse.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I hate to be that guy but what's the point of getting a C8 Z06 when it will be slower than a Tesla Plaid?

The Plaid can also haul a bike in the back and still be faster than the Z06. Yeah I know sound and everything but at least make if faster than the hated Tesla sedan?! The whole point of Corvette and Z06 is that it is supposed to be fast. Well it's slower than a 4 door electric sedan!

MS-Interior-Grid-D-Desktop
I know I’m a little late to this debate, but Saturday night I did a two gear burnout in my ICE mustang that was loud and raucous, while fishtailing. Idgaf what car would beat me in a quarter mile race at that moment, because raw ICE power to do that kind of shit is what makes men, men. It was powerful, badass, and not battery powered. **** the Plaid and it’s battery powered bullshit.

lilcoop03

Established Member

Can't wait to see these guys bragging about running 11.7s in the 1/4... the ONLY metric that matters to AMERICA.
C6Z had 540 ft/lbs?

q6543

Established Member
You're right.. it was only 470s.

I just see the 460 tq on the new FPC engine and have visions of the gt350 all over again.
They're gutless to a stock coyote.
Maybe chevys transmission will help paper over the lack of grunt.
Like to make a gt350 fast you have to put a th400 behind it.

But then I listen to clips of it taking ALL DAY LONG to rev... and I get it..9k.. still.
Maybe they got a magic trans ... I just need to see it to believe it.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
You're right.. it was only 470s.

I just see the 460 tq on the new FPC engine and have visions of the gt350 all over again.
They're gutless to a stock coyote.
Maybe chevys transmission will help paper over the lack of grunt.
Like to make a gt350 fast you have to put a th400 behind it.

But then I listen to clips of it taking ALL DAY LONG to rev... and I get it..9k.. still.
Maybe they got a magic trans ... I just need to see it to believe it.

you are smoking crack.... 350 is the faster car...

lilcoop03

Established Member
I really wish the torque number was higher (520ish at least) but that is the nature of these FPC engines. Seems like it would be a turd on the street and a blast on the track, but that 2.6 0-60 says otherwise..

5.0 Hatch

Established Member

11.7s?? That's near stock c5z territory... 20 years ago with 260 less hp.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
An interesting bit on the design timeline. LT6 engine development started between 2013-2014. That would make sense, given the Ferrari 458 was their benchmark, and wrapped up production in 2015.

It puts in perspective just how long clean sheet designs take at major OEM's.

tom_tom

Established Member
Chevy cracked 120 hp / litre, about 20 more than ford. I wonder how they did it?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Chevy cracked 120 hp / litre, about 20 more than ford. I wonder how they did it?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Other than the flat crank (even that is significantly different) and a 90 deg 8 cyl, basically everything else is changed and turned up to 11.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Just got back from SEMA. I have some video I took before the SEMA reveal. As soon as I can get it edited I'll post it up on YouTube.

U.M.

Users who are viewing this thread