c8 vs hellcat charger at the track

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
That hellcat charger driver was hard to watch. When I had my hellcat challenger with only 275/40r20 MT et s/s tire on the car. I never made a pass slower than 10.9 at 129. 30 plus passes in the car and it woul run consistant 10.8-10.9 between 129-130 every time. I dont know how guys screw up these cars so bad.

Sent from my SM-G973U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
in the case of the moron in the challenger, he just revved it to 6k and dumped the clutch. the car sat in place, spinning the tires for what seemed like a full second before it even moved and when it did, it was still spinning.

q6543

Established Member
No... this is how the majority of these races will go down. Off a stop light... to 60mph or so.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I can’t speak for anyone else but I want to drive my car and not worry about carrying extra wheels tires around for the 1320. Drive in, run, drive home. Maybe I’m basic or lazy?

Why not run DR's full time?
I put 39K miles on my Hellcat and except for the first month, I ran NT555R's full time.
The car was Much more predictable and enjoyable to drive.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I put 39K miles on my Hellcat and except for the first month, I ran NT555R's full time.

I drove my hellcat one time with the stock tires before I swapped out to DRs. It was downright dangerous stock. I cannot believe that guys are sticking with factory pirellis. Honestly I think a scat pack would be a better driving experience if you do not want to go with DRs.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m not running DR in the rain or below 40 degrees. Maybe you do?
The car on drag radials full time in 3 seasons plus performance snow tires during winter was MUCH safer than on stock rubber.
The truth is the Hellcat traction control is WAY better than any Ford I’ve experienced, including my ‘14 GT500, and as long as you keep traction control on, you’ll always be safe.
I only had concerns in my Charger on downpours with standing water (think smooth highway) when the DRs were under 50%.
I’m a HUGE fan of NT555Rs as a 3 season daily tire on high power cars. Sure others are better at the strip, but none are better all around.
I had almost 36k miles in my Charger before turning it in in March.
I felt the 3 sets of DRs and one set of Yoko V-rated snows was definitely worth the ability to enjoy 700hp on a daily basis.
It’s all in what you prioritize.
-J

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I think we are forgetting that the C8 can get to 60 pretty damn fast stock. So it certainly gaps most anything from a dig and it'll be awhile before someone comes around in the 1/4 unless they are making big power.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The car on drag radials full time in 3 seasons plus performance snow tires during winter was MUCH safer than on stock rubber.
The truth is the Hellcat traction control is WAY better than any Ford I’ve experienced, including my ‘14 GT500, and as long as you keep traction control on, you’ll always be safe.
I only had concerns in my Charger on downpours with standing water (think smooth highway) when the DRs were under 50%.
I’m a HUGE fan of NT555Rs as a 3 season daily tire on high power cars. Sure others are better at the strip, but none are better all around.
I felt the 3 sets of DRs and one set of Yoko V-rated snows was definitely worth the ability to enjoy 700hp on a daily basis.
-J
I’m in Northern California and don’t want to mess with a second set of tires, my point from the first post.
I’d rather do one set of mps4 or similar than d/r and winter set.

2011fiveliter

Established Member

I drove my hellcat for 15k miles on MT ET s/s tires. Wouldnt drive it with a set off all seasons again after having the DR on the car. Much safer and enjoyable to drive.

Sent from my SM-G973U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m in Northern California and don’t want to mess with a second set of tires, my point from the first post.
I’d rather do one set of mps4 or similar than d/r and winter set.
Well, that’s obviously your choice, but you then have the realization that you’ll never fully enjoy or safely experience big power. It’s like taking your new Ford GT or Demon to the track but not trying it with upgraded rubber.
I simply had affordable winter tires on factory wheels and cheap factory replicas wider in the rear with DRs.
I got 75% of the replica wheel investment.
The wheel change in the fall and spring was just part of the experience of a high power DD.
-J

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
As it is your choice to swap tires and drive a straight line tire through the summer. Driving and have cornering stability and a little safety through the backroads and downpours without swapping and storing 4 tires is what I prefer. Cheers!

kaz109

Established Member
As it is your choice to swap tires and drive a straight line tire through the summer. Driving and have cornering stability and a little safety through the backroads and downpours without swapping and storing 4 tires is what I prefer. Cheers!

And you say we never agree on anything lol

My94GT

Established Member
I can’t speak for anyone else but I want to drive my car and not worry about carrying extra wheels tires around for the 1320. Drive in, run, drive home. Maybe I’m basic or lazy?

I mean I get that but for the many many years I’ve been into cars I’ve always been used to the knowledge that if you had some power in your mustang, Camaro, etc you threw a drag radial on.

it’s not the most practical but it’s the trade off for a rwd platform. Even vette guys have done this. Color me confused why it’s a crunch excuse now that hellcats are in question.

My94GT

Established Member
-J

seriously I never drove a 03/04 cobra but spent plenty of time in a 2010 GT500 stock and modded and it was down right dangerous with the stock Goodyear’s and it had less power then a hellcat.

I always remember seeing vids over the pst year of people bragging on their “stock” times with only a bfg or nitto DR.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member

Well then you don't need to waste your money on a Hellcat because you would never be able to use it to it's full potential running OEM all seasons, unless you drive around only using the Black key.

Also, stay clear of the 2021 Hellcat Super Stock as it will come standard from the factory with OEM drag radials.

Diablo Mike

Trinity Guy
Authorized Vendor
Nitto NT555Rs are excellent rain tires when they have tread. No snow here in FL so the 555R is a perfect year round tire.

As mentioned, its not gonna set any records at the drag strip, but they are 10x better than factory rubber while still offering some treadwear and predictability.
I daily them on my SP and so does a coworker with a Hellcat.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Well then you don't need to waste your money on a Hellcat because you would never be able to use it to it's full potential running OEM all seasons, unless you drive around only using the Black key.

Also, stay clear of the 2021 Hellcat Super Stock as it will come standard from the factory with OEM drag radials.
If I can’t drive a vehicle on the street without the aid of an d/r et/s or some sort of slick I purchased the wrong vehicle. If can’t enjoy my car when not at the strip I purchased the wrong vehicle.
I guess I do not understand why anyone would go to the track with 700+ hp running OEM all season tires.
Why do people go with just a d/r? At least go et street or full slick if you’re wanting the absolute best times!
I mean I get that but for the many many years I’ve been into cars I’ve always been used to the knowledge that if you had some power in your mustang, Camaro, etc you threw a drag radial on.

it’s not the most practical but it’s the trade off for a rwd platform. Even vette guys have done this. Color me confused why it’s a crunch excuse now that hellcats are in question.
Excuse? Give me the best tire for my driving enjoyment without the headache of swapping or storing. If this can’t be done with a certain vehicle I won’t buy it. Certified rs7 cost the same as new HC....

My94GT

Established Member
If I can’t drive a vehicle on the street without the aid of an d/r et/s or some sort of slick I purchased the wrong vehicle. If can’t enjoy my car when not at the strip I purchased the wrong vehicle.

Why do people go with just a d/r? At least go et street or full slick if you’re wanting the absolute best times!

Excuse? Give me the best tire for my driving enjoyment without the headache of swapping or storing. If this can’t be done with a certain vehicle I won’t buy it. Certified rs7 cost the same as new HC....

So basically up until the current vette and maybe current GT500 that rules out the previous few years of higher HP cars. None of them get stellar traction with out a drag radial.

You’re expectations of a front engine rwd platform with power north of 600hp are a bit ridiculous. Also you could likely throw something like toyo R888r on them and get better traction than their factory tire selection. The trade off with that tire is rain and snow performance, but you won’t find 100% what you expect out of any set up really.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
So basically up until the current vette and maybe current GT500 that rules out the previous few years of higher HP cars. None of them get stellar traction with out a drag radial.

You’re expectations of a front engine rwd platform with power north of 600hp are a bit ridiculous. Also you could likely throw something like toyo R888r on them and get better traction than their factory tire selection. The trade off with that tire is rain and snow performance, but you won’t find 100% what you expect out of any set up really.
I don't see the snow or ice, mps4 or any other summer high performance tire would be awesome for street, cornering and maybe a strip run twice a year. Could I drop at 5k rpm, no. Will I get the best 60 time, no. Will I have a great tire for great performance tire on the street and backroads, yes.

Users who are viewing this thread