C4 tranny issue

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Good morning. It has been a while since I last posted. I have been swamped with work and haven't had time to play with my car projects.

Anyway, I ran into an issue with my 84 mustang that I wanted to see if anyone could shed any light on. The C4 is exhibiting the following:

Will shift normal (1, 2, D) when in D. If I manually put it in 1st and take off easy, it immediately shifts to 2nd (can't even notice it half the time) and will hold 2nd till I shift to 2nd and then D. if I try to downshift to 2nd (driving at speed it should downshift) it will hesitate and then downshift. If I try to downshift into first (around 10mph) it won't ever downshift.

If I put it in first and hammer the throttle, the car will stay in 1st until I shift into 2nd.

Does anyone have any ideas? All the manual shift points are set-up correctly. If you get under the car you can hear each point click into gear when you ratchet the shifter. Reverse, Neutral, and park work fine, as well as drive.

Thanks!

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Good morning. It has been a while since I last posted. I have been swamped with work and haven't had time to play with my car projects.

Anyway, I ran into an issue with my 84 mustang that I wanted to see if anyone could shed any light on. The C4 is exhibiting the following:

Will shift normal (1, 2, D) when in D. If I manually put it in 1st and take off easy, it immediately shifts to 2nd (can't even notice it half the time) and will hold 2nd till I shift to 2nd and then D. if I try to downshift to 2nd (driving at speed it should downshift) it will hesitate and then downshift. If I try to downshift into first (around 10mph) it won't ever downshift.

If I put it in first and hammer the throttle, the car will stay in 1st until I shift into 2nd.

Does anyone have any ideas? All the manual shift points are set-up correctly. If you get under the car you can hear each point click into gear when you ratchet the shifter. Reverse, Neutral, and park work fine, as well as drive.

Thanks!

An update from today. car now won't go into 1st when I select first, but it will go into 1st when in D. I am guessing it is either a sticking valve or the B&M shifter isn't fully engaging first.

Frid

Established Member
My buddy is having the same issue except with he runs WOT when its in 1st it automatically shifts into 2nd. He had taken it to one of my buddies who works at summit and he said either a manual valve body or kick down cable would probably fix it but he didnt guarantee anything. I can try to look into it more for ya cause im putting a c4 myself behind a 302. (shift kit, servos, stall, and tranny oil cooler)

Users who are viewing this thread