C5 Vette e-fans in an L

Status
Not open for further replies.

fullboogie

Established Member
I recently installed a dual fan setup from a 2003 Corvette on my Lightning, and love the results. Very clean, very powerful, and quiet. Lots of Vette owners go with "upgraded" fans for the bling factor. You can pick these up on Ebay or on the corvette forum.

On the how to:

1) 2000-2004 corvette fan setup ($100)
2) MAD fan controller from MAD Enterprises ($90)
3) extra 10, 12, and 16 gauge wire
4) Perma Cool part #105 mounting kit ($5)

The fan setup fits perfectly left to right, but is about 1" too tall. I trimmed the bottom 1" off the fan shroud to make it fit. Also, the shroud will "stand off" from the radiator about 1/2", leaving a gap on the left and right. So, I also trimmed that 1/2" off the left and right side, and 1/2" off the center bar that runs vertically on the radiator-side of the shroud. All this will make it fit perfectly snug up against the radiator.

Mount the MAD controller on the inner fender, passenger side, under the washer bottle and run all your wires per the wiring diagram.

Trim the trailing edge of the factory radiator/hood latch cover, only the part that turns down toward the ground. You will also want to cut a notch to mount the intercooler tank.

All this trimming sounds complicated, but it's not. When you drop the fans into the engine compartment, you will see what needs to be trimmed. It was done with a cutoff wheel, and is very, very easy.

Finally, you will want to make a new bracket to hold the intercooler tank. It normally bolts to the factory fan shroud. The new fans do not have a provision for this. I made an "L" bracket out of 1" strap aluminum, drilled two holes, and mounted it that way.

The mounting kit is from Perma Cool, part #105 ($5).

It's a really easy install. If anybody has questions, shoot me a PM.

fans.JPG

fans2.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread