Bypass valve VS Blow off valve for a Procharger?

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
I currently have the large red Procharger race bypass valve and the thing is freakin LOUD driving down the road, it sounds like a jet which is cool, but cruising at 80 on the interstate it almost drowns out the radio. I'm thinking about selling it and getting a blow off valve so it will only make noise when the throttle snaps shut, instead of venting all the time it see's vacuum. Is there any reason's I shouldn't swap it for a blow off valve?

Mark

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
your set up as bypass now and its loud?

i just got my valve in the mail today and i was wondering where you mounted it?
if you have any pics that would be great.
[email protected]

i personally think the blow off valve sounds cool. but i would have to change my draw through set up in order to have that, and my tuner doesnt want that.

J

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
I'm running a Greddy Bypass valve that can also be a blow off valve. It is pretty darn quiet at idle. You can hear it if you listen closely but other than that only when you let off with some psi's built up. I have it set up as Blow off
2305927_14_full.jpg

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
Bypass valve bypasses air anytime it see's vacuum, blow off valves only "blow off" after seeing lots of boost and when the throttle snaps shut, they are spring loaded and "blow off" making that sounds like the ricer turbo cars running around.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
viperbluelx said:
Bypass valve bypasses air anytime it see's vacuum, blow off valves only "blow off" after seeing lots of boost and when the throttle snaps shut, they are spring loaded and "blow off" making that sounds like the ricer turbo cars running around.

Yeah, I know, This unit is spring rate adjustable. So it is capable of doing both. I have it set pretty hard. it makes a big pssssst sound comeing of boost. If I set it to soft it is always open and closed only under boost.

ClOckwOrk

Established Member
ive heard if you route the open end of the bypass valve back into the intake side it drowns out most of the sound. i wouldnt know, i run a blowoff valve, and yes, it sounds like a turbo. but its not much louder than the suction sound of the blower i have, its a jacked up TK kit which has some crazy sounds lol

Red Devil

Village Idiot
Established Member
I just had a vortech mini race bypass installed today. Sounds like the windows cracked at normal driving and a loud Pshhhhhhhhhhht when you get out of boost. Mine is mounted right off the intercooler behind the driver side fog light. I switched because I was getting compressor surge and the car would stall and got horrific mileage. I had 2 BOVs. An after market Bosch and the stock procharger POS. My tuner suggested the vortech as the best for my setup.

Last edited:

cobra2547

Established Member
I have a 98 cobra with a d1sc I had the votech mini and I got alot of surging with it. Then I switched to the procharger race and it solved all my surging problems. Its routed back into the intake and its loud but I love it.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
cobra2547 said:
I have a 98 cobra with a d1sc I had the votech mini and I got alot of surging with it. Then I switched to the procharger race and it solved all my surging problems. Its routed back into the intake and its loud but I love it.

awesome.
ive heard great things about that valve thats why i went that route( also i will be running around 17psi)

cobra2547 if you have any pics could you send me a couple?
[email protected]

did you end up using the vacuum line procharger supplied?
I take it you had to weld up the stock port where the stock bypass valve hooked up to?

i believe thse stock bypass was set up with 1.5 inch hoses. did you have to get a reducer hose or something to make it go down to the size of the intake inlet?

sorry for all the questions, i really dont like custome fab stuff. im pretty hooked on the bolt and go stuff. so i get kinda wierd when it comes to stuff like this. plus my motor is out of my car so i really dont have anything to test fit it on.

thanks
J

frdmstnggt

Mine: Audi, Yours: Innie
Established Member
In your picture, Type911, you have the BOV venting to the atmoshpere. That doesn't make your car stumble or go rich everytime you change gears. I was told that you your vehicle has a MAF system that you should recirc that air back to the intake tube behind the MAF sensor.

Red Devil

Village Idiot
Established Member
cobra2547 said:
Yeah, I would've thought the vortech mini bypass would be too small for that head unit. I have a bosch blow off mounted righted before my MAF. My tuner said it was good as a back up.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
frdmstnggt said:
In your picture, Type911, you have the BOV venting to the atmoshpere. That doesn't make your car stumble or go rich everytime you change gears. I was told that you your vehicle has a MAF system that you should recirc that air back to the intake tube behind the MAF sensor.

depends. If your set up as draw through with Maf before the Blower you need to recirculate. If Maf is after Blower (Blow Through)its personal preferance.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
Red Devil said:
I just had a vortech mini race bypass installed today. Sounds like the windows cracked at normal driving and a loud Pshhhhhhhhhhht when you get out of boost. Mine is mounted right off the intercooler behind the driver side fog light. I switched because I was getting compressor surge and the car would stall and got horrific mileage. I had 2 BOVs. An after market Bosch and the stock procharger POS. My tuner suggested the vortech as the best for my setup.

did our stalling problem stop now?
if not you may have some maf backwash going on.(if your drawthrough that is)

J

Red Devil

Village Idiot
Established Member
no_slow_svt said:
did our stalling problem stop now?
if not you may have some maf backwash going on.(if your drawthrough that is)

J
Yup. No stalling and it idles nicely. Gas mileage issue looks to be better. Took a 1/2 tank to get to the shop and a 1/4 tank coming home.

frdmstnggt

Mine: Audi, Yours: Innie
Established Member
type911 said:
depends. If your set up as draw through with Maf before the Blower you need to recirculate. If Maf is after Blower (Blow Through)its personal preferance.

Cool, just some useful information I could use. I was refering to your setup from what I know about how the Subaru WRX's re-act to BOV. I know that they are completely different companies but I figured it would be the same.

blowngt

Established Member
viperbluelx said:
I currently have the large red Procharger race bypass valve and the thing is freakin LOUD driving down the road, it sounds like a jet which is cool, but cruising at 80 on the interstate it almost drowns out the radio. I'm thinking about selling it and getting a blow off valve so it will only make noise when the throttle snaps shut, instead of venting all the time it see's vacuum. Is there any reason's I shouldn't swap it for a blow off valve?

Mark

If you recirculate it back into the system it will take all of that noise away. Are you set up as a draw thru or blow thru??? By the sound of it, you're running a blow thru and are venting to the atmosphere. When I was running 22#'s thru my F1A, you couldn't hear anything until you were WOT, and then it was a very little "pfffT", but I was running a draw thru and had to recirulate the vented air.

Users who are viewing this thread