C5 ZO6 vs LS1 SS

SSmoked99

Burn that sh*t UBZ
Established Member
SS: H/C/I (430ish)
ZO6: H/C (463rwhp)

Met up with BayAreaSS tonight for some fun runs. My friend with the ZO6 wanted to see how his car compared to his SS. Pretty good run with BayAreaSS's car pulling HARD in 4th taking the win. Good runs Marlon!
[youtube_browser]-rl5ntkM0Xc[/youtube_browser]

BayareaSS

Established Member
Wanna explain that outcome to us? Lol

^^+1....ha
Pretty simple... C5 had a great reaction time and had a 1/2-3/4 car lead in 2nd and 3rd gear. When I shifted to 4th I started pulling pretty hard and you see me come into view as I'm pulling in front

I have seen several vids of his car. It runs hard for sure. Good run OP
Thank You
What gears are in the SS?

4.10s

That was fun and a great run. Felt good to actually drive/race my car for once. I'll see how the vid from my car came out tonight

cobraman302

Established Member
Good run! I have always had a soft spot for those SS's. I think the question here is this....How does a 300-400lb heavier SS with less RWHP pull away that hard on the top end? That's what they want explained. Driver? Gears? Clutch slipping? make more power than he says? Or weight reduction? Fat passenger in the Z06 lol?

SSmoked99

Burn that sh*t UBZ
Established Member
Good run! I have always had a soft spot for those SS's. I think the question here is this....How does a 300-400lb heavier SS with less RWHP pull away that hard on the top end? That's what they want explained. Driver? Gears? Clutch slipping? make more power than he says? Or weight reduction? Fat passenger in the Z06 lol?
Maybe the gears is what did it. I was the passenger in the ZO6 and I weigh 170lbs. If you look at all the vids of BayareaSS's car, you could tell it runs hard.
That SS was in it to win it...heard a rev limit lol
HA yup! It was a good run for sure.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
I'm going to assume SS might have some weight reduction and those 4.10s really help get it up there. In the video you clearly hear the SS hit the rev limiter while the vette still had quite a bit of gear left in it.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Great run marlon! Yea ss has weight reductions. And I know first hand how hard that ss pulls.. it's the strongest ls1 I've seen

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Pretty simple... C5 had a great reaction time and had a 1/2-3/4 car lead in 2nd and 3rd gear. When I shifted to 4th I started pulling pretty hard and you see me come into view as I'm pulling in front

You know what I mean. What does the ss weigh? You are down 30rwhp (not sure how yours or his looks under the curve) and had a good run on him in 4th. Just a little odd and clearly you can see I wasn't the only one that thought so. Not a big deal.

BayareaSS

Established Member
Both cars were driven good and no mechanical problems. My car has weight reduction. Its nothing crazy and I haven't weighed it. This car has been high 10s at mid 120s on motor so that should help put things into perspective
Great run marlon! Yea ss has weight reductions. And I know first hand how hard that ss pulls.. it's the strongest ls1 I've seen
Yea you know all about it lol. Thanks :pepper:
It just runs hard for the mods was door to door with my old stock c6z06 50-125
True statement

You know what I mean. What does the ss weigh? You are down 30rwhp (not sure how yours or his looks under the curve) and had a good run on him in 4th. Just a little odd and clearly you can see I wasn't the only one that thought so. Not a big deal.
These cars are tuned by different tuners and on a different dyno so comparing the numbers is useless. It has weight out of it but 3-4 of the guys in this thread have seen/been in the car so they know its not some gutted tin can. I would guess its missing about 150lbs.

thats the 4:10s at work, good run

That's what I think helped a lot as well. Gearing was important in this race

Users who are viewing this thread