C8 Performance -vs 2020 GT500

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
And thousands of dollars cheaper than the zr1 & 2020 Shelby
The c8 Is faster 0 to 60 and it has almost 260 hp less in the ZR1. The ZR one is .03 seconds faster in a quarter mile.

The ZR1 barely catches it at the end of the 1/4 mile.

Also more impressive is the fact that it almost beats 2020 GT500’s 0 to 100 and back to 0 times (and it would have if it had slightly bigger brakes). 10.8 for the c8 vs 10.6 seconds for the Gt500 with 6 piston brembo with 16.5 rotors and extra 260+ hp...

The c8 will be a beast on the street.
Again the c6z is a 11.0 @ 128 vehicle.
c6zr1 goes 10.8 @ 132.
c7zr1 10.6 @ 133

Of course the performance c8 will beat all of these numbers. Currently both zr1’s are a lot faster!

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I had the opportunity to get a good sense as to just how utterly ****ing badass the C7 ZR1 is this past weekend. That, and I was able to get a good look at the C8 while at the IMSA races at Road Atlanta.........

Great post, well stated. Thanks for all the pics too. ;) The C8 appears to be the deal of the century, almost unbelievable. The good news is, the rest of the manufacturers will REALLY have to step up their game if they want to compete, so this should make for some interesting developments in the near future.

Meanwhile, I'm drooling with envy over the C8. I've had a C5 and a C6, both excellent cars. This C8 looks wayyyyyyy better............

blk02edge

Established Member
The c8 Is faster 0 to 60 and it has almost 260 hp less in the ZR1. The ZR one is .03 seconds faster in a quarter mile.

The ZR1 barely catches it at the end of the 1/4 mile.

Also more impressive is the fact that it almost beats 2020 GT500’s 0 to 100 and back to 0 times (and it would have if it had slightly bigger brakes). 10.8 for the c8 vs 10.6 seconds for the Gt500 with 6 piston brembo with 16.5 rotors and extra 260+ hp...

The c8 will be a beast on the street.
Thats not anything to do with the size of the brake, its the pad compound matching the tire. The shelby uses a more aggressive pad and just like handling, tires are everything when it comes to braking too, oversized brakes are purely for heat management. That said, on the same tire the C8 would call game over. (Might need to step up the pads too)

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
It’s not pulling away from the zr1. It gets a big start and the zr1 catches it. Like I said earlier the zr1 is a lot faster than the c6z. C6z is faster than c8. The c8 nails the launch.
My bad brother,........I was going by what some else wrote!! (That's what happens I guess. I should have known better. lol)
I didn't watch any of the videos or look at any of the links posted about this.

My94GT

Established Member
I’m really curious to see info in the C8GS and how it stacks up or if it doesn’t really have a place anymore

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I’m really curious to see info in the C8GS and how it stacks up or if it doesn’t really have a place anymore
If it's anything like the previous years, it will be a bit before we see it and it should be Z06 with this engine.

Those are some of my favorite corvettes. I think the C7GS would be a really good lapping car.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
You could stare at this ****ing thing for hours. Every square inch, optimized. What did Ford bring to the gunfight that weekend? One heck of a lot of crickets, as badass as the GT is. Displays were empty. Interest was heavily in favor of all things C8.
Lucky for you the c8 will be everywhere, so staring at it for hours won't be hard. Ford GT is a work of art, I dont care if that thing had a 4 cylinder. No comparison, c8 is just a newer vette.
ZR1 prices dropping already, lets GO!!!!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Lucky for you the c8 will be everywhere, so staring at it for hours won't be hard. Ford GT is a work of art, I dont care if that thing had a 4 cylinder. No comparison, c8 is just a newer vette.
ZR1 prices dropping already, lets GO!!!!
Production numbers of any performance vehicle aren't a metric by which I choose to appreciate well done engineering and execution. But I will say this - GM has done a far better job in terms of making this type of performance available than Ford has. Way better.

The Ford GT is indeed a work of art. Sadly, most here and everywhere else in the world will never get the opportunity to drive and own one. GM isn't playing that game, thankfully. And I do care what propels either of these two. For me, I get the corporate decision to use a V6 in the GT and it makes sense given Ford's goals with the car. That said, I cringe and usually look away when the car goes by on the track. Here's one at Road Atlanta last week. They sound like ass. Brace yourselves...

I had footage of the Corvettes (in the same class) as they passed by also. ****ing ear shattering and in a good way. Every time the yellow Vettes passed by you could see somebody turn and say "Holy ****!"

I had every opportunity for close inspection of about a half a dozen Ford GT's while I was there. I stared at them too and if not alone was one of only a couple of people. The C8, on the other hand, had some pretty large crowds around it wherever it was. I get that the GT was all the rage too when it was new. The difference is in the eye of the beholder here. People see the C8 as actually being obtainable rather than a poster on their wall to stare at.

As for prices dropping - ****ing A. If you are a performance enthusiast this is a perfect opportunity. If you want to buy to save the pussy for somebody else, not so much.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Production numbers of any performance vehicle aren't a metric by which I choose to appreciate well done engineering and execution. But I will say this - GM has done a far better job in terms of making this type of performance available than Ford has. Way better.

The Ford GT is indeed a work of art. Sadly, most here and everywhere else in the world will never get the opportunity to drive and own one. GM isn't playing that game, thankfully. And I do care what propels either of these two. For me, I get the corporate decision to use a V6 in the GT and it makes sense given Ford's goals with the car. That said, I cringe and usually look away when the car goes by on the track. Here's one at Road Atlanta last week. They sound like ass. Brace yourselves...

I had footage of the Corvettes (in the same class) as they passed by also. ****ing ear shattering and in a good way. Every time the yellow Vettes passed by you could see somebody turn and say "Holy ****!"

I had every opportunity for close inspection of about a half a dozen Ford GT's while I was there. I stared at them too and if not alone was one of only a couple of people. The C8, on the other hand, had some pretty large crowds around it wherever it was. I get that the GT was all the rage too when it was new. The difference is in the eye of the beholder here. People see the C8 as actually being obtainable rather than a poster on their wall to stare at.

As for prices dropping - ****ing A. If you are a performance enthusiast this is a perfect opportunity. If you want to buy to save the pussy for somebody else, not so much.
I heard then too at laguna seca, the c7r sounded way better but the ford gt looked better.
Also, the c8 is no longer a deep tone v8 sound, it has a sound similar a high rpm v8, think ferrari.

I'm definitely gonna miss the deep v8 soundin the previous Corvette racecars.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
When you look close you see how much the race versions differ from the production cars. I'm far from a Corvette nut but I gotta say, the C7R is pretty ****ing badass as much as some feel it doesn't have the supercar allure of the Ford GT. Once you've seen them and then heard them, to me anyway, everything gets evened up pretty quickly.

I heard the C8 and I honestly feel it sounded better than its GT counterpart. I'll miss the thundering scream from the C7R too. A great look from the inside of the C7R

It's going to take a couple of years for the production C8 to catch up but I definitely like where the car is going.

zzzz%202020-chevrolet-corvette-c8-r-race-car_100718502_h-X2.jpg

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
I know some people don't like him but here's Matt Farah's first review. I can't wait to see the performance of Z0 and ZR...I understand comparing the GT500 and Vette price wise but other than that it's apples and oranges. The Z cars are going to be world beaters and the GT500 will only be on par with the base Vette with a Z51 package.

Recon

Established Member
I will miss the classic Vette rumble but this doesn’t sound bad at all.

Pick your poison.

Established Member
I know some people don't like him but here's Matt Farah's first review.

While C8 looks fun on the track, it looks a little boring too, too easy in the corners then boring on straights just needs more umph. Z06 required and the GM buttons and interior remnants also are negatives along with generic corvette sounds.

GT500 : waaahhhaaa in the seat of the pants it will be.

nxhappy

Established Member
While C8 looks fun on the track, it looks a little boring too, too easy in the corners then boring on straights just needs more umph. Z06 required and the GM buttons and interior remnants also are negatives along with generic corvette sounds.

GT500 : waaahhhaaa in the seat of the pants it will be.
boring? How the **** can those times be boring? You must drive a twin turbo ....

Established Member
Times are great, some cars make a fast time easier than others and I think the C8 chassis is too good for ONLY 495HP, demands a Z06 pkg.

When push comes to shove, today I prefer GT500 over C8 z51, and that all said, if I was actually shopping today I think I would still get another GT350R.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
boring? How the **** can those times be boring? You must drive a twin turbo ....

Well I don’t know what he drives, but I have a 1200whp 03 cobra with a manual trans and I want a z51 c8 in a few years used, $35-40k as a daily so not all big power turbo guys (I guess small power these Texas 2k20 days) are power jaded.

I’ll take a warrantied 500hp Ferrari-esc experience for $40k. Also, one can buy plugs, filters, pumps and gaskets for it at autozone, sounds good to me. Pull the top off and let loose. Sounds like red, white and blue to me.

Established Member
I agree it's a very compelling car, but I doubt you will ever see a 40k z51 that has any warranty left, and by the time the car is 40k, you will see yourself on every corner, the Z06 will by out with real power, you will face stiff competition on road courses by GT500's, ZL1's, 911's... However, as you point out, even new, from a pure value perspective the C8 is very well positioned and as Matt points out, it is probably the most important car of the year.

Just this week I thought I had a issue in the repair of my R that was going to total it under the claim I had from my track incident and I got spun up on if I got a 60k check, what car would I replace it with. When I price C8 today it get's into the 80's, and while compelling, I think Matt's review was pretty spot on, once he got past the giddy new bike high, in about a week, there are some blandness characteristics from a GM parts bin and styling perspective that I very much resonated with. The passenger is segregated by design, and I concluded my preference was for GT500 for a close-ish price point (if I could get one.) I realized rather than ordering a C8 for delivery next summer at MSRP (I even went to the local chevy store) or step into the 90's for a GT500 (certainly had appeal) I'd probably look for another GT350R in the high 60's as my replacement, and if I could get a regular GT350 in the very low 60's that was still compelling. A base C8 in the 60's also has some style points, but I've already owned a base C7 and it got pretty cheap feeling pretty quick. Actually, I live by the Viper exchange and locating a gently used ACR in the 80's was a pretty compelling option too.

For me, when I genuinely believed this week I had money in hand, it really resolved towards another GT350 and in the end, I was happy my issue was a non-issue since I love my R and the mods I've done, but working through the what if's given the thought that something gave opened my eyes to an interesting perspective, the C8 was not a hands down no brainer like I thought it would be two months ago.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread