C6Z vs big turbo Evo

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with @streetassasin that you should be in 1st gear for a <40 roll.

2nd puts you a bit low in the powerband, correct?

I would agree with this. I think I would be at about 6k and then would have to shift right away. It was <60 degrees though and I was worried about traction in 1st. The ****er had me either way, fair is fair.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I would agree with this. I think I would be at about 6k and then would have to shift right away. It was <60 degrees though and I was worried about traction in 1st. The ****er had me either way, fair is fair.

With practice, you'll learn what the car likes and where you need to be based on speed.

Sometimes you need to be a bit stubborn and dictate the gear/speed. If they really want to race, they'll bite.

streetassasin

Welcome to Gaptown, TX
Established Member
With a tire on it itll hold a 40 in 1st on concrete, or just put a bottle in it and dont worry about it

1st runs in this vid is my car vs a 600+ evo, first run on motor he put 2 cars on me, on the bottle i had him by 5+

bmxer89

Established Member
Thats the truth! I never under estimate them dam things. They remind me of Grand National's...... They're either really SLOW or really ****ing FAST!

Agreed! I got freakin steamrolled by a Regal Type T (aka basically a Grand National) in my cobra back in the day. Thing moved.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Depends how big the turbo is on 4G63’s. A 700-800 whp one (not uncommon) would have ass raped you to 150 mph. There are quite a few 1000 plus whp ones awd running around. lol...

08mojo

Established Member
I mixed it up with an evo 9 last night and admittedly it did not go well. The Z has super long gears and I am still getting used to NA power. I have to work really hard to not short shift.

We did three runs ~40 to 110. He beeped on each and because he was beeping really worked the anti lag. I could barely hear his horn over the turbo spooling up LOL. He would jump me hard and put two car lengths into me and which I would make up one before we pulled off.

After the third I realized he was outsmarting me by making it his race. I should have honked so he did not have his antilag advantage and I should have kept on it until 130 since I would have freight trained him if I wound out 4th gear.

Live and learn. Nevertheless, I was impressed and he had a fast car. Do not know what his mods were but I am 580 at the wheel w/ H/C/I and full headers/exhaust. He had gearing advantage but I am lighter and way more aero.

Top of 3rd will take you well into the 120s, top of fourth will be well into the 150s.

I've had a lot of cars in my life, and the one I truly miss was my C6Z. The sound at 7k rpm was intoxicating, you should try it sometime:D

BUNKY

S281SVT
Established Member
He knew he lost every race that's why he called the jump on the honk
157781.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Boostez

Thats awesome. The EVO is a relatively light car and youre right, gearing is TIGHT. They are usually done around 130 or so. They definitely punch above their weight, but then again so does the c6z.

Good stuff
An EVO is not usually done by 130mph especially if it has a big turbo in it. It all depends on how much power he's putting to the wheels. I have a big turbo EVO that puts 600whp/550wtq to the wheels on E85. OP would not have been able to catch me up top. Just saying..

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
An EVO is not usually done by 130mph especially if it has a big turbo in it. It all depends on how much power he's putting to the wheels. I have a big turbo EVO that puts 600whp/550wtq to the wheels on E85. OP would not have been able to catch me up top. Just saying..

Fine, Mr Technical.. let's call it 140. Your evo is done at 140 unless you plan to shift into overdrive in a race (not smart). You are over 8k rpm at 140mph in 4th gear.

And for what it's worth, turbo size and "how much power to the wheels" has 0 to do with gearing, or top speed in 4th gear during a roll race.

What is your best ET and trap speed?

Boostez

Fine, Mr Technical.. let's call it 140. Your evo is done at 140 unless you plan to shift into overdrive in a race (not smart). You are over 8k rpm at 140mph in 4th gear.
I'm getting my tranny redone so that 5th gear is the EVO 9s 5th gear (much closer ratio to EVO8s 4th gear).

And for what it's worth, turbo size and "how much power to the wheels" has 0 to do with gearing, or top speed in 4th gear during a roll race.
If you are going for top speed, sure, your car will have the mph. But races are about acceleration. If I get to 140mph before you do, then my car literally accelerates faster than yours. Terminal velocity is hardly ever a condition for racing.

What is your best ET and trap speed?
I have to granny shift my car because my synchros are shot (literally all of them). When I race, I'm usually racing like a grandma and I just hope a car isn't as fast or faster than me because I will lose. :D My latest trap with broken sycros is 125mph in 4th gear (it should be over 130mph)

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
All the evos I have raced on stock gearing are total turds up top... after 125-130 indeed. This is no mystery... lol

Boostez

All the evos I have raced on stock gearing are total turds up top... after 125-130 indeed. This is no mystery... lol
The 5th gear on the EVO 8s is garbage and you lose a significant amount of rpm going from 4th to 5th gear. So what you say is true for the 8s. 9s-10s should be much closer to the ideal 1:1 ratio.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member

Yeah I dunno about that, homie. HCI C6Z is about the same weight and about the same power but with better gearing and better aero. My guess is the guy I ran was about 600 whp and he hit a wall at 130. A HCI C6Z is still pulling hard at 130.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm getting my tranny redone so that 5th gear is the EVO 9s 5th gear (much closer ratio to EVO8s 4th gear).

If you are going for top speed, sure, your car will have the mph. But races are about acceleration. If I get to 140mph before you do, then my car literally accelerates faster than yours. Terminal velocity is hardly ever a condition for racing.

I have to granny shift my car because my synchros are shot (literally all of them). When I race, I'm usually racing like a grandma and I just hope a car isn't as fast or faster than me because I will lose. :D My latest trap with broken sycros is 125mph in 4th gear (it should be over 130mph)

My man... you seem like a nice guy.

If you are trapping 125 or 130, you are not at 600whp and OP will promptly butt rape you with little hesitation.

A 600whp EVO traps near 140s (high high 130s maybe) and would give OP a run for his money IMO.

Best of luck on your tranny endeavors... EVOs certainly can be very fast-- IF you can drive/shift them!

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
The 5th gear on the EVO 8s is garbage and you lose a significant amount of rpm going from 4th to 5th gear. So what you say is true for the 8s. 9s-10s should be much closer to the ideal 1:1 ratio.

IX and Xs... are bad too.... I love the car bro, but just being factual here... it’s no secret. No dog in this fight.

Boostez

IX and Xs... are bad too.... I love the car bro, but just being factual here... it’s no secret. No dog in this fight.
The gear ratios:

EVO8 (5th) - 0.72
EVO9/X(5th) - 0.76

The 9s/Xs are closer to the 1:1 ratio. Having these low gear ratios don't mean it doesn't have top end power. Not trying to defend the car but I am emphasizing that you can't judge the car's top end performance based on it's "long" 5th gear. Again, everything depends on the power put to the wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread