C8 Z06 670HP NA FPC!!

F8l Vnm

Established Member
Finally GM builds a unique engine! 670 out of 5.5 is pretty damn nuts. Looking forward to seeing this run against its competition.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
and ~100# of reduced unsprung weight between carbon wheels and brakes. Should move out.

I didn’t see any other stats, caught the live feed after all the good stuff must have been discussed.

Yea, I’d say the weight loss, and where it’s lost, should help too!

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
What did they do with the flat plane crank where ford was having issues?

We may really never know, as there is probably some pretty valuable IP involved. FR vs. MR layout probably makes a big difference.

They did race with the engine for a good few years beforehand, and surely learned a lot during that time.

As for Ford's FPC, there are some great articles and vids floating around detailing out all the things they had to "give up" to offer their engine. Many of the advantages that a FPC offers they had to sacrifice. Other than the basic crank layout, not much else in the Voodoo ended up that way.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
What did they do with the flat plane crank where ford was having issues?

I'd say the use of a lot of titanium and a clean sheet design, not one based of of a cross plane crank engine, really helped specifically tailor this engine to work well with a FPC and larger displacement. It also helps that they raced this engine first so that they could work out the bugs.

Further, I have a feeling that with the right mounting system, the fact that the engine is behind the driver and not in front, allows them to get away with a few more vibes and the driver not notice. As long as the engine holds up, the NVH is just more of an issue for the driver.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
We may really never know, as there is probably some pretty valuable IP involved. FR vs. MR layout probably makes a big difference.

They did race with the engine for a good few years beforehand, and surely learned a lot during that time.

As for Ford's FPC, there are some great articles and vids floating around detailing out all the things they had to "give up" to offer their engine. Many of the advantages that a FPC offers they had to sacrifice. Other than the basic crank layout, not much else in the Voodoo ended up that way.

Yea, Ford had to work without a clean sheet, plus cost was more of a factor I am sure. If they could have used more exotic materials, and had a clean sheet, I am sure the results would have been just as fabulous.

The Z06 should be nice. Too bad the C8 is so ugly. This is a step forward though, but honestly it looks like something a kid would design as his dream car.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I'd say the use of a lot of titanium and a clean sheet design, not one based of of a cross plane crank engine, really helped specifically tailor this engine to work well with a FPC and larger displacement. It also helps that they raced this engine first so that they could work out the bugs.

Further, I have a feeling that with the right mounting system, the fact that the engine is behind the driver and not in front, allows them to get away with a few more vibes and the driver not notice. As long as the engine holds up, the NVH is just more of an issue for the driver.
Not to take away from the C8Z limelight, but this makes the GT350 all the more special. FPC, front engine and manual. If GM makes a manual c8z, holy moly that will be the enthusiast car to get.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Yea, Ford had to work without a clean sheet, plus cost was more of a factor I am sure. If they could have used more exotic materials, and had a clean sheet, I am sure the results would have been just as fabulous.

The Z06 should be nice. Too bad the C8 is so ugly. This is a step forward though, but honestly it looks like something a kid would design as his dream car.

+1

There is really nothing left to innovate on an ICE. Every engineering team at every car maker is capable of designing something like this. It's all those other factors that get in the way.

Straight pipe that bi*** and let it scream!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread