C8 Performance -vs 2020 GT500

blk02edge

Established Member
I think the c8 will shine at smooth naturally banked courses like leguna seca but be frustrating at flatter and bumpier tracks like grattan.

When you dial under steer into a car, it doesn’t turn in, it doesn’t slip out, and it plows over bumps from my experience. Beats dying in a fiery tail spin though.

I think a c8 z51 will struggle to keep up with a 202 gt350, and will be slower than a 2020 gt350r.

The updates to the gt350/r are quite nice. I think the base gt500 will be faster in track than a gt350r but barely. Power and mainly braking being why, cornering speed being 5-10% lower. Maybe a 1:35.5 at Laguna vs 1:36’s for the gt350r. I hope to see cftp gt500’s sneak into the 1:32’s at Leguna but I’m confident the car has 1:34/ high33’s in it.

Having done bullshit builds on forza, I hit mid 1:34’s with a nose heavy 4025lbs pig running full aero and sport tires. Factor the better brakes, almost slick tire, better than 55% balance, and hugely the weight not being on the nose but center on the floor, aft the front axle, and the wider front track, the dct shifts etc, I think the car will grip it’s way to very impressive times much like a Tesla p100d handles far better than the 5200lbs curb weight would have you believe.

I just want the open air, and midship feel. I want to get a better custom speced alignment, lighter wheels/tires and bolt one on the eventual one I get if I go that route. Since I’m a caveman, I could honestly see myself being happier with a c7 grandsport convertible..
The only thing ill disagree with here is the braking between the 350r and base 500. The 350R will out brake the base 500. Why? Back to the old sticky tires. Tires are more important for braking distance than brake size (350R doesnt have brake heat issues)... Sounds funny, I know... The 350R will also have a smaller braking zone (horsepower) so that excess power in the 500 will be widdled down to not much

blk02edge

Established Member
And since im not tired of hearing myself talk yet ill mention that a small track like grattan has more technical corners for a less than pro driver to screw up than a big sweeping track like Willow(random example) so dont judge the time difference purely off track size. That can also be suprising.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ya track wise I think the gnarliest tiny track would be lime rock. That place is a mini golf Nurburgring

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Grattan is a POS? Weird, because manufacturers test there constantly.

It ain't a world class facility but the track itself is technical and fast.

blk02edge

Established Member
Compared to the usual world class road courses yea its a pos. I assume they test there because its good for working out kinks in a rougher environment

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
They test there because the track itself is bad ass. It ain't that rough and the last time I was on it that was pre-resurface. The amenities are nil, but nobody is going there for the deluxe lunch service.

blk02edge

Established Member
They test there because the track itself is bad ass. It ain't that rough and the last time I was on it that was pre-resurface. The amenities are nil, but nobody is going there for the deluxe lunch service.
Mkay, ive never heard anyone say it was a good track in the slightest but to each his own. Ive never been there so all I have are videos and second hand opinions from people who have.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Did you guys see the Road and track article today on the c8.
0-60 2.8 seconds.
0-100 7.1 seconds
0-100-0 10.6 seconds..

1/4 mile 11.1

The article said the 19 ZR1 Corvette barely caught it at the end of the quarter mile..

Looks like this will be stiff competition for the new GT 500 even without a supercharger Or any kind of forced induction.

That’s insane

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Mkay, ive never heard anyone say it was a good track in the slightest but to each his own. Ive never been there so all I have are videos and second hand opinions from people who have.

Well I've been there, including with Ford for vehicle testing, so to each his own indeed.

conceptmachine

Established Member
Did you guys see the Road and track article today on the c8.
0-60 2.8 seconds.
0-100 7.1 seconds
0-100-0 10.6 seconds..

1/4 mile 11.1

The article said the 19 ZR1 Corvette barely caught it at the end of the quarter mile..

Looks like this will be stiff competition for the new GT 500 even without a supercharger Or any kind of forced induction.

fast as ****. Thata what I'm talking about

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Well I've been there, including with Ford for vehicle testing, so to each his own indeed.
And this is exactly why the internet can be frustrating.
For example, I call Milan Dragway a POS, but I still like racing on the track surface. The rest of the facility is subpar, but the track for racing is actually good.
Back to the main topic, it appears GT500 beats the base C8 on the drag strip. And yes I’m understanding this is the base C8 and that neither car is set up for maximum drag use, but it’s still fun to compare I guess.
-J

NinjaRacer

The GT500 will definitely best a C8 on the street, but on a track it will lose. Also feels way easier to get into a C8. I can option one exactly how I want it, whereas Ford dealers laugh at me when I ask about GT500.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The GT500 will definitely best a C8 on the street, but on a track it will lose. Also feels way easier to get into a C8. I can option one exactly how I want it, whereas Ford dealers laugh at me when I ask about GT500.

It’s easier to get into a C8 Vette than a gt500 because of production numbers. 5:1 or more difference. It was easier to get into a c7 than a trinity for the same reasons.

Roll races should go to the gt500, digs to the c8’s. At the strip, stock vs stock it’s the c8’s at the 1/8th and gt500’s at the 1/4.

On a circuit even a base gt500 will be tough company for a c8, you’ll need a z51 and a great driver to gap a base gt500 driven well. Cftp vs z51 is the gt500 all day imo

blk02edge

Established Member
It’s easier to get into a C8 Vette than a gt500 because of production numbers. 5:1 or more difference. It was easier to get into a c7 than a trinity for the same reasons.

Roll races should go to the gt500, digs to the c8’s. At the strip, stock vs stock it’s the c8’s at the 1/8th and gt500’s at the 1/4.

On a circuit even a base gt500 will be tough company for a c8, you’ll need a z51 and a great driver to gap a base gt500 driven well. Cftp vs z51 is the gt500 all day imo
All that matters is magazine tests in stock conditions and the base 500 will likely be dead nuts even with the z51. (That z51 was 5 seconds slower with magazine editors driving vs professionals in the 500) thats 2 seconds right there. Tire will more than easily eat up the rest.

Once you start throwing real life people and tweaks here and there it all gets thrown out the window as driver skill is just wildly different. No longer any form of simple comparisons like "this will be close with that" etc. Yesterday I was beating up on a C7Z. His excuse was his tires were dead. Sad thing is they werent, and mine were corded... 46th track day of the year for me yesterday and I am done for the year... Time to turn on Forza to gain some reaaal knowledge

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
46 days is living life. Good for you.
Its why Im stuck in a miata... No chance I can afford to run anything more. Luckily I do get to drive other peoples cars once in a while.

blk02edge

Established Member
As long as you're having a blast and not getting hurt, I'd say life is pretty good. :)
Oh ive been hurt... Cold slicks on the Van diemen race car I went off, jumped the curb and couldnt walk for 2 days. (I run that car with no seat as Im too tall). Also lost a brake line and went straight first into the wall while not wearing my hans (miata)... My own fault for being lazy and that put me out for a number of days.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I think we can all agree that anyone with 15 hours of gran turismo under their belt knows enough about race courses. We don’t all need @blk02edge levels of driving experience (joking)

I have nowhere near that time on track but I’m pretty sure the gt500 will really impress on track

Users who are viewing this thread