Buying Used Truck

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
Im going to check out an 04 f150 FX4 Crew cab tonight. It has 135,000 but is priced well at $10,900. What would you folks check out? Ive heard guys doing compression checks and etc. What I am told so far is he replaced plugs and coils recently which I hear are a PITA. He says there isnt any motor valve train noise, which I somewhat find that hard to believe. So what else do I need to check out? Also price he just listed it yesterday, if everything checks out should I try and offer $10,500? Thanks for the help.:beer:

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Honestly, it's nothing I would jump on. Priced kind of high IMHO. My friend bought an 05 FX4 with 85k miles for $11k 2 years ago that was really clean and had maintanance records of everything ever done to it. I wouldn't even offer anything over $8500, and that's top dollar in my opinion.

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
Honestly, it's nothing I would jump on. Priced kind of high IMHO. My friend bought an 05 FX4 with 85k miles for $11k 2 years ago that was really clean and had maintanance records of everything ever done to it. I wouldn't even offer anything over $8500, and that's top dollar in my opinion.

Exactly, thats too much money for that truck. Is it at a pre-owned lot or private seller?

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Not sure how your used market is, but, that seems high to me.
Older body style, right? (97-2004)

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
In 09 the value dropped. My buddy bought one then, but since its shot back up. Ive kept an eye on them for a few years and this is one of the better deals i have saw. 04 is usually around $15,000 for 100k miles!!

Exactly, thats too much money for that truck. Is it at a pre-owned lot or private seller?
Private

Not sure how your used market is, but, that seems high to me.
Older body style, right? (97-2004)
New body style.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Trucks are so overpriced right now it's not even funny.

If you want a decent 4x4 with under 100K miles, its going to be around $20,000.

testorossa1989

Established Member
Buying a used truck is always a questionable situation because you truly never know whats up with that vehicle. Looking at their function and use, its almost guaranteed to be abused in one way or another. I more or less would focus on any leaking fluids around the valve covers, transmission, rear ect as well as using your best judgement. A truck with 110k that has been used will likely have a drip here and there. If everything is spotless clean and isnt titled to an old lady you should be asking some questions. I would also pull a spark plug or two and see how the engine is. A plug can tell a big story. Your handing some stranger 10k you are allowed to ask any questions and check anything you please.

Last edited:

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
Just for reference, at my store I have a 2009 F-150 ext. cab, XLT, 49k miles and its advertised at $22,900. Idk if this will help you in anyway I just thought I'd throw it out there.

And thats retail. Guessing private party would be under $20k.

nsolimini

Established Member
That year was the first year they used vacuum hubs. Check the 4x4, makes sure it engages and will also shift into low range. Also, listen to see if the hubs are bad, while driving with the windows down it will kinda sound like chains dangling and hitting the road.

Gravik

Established Member
Trucks are so overpriced right now it's not even funny.

If you want a decent 4x4 with under 100K miles, its going to be around $20,000.

Depends on the truck, cause you can easily get a 4x4 4.0 Ranger for well under $20k.

99GreenCobra

Established Member
I paid 15,800 for my 07 Lariat Screw with 109,000km. The plugs are a major PIA, mine are still original and need doing. The 04's had trouble with the cam phasers. They sound like a diesel when they go. And exhaust manifold gaskets suck too.

Users who are viewing this thread