C8 Wont be tunable any time soon

LostM

Established Member
https://www.motor1.com/news/352815/g...unhackability/
https://www.thedrive.com/news/28295/...-tuning-report

" This ECU supposedly communicates with all the other modules in the car which verify that the ECU is the one that shipped with the car. This is the big problem. It makes swaps either completely impossible or difficult to the point it may not ever be worth it. Cracking the encryption is one thing. Cracking the encryption and tricking every other module in the car that the ECU hasnt been tampered with is another. Just take a look at what the duramax guys had to deal with. They only got it cracked because a vendor essentially built an entire replacement ECU. This Group B update makes that impossible aswell. "

Hope your happy with that 490CHP :)

LostM

Established Member
The Zr1 didnt have this " Group B" system nor 100 modules that communicate with the ECU to verify.. thats the difference. on the GM boards the intelligent people are not very confident this is going to happen before a C9 is released

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I still think the C8 is a game changer.

But

I think the embracing of Over-The-Air updates for the car is a double edged sword. On one hand it makes sure that everything is always up to date. On the other, GM and the EPA know exactly whats going on at all times.

If you dont think that data is getting sent back via that link....

This may be the first Vette that cant be modified easily.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I was saying this earlier, they might finally crack the ECU in the C8. But it's going to be expensive to tune, just like ZR1, most people don't want to drop 3 to 4k just to tune a car.

My94GT

Established Member
Meh no big deal, and I love that anyone is like oh enjoy 495hp, like one- it’s really anything to scoff at and two- the C8Z isn’t going to hit the dealer lots not far behind this base model.

We get it, people are still fighting to have respect for the long awaited GT500 (it’ll still get it’s due) but the vette is still a game changer and this is just the base platform currently.

It may take a while but this is a high demand car which will have many tuners working hard to crack the ecu or set something up to be cohesive with tuning. It’ll all just come with a price tag.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
GM just revolutionized the OEM aftermarket.

Dodge will ship you a crate of stuff that will make your car faster than anything on the street if you buy it after you buy the car.

GM gave themselves a subscription based (recurring revenue), free shipping (wireless updates) OEM aftermarket package that will make your car faster than anything on the street, OR TRACK if you buy it after you buy the car.

We'll give you the wireless God key if you pay for it, monthly. Then you can do whatever the hell you want to your car. Oh and no warranty. Try and fight it, we'll bring all the GPS, speed, throttle, and cornering data we have to court. If you're happy with this arrangement, we'll use all of this data when we start mapping out the c9. We'll know how vette drivers drive, what the problems are, what vette owners want, how the tuners tune it, and what people upgrade. Shit, we just cut out all future Corvette R&D costs. You guys liked those bailouts? I just got the people to pay for our shit, again, permanently.

(This post is laced with sarcasm)

**edit**
Gm execs just emailed me and offered me a spot on the board.

...and Maximus said to Commodus, "the time for honoring yourself will soon come to an end."

Last edited:

My94GT

Established Member
GM just revolutionized the OEM aftermarket.

Dodge will ship you a crate of stuff that will make your car faster than anything on the street if you buy it after you buy the car.

GM gave themselves a subscription based (recurring revenue), free shipping (wireless updates) OEM aftermarket package that will make your car faster than anything on the street, OR TRACK if you buy it after you buy the car.

We'll give you the wireless God key if you pay for it, monthly. Then you can do whatever the hell you want to your car. Oh and no warranty. Try and fight it, we'll bring all the GPS, speed, throttle, and cornering data we have to court. If you're happy with this arrangement, we'll use all of this data when we start mapping out the c9. We'll know how vette drivers drive, what the problems are, what vette owners want, how the tuners tune it, and what people upgrade. Shit, we just cut out all future Corvette R&D costs. You guys liked those bailouts? I just got the people to pay for our shit, again, permanently.

(This post is laced with sarcasm)

**edit**
Gm execs just emailed me and offered me a spot on the board.

...and Maximus said to Commodus, "the time for honoring yourself will soon come to an end."

The reality is that wouldn’t be a long shot for manufacturers to start offering.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
The reality is that wouldn’t be a long shot for manufacturers to start offering.
It started as me being a jackass and I stumbled upon a not so far fetched possibility, hence the GM exec email.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I'll bet " those " people are already starting on a tune.
You think people that work @ GM don't have non co. friends ?
How many people worked on this project, & how many of them talk to no one ??
There's no way there aren't NDAs and non-competes between auto co.s - r&d and certain aspects of manufacturing.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I didn't click the links and read their content, but from the snippet posted in OP it just sounds like swapping the drivetrain from that car to another is going to be really difficult, not necessarily tuning the car. Maybe I'm wrong and missing something.

Also, do you know how many cars we've heard it will be impossible to crack and tune? How are those 1,000 plus wheel GT-R's doing?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Literally every time a new performance car is introduced, the rumor mill starts churning out how "impossible to tune" the car will be. Literally every time. And it never holds true. Why do these threads keep getting made?

Users who are viewing this thread